Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan
|Motto||Message of peace and Brotherhood.|
|Chancellor||Governor of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prop.Dr. Mohammad Khurshid Khan|
|501, among whom are 196 PhDs and 138 M.Phils.|
|Location||Mardan, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
|Athletics||Running, tug of war|
|Sports||Cricket, football, hockey, volleyball, table tennis, badminton, basketball|
Abdul Wali Khan University, Mardan (Urdu: جامعہ عبد الولی خان مردان) or AWKUM, is a public university located in Mardan, Pakistan. Established in April 2009, the university is named after Abdul Wali Khan, a prominent personality of Pashtunkhwa and has forty nine institutions affiliated to it. The university started in an already-built postgraduate college of Mardan, has nine campuses and more than ten thousand students enrolled in thirty one disciplines as of 2015. The campus at Swabi was opened in October 2010 in the Anbar elementary college building and has since then become the University of Swabi and the Palosa campus is home to Bacha Khan University. Currently the university has five faculties and three constituent colleges. The faculties are Faculty of Arts & Humanities, Faculty of Chemical and Life Sciences, Faculty of Physical & Numerical Sciences, Faculty of Economics & Business, Faculty of Social Sciences. The Pashtunkhwa College of Art, Womans' College and the Animal Husbandry and Veterinary College are also constituent colleges of the University.
- 1 Faculties and departments
- 2 University Colleges
- 3 Campuses and libraries
- 4 Journals
- 5 Extra-curricular activities
- 6 Academic collaborations
- 7 Mashal Khan incident
- 8 Vice Chancellors
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Faculties and departments
Abdul Wali Khan University consists of five faculties, which have the following departments:
Faculty of Arts & Humanities
- Fine Arts
- Islamic Studies
Faculty of Business & Economics
- Management Sciences
- Tourism & Hospitality
Faculty of Chemical & Life Sciences
Faculty of Physical & Numerical Sciences
- Computer Science
Faculty of Social Sciences
- International Relations (IR)
- Political Science
- Physical Education & Sports
- Journalism & Mass Communication
- University College for Women
- Pakhtunkhwa College of Arts
- College of Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Sciences
Campuses and libraries
The university has several campuses, each with library facilities:
- Main Campus—Central Library
- Garden Campus
- Pabbi Campus
- Palosa Campus
- Riffat Mahal Campus
- Shankar Campus
- Timergara Campus
There is also a digital library serving all campuses.
University College of Science, Shankar
The University College of Science, Shankar has departments of Chemistry and Computer Science. University College of Science, Shankar, is housed in a 12.5-acre complex with state-of-the-art research laboratories. It has full-fledged working laboratories in physical chemistry, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, analytical chemistry and computer science. A video lecture facility is also available.
The newly constructed Garden Campus of the university is spread over on more than 2000 Kanals of land having state of the art infrastructure, well equipped laboratories, one of the biggest libraries of the region, computer labs, three hostels with a capacity of 1500 students, two on campus colleges, sports complex and many other facilities. Classes in the campus have been started.
- Tahdhīb al Afkār
Tahdhīb al Afkārbiannual is the biannual Islamic studies research journal of Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan published in three different languages English,Urdu and Arabic.
The university provides extra-curricular activities such as painting, articles, photography, and sport. The students can participate through proper channels. The university provides facilities for many sports; they have been merged into the Department of Physical Education and Health, and named as Department of Physical Education and Sports.
Abdul Wali Khan University, Mardan establish partnerships with national as well as international universities, associations, institutes, and academies and have signed a memorandum of understanding(MOUs or MoUs) with each. The following is the list of international collaborations.
Mashal Khan incident
On 13 April 2017 Mashal Khan, a journalism student at the university, was murdered by a mob apparently including some of his fellow students on the false suspicion of uploading blasphemous content on the social networking site Facebook.
- Dr Ihsan Ali (SI) (2009 – March 20, 2017)
- Dr Jehanzeb Khalil (Pro-VC) (May 12, 2017 – Sep 15, 2017)
- Dr Mohammad Khurshid Khan (Sep 18, 2017 - present)
- "Professor Dr. M. Khurshid Khan, Newly Appointed Vice-Chancellor of AWKUM, Will Take Charge of His Office Today".
- "University Info". AWKUM. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "Wali Khan varsity marks foundation day today". Dawn. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "49 colleges affiliated with AWK University, says VC". The News. 27 February 2010. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- Sadia Qasim Shah (15 June 2013). "It’s time new KP varsities offer quality education". Dawn. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- Muhammad Farooq (24 October 2010). "Hoti inaugurates Wali Khan varsity campus in Swabi". The News. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- "Libraries". AWKUM. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "Garden Campus construction".
- "Tahdhīb al Afkār". tahdhibalafkar.com.
- "Extra Curricular activities". AWKUM. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "Sports". AWKUM. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "Mardan university students beat ‘liberal’ classmate to death". samaa.tv. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- "Three AWKU employees among 13 arrested in Mashal Khan case". tribune.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- "Khattak for judicial probe into student lynching". nation.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.