Abdul Majid Daryabadi
|Maulana Abdul Majid Daryabadi
مولانا عبدل ماجد دریابادی
16 March 1892|
|Died||6 January 1977
Maulana Abdul Majid Daryabadi (Urdu: عبدل ماجد دريابادي) (16 March 1892 – 6 January 1977) was an Indian Muslim writer and exegete of the Qur'an. Daryabadi was actively associated with the Khilafat Movement; Royal Asiatic Society, London; Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh; Nadwatul Ulema, Lucknow; Shibli Academy, Azamgarh, and several other leading Islamic and literary organisations. In addition to contributing an extensive commentary on the Qur'an in English, Daryabadi wrote also an independent Tafsir in Urdu published as Tafsir Majidi (Academy of Islamic Research and Publications, Lucknow). He also authored book Hakeem -ul- Ummat in 1950. He also authored biography named Muhammad Ali Zati Diary in 1943.
He obtained his BA(Hons) in Philosophy from Canning College, Lucknow in 1912. In his academic career, he edited the Urdu weekly Sach and then Sidq (1925–76). Amin Ahsan Islahi, another Indo-Pak Muslim scholar, also worked with him on his weekly newspaper, Sach. For higher studies, MA Philosophy, he joined the then MAO College and then went to St Stephen's College of Delhi, but because of his financial crisis, he could not complete the course. His first book in English, The Psychology of Leadership, was published by Louis Fisher, London in 1913.
Since childhood, he took great interest in reading a variety of books and writing articles. His first article was published in an Urdu daily, Wakeel Amritsar at the young age of nine years. Philosophy, logic and psychology were his favourite subjects. He studied several books of Orientalists and under their influence, became sceptical of religion and called himself a "rationalist". For almost nine years, he remained away from religion but repented and became a devout Muslim.
He came in contact with the great Muslim scholar, Moulana Shibli and assisted him in the composition of Sirat-un-Nabi. He developed friendship with Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Syed Sulaiman Nadwi, Maulana Muhammad Ali Jouhar, Akbar Allahbadi and many prominent literary figures. He wrote more than fifty books on the Quran, the life of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, travelogues, philosophy and psychology. He also penned biographies, literary and critical essays, hosted radio talks and also translated a number of books into chaste Urdu in accordance with the Lucknow School of writing.
Aaap Beeti is autobiography of Daryabadi.
Abdul Qavi Desnavi published a special number on Daryabadi in Lucknow edition of Naya Daur an Urdu monthly magazine. He also published a review on Daryabadi in Maasreen published in Sahir Bombay Vol. 51 – No. 7 in 1980.
In 2008 Md. Shams Alam a Research Scholars from 'Department of Arabic, Persian and Urdu' of University of Madras published a research paper on Daryabadi which was titled Moulana Abdul Majid Daryabadi ki ilmi wa adabi khidmath.
- Falsafa e Ijtima Yani Jamaat Ki Dimaghi Zindagi Ki Tamseel Wa Tashrih
- Language: Urdu, Year: 1915, Subject: Philosophy, Psychology, 258 pgs
- Falsafa e Jazbat
- Language: Urdu, Year: 1920, Subject: Philosophy, Psychology, 264 pgs
- Feeh Ma Feeh Malfuzat Muhammad Jalaluddin Rumi Wa Tabsira
- Language: Persian, Year: 1928, Subject: Religion, Theology, 302 pgs
- Mardaun Ki Seemaee
- Language: Urdu, Year: 1943, Subject: Language, Linguistics, Literature, 310 pgs
- Mazameen Abdul Majid Darya Badi
- Language: Urdu, Year: 1943, Subject: Language, Linguistics, Literature, 260 pgs
- Muhammad Ali Zati Diary
- Language: Urdu, Year: 1943, Subject: Geography, Biography, History, 194 pgs
- Tafseer e Quran (Tafseer e Majidi) Vol 1
- Language: Urdu, Year: 1968, Subject: Religion, Theology, 810 pgs
- Tafseer e Quran (Tafseer e Majidi) Vol 2
- Language: Urdu, Year: 1996, Subject: Religion, Theology, 860 pgs
- Tafseer e Quran (Tafseer e Majidi) Vol 3
- Language: Urdu, Year: 2000, Subject: Religion, Theology, 530 pgs
- Wafiyat e Majdi Ya Nashri Marsiye
- Language: Urdu, Year: 1975, Subject: Language, Linguistics, Literature, 250 pgs
- Muhammad Ali Zati Diary
- Language: Urdu, Year: 1943, Subject: Religion, Theology, 192 pgs
Following is the list of books authored by Daryabadi listed at 'Islamic Books Library':
- Tafseer – e – Majidi
- Tafseer – e – Majidi – English
- Bashriyyat -e- Ambiya [A.S]
- Hakeem -ul- Ummat
- Aap Beeti
- "Tafseer -e- Majidi By Shaykh Abdul Majid Daryabadi (ra)". Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Daryabadi, Hazrat Maulana Abdul Majidi. Tafseer-e-Majidi. 17-Urdu Bazaar, Lahore: Pak Comapany.
- "Hakeem -ul- Ummat". Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- "Muhammad Ali Zati Diary by Abdul Majid Daryabadi". The Universal Digital Library. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- Qidwai, Abdul Aleem. Maulana Abdul Majid Daryabadi: Hayaat wa Khidmaat.
- "Relationship with Maulana Muhammad Ali" (PDF). www.abdulhaq.info. p. 2. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "Aap Beeti By Shaykh Abdul Majid Daryabadi (r.a)". Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "Abdul Qavi Desnavi Biography". Bihar Urdu Youth Forum, Bihar. Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- "University of Madras: Department of Arabic, Persian and Urdu: Research Scholars". University of Madras. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Books by Abdul Majid Daryabadi". The Universal Digital Library. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "Books by Abdul Majid Daryabadi". Islamic Books Library. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- Online Quran Project includes the Qur'an translation of Abdul Majid Daryabadi.
- THE HOLY QUR’AN Translated by Daryabadi, Abdul-Majid, 1941–57
- His Translation and Commentary of the Quran is beneficial for students who seek knowledge in comparative religions. The Glorious Quran: Text, Translation and Commentary
- "Seminar on Maulana Abdul Majid Daryabadi". The Milli Gazette. 1–15 Feb 2005. Retrieved 29 March 2013.