|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama|
January 4, 2010
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||U. W. Clemon|
April 5, 1969 |
Freetown, Sierra Leone
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College
University of Pennsylvania
Abdul Karim Kallon (born April 5, 1969) is a United States district judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama and is a nominee to be a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Early life and education
Born in Freetown, Sierra Leone, Kallon earned a bachelor's degree from Dartmouth College in 1990. He then earned a law degree in 1993 from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he served as Articles Editor for the University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Business Law.
Kallon served as a law clerk for United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama Judge U. W. Clemon from 1993 until 1994.
From 1994 to his judicial appointment, Kallon worked in private legal practice in Birmingham, Alabama. He practiced labor and employment law as a partner at the Birmingham law firm Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP.
Federal judicial service
On July 31, 2009, President Barack Obama nominated Kallon to be a judge on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama. Kallon was nominated for the seat vacated by Clemon, who retired earlier in 2009. According to news accounts, Kallon had been recommended for the judgeship by a panel of legal experts assembled by U.S. Rep. Artur Davis. However, his name was not on a list of candidates compiled by a committee of the Alabama Democratic Party.
On February 11, 2016 President Obama nominated Kallon to serve as a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, to the seat vacated by Judge Joel Fredrick Dubina, who took senior status on October 26, 2013. His nomination is currently pending before the Senate Judiciary Committee.
- Biography - Abdul K. Kallon, lawyers.com
- President Obama Nominates Abdul K. Kallon and Jacqueline H. Nguyen to Serve on the District Court Bench, whitehouse.gov (July 31, 2009).
- Mary Orndorff, President Obama nominates Abdul Kallon for federal judgeship in Birmingham, The Birmingham News (July 31, 2009).
- Mary Orndorff, Birmingham's Abdul Kallon confirmed by Senate for federal judgeship, The Birmingham News (November 23, 2009).
- "President Obama Nominates Judge Abdul K. Kallon to Serve on the United States Court of Appeals" White House, February 11, 2016
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate" White House, February 11, 2016
- Abdul Kallon at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
U. W. Clemon
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama