Abdul Somad speaking at a school event in Pekanbaru, March 2018
|Born||Abdul Somad BatubaraMay 18, 1977|
|Home town||Pekanbaru, Riau, Indonesia|
|Parents||Father : Abdul Karim Batubara |
Mother : Hj Rohana
|Alma mater||Al-Azhar University, Egypt Dar al-Hadith al-Hasaniyyah, Morocco|
|Occupation||Da'i, hadith scholar, ulama, lecturer|
Abdul Somad Batubara (born May 18, 1977) is an Indonesian Islamic preacher and ulama from Asahan, North Sumatra. He is known for his lectures on various religious issues, especially regarding hadith studies and Islamic jurisprudence. In addition, he often discusses trending topics in the Muslim community and society, such as nationalism. His dawah and lectures are characterized by unique rhetoric and humor that attract layman as well, and often broadcast through the YouTube channel and other social media. He is currently also serving as a lecturer at the Sultan Syarif Kasim II State Islamic University (UIN Suska) in Riau. In addition to his lecture, he authors several books, among them are translations of Arabic publications, and religious guides regarding individual subjects such as qurbani and salah.
He went through his elementary education at Al-Washliyah, a school based on Quranic memorization. After the graduation in 1990, he moved to continue his education at Mu'allimin al-Washliyah in Medan. After graduating in 1993, he returned to Riau to study at Nurul Falah Higher Madrasah, completing it in 1996. In 1998, he was among 100 students who received scholarships which were granted by the Egyptian government to the Indonesian students studying at Al-Azhar University. In 2004, the Moroccan government provided him scholarships for post-graduate education at Dar al-Hadith al-Hasaniyyah Institute which annually receives 20 students, constitute of 15 Moroccans and five foreigners.
His personality is described as simple and ordinary, with his lectures attracting people because of his interaction with audiences, humor, and depth in knowledge instead of charisma, exemplified by other well-known da'is and televangelist figures such as Abdullah Gymnastiar and Zainuddin MZ. His style of lecture is considered less suited for large-scale and national level events, but more for small-scale lectures inside the local mosques. It is considered that the proliferation of his lectures through the Internet due to the popularization of social media has led to his national fame.
- 99 Tanya Jawab Seputar Shalat (2009).
- 77 Tanya Jawab Seputar Shalat (2013).
- 37 Masalah Populer.
- 33 Tanya Jawab Seputar Qurban.
- 55 Nasihat Bagi Wanita Sebelum Menikah (Terjemahan).
- Amalan Yang Paling di Dicintai Allah (2018).
- Dr. Khalifah Muhammad Hasan, Sejarah Agama Yahudi. Co-translated with Faisal Saleh.
- Syekh Mahmud Al Mishri, Semua Ada Saatnya.
In an October 2017 video posted on the Islamic-oriented YouTube channel Fodamara TV, Abdul Somad attracted controversy for stating that Muslims who shop or buy at coffee shops owned by Starbucks would go to hell due to the company's pro-LGBT policies. The video went viral in March 2018 with many online mocking the preacher for being hypocritical, noting that many of the platforms that Somad uses to spread his message such as YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter have similar pro-LGBT policies to Starbucks. Abdul Somad later responded that Youtube, Facebook, and such are simply tools that can bring more good than harm if used to spread Islamic teachings and videos, unlike buying things from companies like Starbucks which has no benefit for the spread of Islam.
- "Dosen Fakultas Ushuluddin - Universitas Islam Negeri Sultan Syarif Kasim Riau (Faculty Usuluddin Lectorer - Sultan Syarif Kasim Islamic State University)" (in Indonesian). Sultan Syarif Kasim Islamic State University. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- Abdurrahman, Muhammad Sufyan. "Mengenal Dakwah Digital syekh Abdul Somad Pekanbaru". detiknews. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "Syekh Abdul Somad dan Media Sosial dalam Dakwah - dakwatuna.com". dakwatuna.com (in Indonesian). 2017-06-22. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "Ulama Dibidik; Giliran Ustadz Abdul Somad Lc Akan Dipolisikan Karena Ceramah Ini... - Ngelmu". www.ngelmu.id. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "Syekh Abdul Somad, Ternyata Seperti Inilah Aslinya!". Jonru Ginting (in Indonesian). 2017-08-18. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "Buku Ustadz Kita » 33 Tanya Jawab Seputar Qurban • www.tbtafaqquh.com". tbtafaqquh.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "Buku Ustadz Kita » 99 Tanya Jawab Seputar Shalat - Ustadz Abdul Somad, Lc. MA • www.tbtafaqquh.com". tbtafaqquh.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- Ustadz Somad Menyetujui Ketua MPR, Dukung Persatuan Umat Islam. Hidayatullah Online. Retrieved November 14, 2017
- Mengaku Tolak Undangan Presiden Jokowi, ini 7 Fakta Ustadz Abdul Somad yang Diungkap Jonru. Tribun Timur. Retrieved November 14, 2017
- Mengenal Dakwah Digital Ustadz Abdul Somad Pekanbaru. detiknews. Retrieved November 14, 2017
- "Amalan Yang Paling Dicintai Allah".
- "Muslims buying from Starbucks will go to hell, says popular preacher". The Jakarta Post. 28 April 2018. Retrieved 30 April 2018.