Abdullah Abu Sayeed
Abdullah Abu Sayeed
Sayeed in 2014
আবদুল্লাহ্ আবু সায়ীদ
|Born||25 July 1939|
Park Circus, Calcutta, British India (now India)
|Occupation||Teacher, writer, television presenter, activist|
Abdullah Abu Sayeed (born 25 July 1939) is a Bangladeshi teacher, writer, television presenter, and activist. He is currently the chairman of Bishwa Sahitya Kendra, a non-profit organization that promotes the study of literature, reading habits and progressive ideas.
Sayeed was born on 25 July 1939 in Park Circus, Calcutta. His father was Azimuddin Ahmed, a teacher of English and Bengali literature, and a playwright. Sayeed passed the Secondary School Certificate (SSC) exam from Pabna Zilla School in 1955 and the Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) exam from Prafulla Chandra College in Bagerhat in 1957. He later earned BA and MA degrees in Bengali from the University of Dhaka in 1960 and 1961 respectively.
In the mid-1970s, he started presenting Shaptabarna (Seven Colors), a TV show on Bangladesh Television. In the 1970s and 1980s, he also presented TV show Eid Anadamela. He received the National Television Award in 1977.
In 1978, he founded the Bishwa Sahitya Kendra.
Sayeed has written and edited more than 50 books.
- Bidaye, Obonti (2005)
- Bohe Joloboti Dhara (2006)
- Bhalobashar Shampan (2007)
- Bishwo Shahitto Kendro O Ami (2007)
- Bisrosto Journal (2007)
- Amar Uposthapok Jibon (2008)
- Amar Ashabad (2009)
- Amar Boka Shoishob (2010)
- Ramon Magsaysay Award (2004) in journalism, literature, and creative communication arts for "cultivating in the youth of Bangladesh a love for books and their humanizing values through exposure to the great works of Bengal and the world".
- National Television Award (1977)
- Mahbub Ullah Trust Award (1998)
- Ekushey Padak (2005)
- Bangla Academy Literary Award (2011) for his essays
- Khan Muhammad Farabi Memorial Award (2012)
- Star Lifetime Award on Education (2016)
- "The 'bookworm' in full form: Abdullah Abu Sayeed turns 72". The Daily Star. 2011-07-27. Retrieved 2012-12-25.
- "Sayeed, Abdullah Abu". Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- Hossain, Selina; Islam, Nurul; Hossain, Mobarak, eds. (2000). Bangla Academy Dictionary of Writers. Bangla Academy. p. 2. ISBN 984-07-4052-0.
- Lorraine Hahn (2005-01-14). "Ramon Magsaysay Recipient Abdullah Abu Sayeed TalkAsia Transcript". CNN. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- Shamim Ahsan (2004-09-03). "Recognised for an Enlightening Pursuit". Star Weekend Magazine. The Daily Star. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- "Prof. Abdullah Abu Sayeed". The Daily Star. 2016-02-05. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- "Professor Abdullah Abu Sayeed's 80th birth anniversary today". The Daily Star. 2019-07-25. Retrieved 2019-07-24.
- "Bangla Academy prizes announced". bdnews24.com. 2012-02-18. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- "Prof Abu Sayeed gets Farabi memorial award". The Daily Star. 2012-09-28. Retrieved 2018-08-10.
|This biographical article about a Bangladeshi activist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Bangladeshi writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|