Abdullah Al-Salim Al-Sabah
|Abdullah Al-Salem Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah|
|Reign||29 January 1950 – 24 November 1965|
|Predecessor||Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah|
|Successor||Sabah III Al-Salim Al-Sabah|
|Born||1 January 1895|
|Died||24 November 1965(aged 70)|
|Father||Salim Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah|
11th Ruler & 1st Emir of Kuwait
|Reference style||His Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Highness|
Abdullah III Al-Salim Al-Sabah (1895 – 24 November 1965) (Arabic: عبد الله الثالث السالم الصباح) was the 1st Emir of Kuwait and the Commander of the Military of Kuwait from 29 January 1950 until his death, and the eldest son of Salim Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah. As the eleventh ruler of the al-Sabah dynasty in Kuwait, he took power after the death of his cousin Sheikh Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah. He also ruled as regent upon the death of his father until the election of Sheikh Ahmad.
Unlike his predecessors, he was more pro-Arab than pro-British. He effectively ended the British "protectorate" status of Kuwait by signing a treaty with the British on 19 June 1961. He is regarded as the founder of modern Kuwait. He introduced the Constitution of Kuwait in 1962, followed by the parliament in 1963.
Sheikh Abdullah Al-Salim died two years later after suffering from a heart attack and was succeeded by his half-brother, Sabah III Al-Salim Al-Sabah. He was also the father of Sheikh Saad Al-Abdullah Al-Salim Al-Sabah, who ruled briefly in January 2006.
- 1895–1938: Sheikh Abdullah bin Salim Al-Sabah
- 1938–1950: Abdullah bin Salim Al-Sabah, CIE
- 1950–1952: His Highness Abdullah III bin Salim Al-Sabah, Sheikh of Kuwait and dependencies, CIE
- 1952–1956: His Highness Sheikh Sir Abdullah III bin Salim Al-Sabah, Sheikh of Kuwait and dependencies, KCMG, CIE
- 1956–1959: His Highness Sir Abdullah III bin Salim Al-Sabah, Sheikh of Kuwait and dependencies, KCMG, CIE, KStJ
- 1959–1961: His Highness Sir Abdullah III bin Salim Al-Sabah, Sheikh of Kuwait and dependencies, GCMG, CIE, KStJ
- 1961–1965: His Highness Sir Abdullah III bin Salim Al-Sabah, Emir of Kuwait, GCMG, CIE, KStJ
Honours and Awards
Kuwait National Honours
- Sovereign Grand Master of the Order of National Defense.
- Sovereign Grand Master of the Military Duty Order.
Arab and non-Arab Honours
- Companion of the Order of the Indian Empire (CIE) -1938
- Grand Cross of the Legion d'Honneur of France - 1952
- Order of Al-Rafidian, 1st Class of the Kingdom of Iraq - 1952
- Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal - 1953
- Knight of the Order of St John (KStJ) - 1956
- Order of the Crown of Iran, 1st Class of the Empire of Iran - 1958
- GCMG - 1959
- KCMG - 1952
Abdullah Al-Salim Al-SabahBorn: 1895 Died: 24 November 1965
Himself, as Sheikh of Kuwait and dependencies
|Emir of Kuwait
Sabah III Al-Salim Al-Sabah
Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah
|Sheikh of Kuwait
Himself, as Emir of Kuwait