Abdul Jabbar (Arabic: عبد الجبار ) is a Muslim male given name, and in modern usage, surname. It is built from the Arabic words Abd, al- and Jabbar. The name means "servant of the All-compeller", Al-Jabbar being one of the names of God in the Qur'an, which give rise to the Muslim theophoric names.
The letter a of the al- is unstressed, and can be transliterated by almost any vowel, often by e. So the first part can appear as Abdel, Abdul or Abd-al. The second part may appear as Jabbar, Jabar or in other ways. The whole name is subject to variable spacing and hyphenation.
People with this name include:
- Abd al-Jabbar ibn Ahmad (935-1025), Iraqi Qadi and religious author
- Khan Abdul Jabbar Khan (1882–1958), Pakistani politician
- Abdul Jabbar Khan (1902–1984), Pakistani politician
- Abdul Jabbar (activist) (1919–1952), Bengali-language demonstrator
- Abdul Jabbar Hassoon Jerri, known as Abdul Jerri (born 1932), Iraqi American physicist and mathematician
- Abdulwahid AlAbduljabbar (1935–1970), Saudi political prisoner
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (born 1947), American basketball player
- Abdul Jabbar Taqwa (born 1954), Afghan politician
- Karim Abdul-Jabbar, a previous name of Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar (born 1974), American footballer
- Abdul Jabar (Qala-i-Jangi captive) (born 1975), Afghan
- Abdul Jabar (Bagram detainee), Afghan who was detained in the American Bagram Collection Point
- Haidar Abdul-Jabar (born 1976), Iraqi footballer who plays defender
- Ahmad Abdul-Jabar (born 1978), Iraqi footballer who plays midfielder
- Abdul Jabbar (Canadian cricketer) (born 1983), Pakistani-Canadian cricketer
- Abdul Jabbar (singer), Bangladeshi singer
- Abdul Jabbar (Kalat cricketer), Pakistani
- Abdel-Sattar Abdel-Jabbar, Iraqi cleric
- Abdul Jabbar al-Oqaidi, Syrian soldier
- Abdul Jabar Sabet, Afghan politician
- Abdul Jabbar Naeemi, Afghan politician
- Al-Haj Mamur Abdul Jabar Shulgari, Afghan politician
- Abdul Jalilul Jabbar, 17th-century sultan of Brunei
- Abdul-Jabar Hashim Hanoon (born 1970), Iraqi footballer who played defender
- Salahuddin Ahmed (1999). A Dictionary of Muslim Names. London: Hurst & Company.
- S. A. Rahman (2001). A Dictionary of Muslim Names. New Delhi: Goodword Books.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|