Abdullah bin Muhammad bin Sulayman al-Muhaysini
عبدالله بن محمد بن سليمان المحيسني
|Other names||Abdullah Mohammed Al-Shammari|
|Alma mater||Imam Muhammad ibn Saud Islamic University|
|Other names||Abdullah Mohammed Al-Shammari|
|Post||Qadi (Judge) of the Army of Conquest, Sheikh of Tahrir al-Sham|
He was born in the city of Buraidah, al-Qasim, to a known religious family. Attending elementary school here, he continued secondary school and college in Mecca, where he also graduated from the University of Umm al-Qura in the field of Islamic Jurisprudence. Later he studied Comparative Jurisprudence in the Al-Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University in Riyadh, writing a master treatise on the rule of war refugees according to Islam.
Muhaysini is married and has children.
His father Muhammad ibn Sulayman al-Mohaisany is a known Quran reciter and has served as the imam and preacher of a local mosque in Mecca. He has at least once been arrested by government authorities for his public prayers.
Abdullah al-Muhaysini arrived in Syria in 2013 after his uncle Omar Al-Muhaysini had previously died there fighting the Syrian Arab Army. In an interview with IZRS he stated that his intention when departing towards Syria had been to resolve the internal conflicts between Syrian Opposition factions.
The Syrian civil war
Since his arrival in Syria in 2013, Muhaysini actively served as a preacher and judge, delivering sermons in local mosques, issuing religious verdicts and counseling Islamic groups. In addition he has appeared on the front lines a couple of times, motivating Syrian Opposition fighters and raising their morale. After the conquest of Idlib in 2015, he served as the official judge of the Army of Conquest for Idlib city. Working independently, Muhaysini has good ties to a great range of Islamic factions in Syria, which enables him to intervene in conflicts and settle on resolutions.
In late 2013, Muhaysini posted his support for the then-active Madid Ahl al-Sham campaign on Twitter while identifying one of the fundraiser's organizers, Sa'd bin Sa'd Muhammad Shariyan Al Ka'bi, and its location in Qatar. Madid Ahl al-Sham was a Qatar-based fundraising campaign identified by Muhaysini and others for its financial assistance for Jabhat al-Nusra. The U.S. Department of State identified Madid Ahl al-Sham as a "fundraising campaign that was suspected of sending funds to violent extremist elements in Syria." [viii]
In early 2014 Muhaysini served as a mediator, this time between ISIS and its rival jihadist groups, Al Nusra and Ahrar al Sham. He tried to effect a truce between Islamist factions, which was rejected by ISIS. When al-Qaeda disowned ISIS in early 2014, al Muhaysini called on ISIS members to defect to al-Nusra Front.
In July 2014 Muhaysini interceded in west Idlib during an FSA/Nusra conflict to mediate.
In 2014, Muheisini endorsed scholars of the pro-jihad movement like Al-Balawi, Eyad Quneibi, Tareq Abdulhalim, Hani al-Siba'i, Yusuf al-Ahmed, Abdulaziz al-Tureifi, Suleiman al-Ulwan, Abu Qatada al-Filistini, and Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi.
In September 2015, he released a video showing the "Cubs of al-Aqsa" training camp for children.
After the Russian military intervention in Syria, Al-Muhaysini threatened that Syria would be a "tomb for its invaders" or "graveyard for invaders" in response to the Russian intervention and brought up the Soviet–Afghan War. Muhaysini arranged for foreign fighters of multiple backgrounds to repeat the phrase "The Levant is the graveyard of the Russians", in a video message, among them was a fighter claiming to be from "East Turkestan", according to MEMRI. He declared that in Syria, women's participation in some theaters and jihad in general was obligatory after the Russian intervention.
In May 2016, he reportedly called for the substitution of the Turkish currency for the Syrian currency.
In June 2016, denying rumors of his death or injury, Muhaysini gave a speech.
Muhaysini publicly fundraised for the 2016 offensive to break the Siege of Aleppo from donors in Qatar and other Persian Gulf states. In 2016, Muhaysini thanked donors for providing rockets to fighters in Syria.
In November 2016, Muhaysini tweeted a positive outlook on Trump's election victory for Sunni Muslims. Muhaysini said in a video that Muslims would benefit from open hostility towards them by Trump.
Muhaysini was listed for sanctions by the US Treasury in November 2016. Muhaysini called himself a "national symbol" according to Syrians and expressed his "shock"" at being declared a terrorist by the United States Treasury when he spoke to The New York Times.[better source needed] Muhaysini posted a video replying to the terrorist designation by the USA.[non-primary source needed]
Muhaysini was many times interviewed by American journalist Bilal Abdul Kareem, who leads a pro-opposition news agency called "On the Ground News TV'' (OGN TV) that reports from Syria.[better source needed][non-primary source needed][non-primary source needed]
Turkistan Islamic Party
al-Muhaysini has close relations with the Turkistan Islamic Party (TIP).
He was featured, along with Hani al Siba'ee, Abu Qatada, and Abdurazak al Mahdi in a Turkistan Islamic Party video in August 2015. In August 2015, Abdullah Al-Muhaysini praised the Turkistan Islamic Party fighters in their attacks against the "Nusayris" of Assad's army (Alawites).
At the end of 2015, the Turkistan Islamic Party released a video titled "A Message to the Turkestanis" (رسالة الى التركستانيين) featuring Abdullah Al-Muhaysini, an Al-Qaeda cleric of Saudi origin. Muhaysini urged the "Turkistani Musims" to raise their children to love death like "infidels" love life.
At the end of 2015, the Turkistan Islamic Party released a new video titled "Importance of Martyrdom Operations in Our Current Time" (أهمية العمليات الإستشهادية في زمننا الحاضر) (زامانىمىزدىكى پىدائىيلىق ئەمەلىيىتىنىڭ ئەھمىيىتى) by Abdullah al-Muhaysini.
In 2016, the Turkish Islamist publisher Beyaz Minare Kitap (White Minaret Book) published a Turkish language book titled "Türkistan'dan Şehadete Hicret Hikayeleri 1" containing the biographies of Turkistan Islamic Party fighters along with praise of TIP fighters by Abdullah al-Muhaysini.
Doğu Türkistan Bülteni Haber Ajansı reported that the Turkistan Islamic Party was praised by Abu Qatada along with Abdul Razzaq al Mahdi, Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi, Muhaysini and Zawahiri in late 2016.
In 2016, Muhaysini visited Turkistan Islamic Party fighters before the battle and performed dua. Khan Tuman in Aleppo then came under attack by the TIP. A picture of Muhaysini with a Turkistan Islamic Party fighter in Khan Touman was released by the Turkistan Islamic Party after the battle. They displayed weapons and munitions seized during the battle. Corpses of what the TIP labelled as "Rawafid" (Shia) fighters and pictures of "Iranian" prisoners were released by the TIP.
The Turkistan Islamic Party in Syria released "Blessed Are the Strangers #6" featuring a speech by Hasan Mahsum, as well as by Army of Conquest leader Abdullah al-Muhaysini and fellow scholar Abdurazak al Mahdi at the start of 2017. In the video Abdul Razzaq al-Mahdi and Abdullah al-Muhaysini asked Muslims with money to aid the cause of the Turkistan Islamic Party and praised the Uyghur fighters for their role in the Syrian Civil War fighting against the Syrian government.
Muhaysini, Abu Taher Al Hamawi, and Abdelrazzak Mehdi worked on the formation of the group Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) in January 2017. They are members of the group and appeared in its founding declaration. Attendance at a speech by Moheiseni was manipulated by drawing IDP impoverished people with promises of motorbikes and refrigerators through a raffle by HTS.
In late 2017, Muhaysini was reported to have defected from HTS.
There is a considerable amount of controversy surrounding Muhaysini.
In 2015, Muhaysini reportedly vowed to exterminate Alawite men and wrote that Alawite women could potentially be executed as apostates. Instructions on treatment of children and women of Alawites were given by Muhaysini on Twitter in 2015.[better source needed]
Virgins in the afterlife were promised before the battle of Khan Touman to suicide fighters by Muhaysini.[better source needed] In 2016, virgins whose spit would allegedly sweeten oceans in the afterlife were promised by Muhaysini to fighters before preparing for battle in Aleppo.[better source needed] Muhaysini launched 100 Elephant rockets against Aleppo at the beginning of the attempt to break the siege and thanked Persian Gulf businessmen and Turkey for funding the rockets.[better source needed]
In late 2016, Muhaysini released a video of himself congratulating a Saudi boy from Buraidah he was going to send off to be a suicide bomber, telling his mother that he would go to paradise and be rewarded with virgins, according to MEMRI. The Saudi newspaper Okaz denounced Muhaysini for sending off the Saudi boy as a suicide bomber in Aleppo after promising him virgins in the afterlife. Muhaysini responded against Okaz over the Takfiri label.[non-primary source needed]
On 9 June 2017, he was one of 69 individuals designated by Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain that have financed terrorist organizations and received support from Qatar.
- Hashem, Ali (11 May 2016). "Iranian official says prominent Saudi jihadist 'man in control' in Syria". Al-Monitor.
- Weinberg, David Andrew (January 2017). "Qatar and Terror Finance Part II: Private Funders of al-Qaeda in Syria" (PDF).
- "Islamic charity officials gave millions to al-Qaeda, U.S. says". Washington Post. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "CNN OUTFRONT SPECIAL REPORT: Is Qatar a haven for terror funding?". CNN. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "Chapter 2. Country Reports: Middle East and North Africa Overview". U.S. Department of State. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "Obama Leads Trump Transition Domestically and in Syrian Policy". Stop Terror Finance. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "Saudi cleric's reconciliation initiative for jihadists draws wide support, then a rejection | FDD's Long War Journal". FDD's Long War Journal. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- Joscelyn, Thomas (3 February 2014). "Pro-al Qaeda Saudi cleric calls on ISIS members to defect". Long War Journal. Foundation for Defense of Democracies.
- "حل خلافات جبهة النصرة مع فصائل مسلحة في ريف إدلب". all4syria. 21 July 2014. Archived from the original on 21 July 2014.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Sam Heller [@AbuJamajem] (7 May 2014). "...Abu Qatada al-Filistini, Suleiman al-Ulwan, Abdulaziz al-Tureifi, Yusuf al-Ahmed, Hani al-Siba'i, Tareq Abdulhalim, Eyad Quneibi and..." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "رسالة من قيادي بجبهة النصرة الى فضل شاكر". twitt-book.com. 11 March 2015.
- "المحيسني لـ " حسن نصر الله " : أدعوك لمناظرةٍ علنية". twitt-book.com. 25 June 2016.
- Weiss, Caleb (4 September 2015). "Saudi al Qaeda cleric showcases training camp for children in Syria". Long War Journal. Foundation for Defense of Democracies.
- "Syria to be 'another Afghanistan for Russia' – General news – ANSAMed.it". Ansamed.
- "Morning Star :: Syria: US tells Russia to end its bombing". Morning Star. Archived from the original on 4 October 2015. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "Russia strikes Syria as world leaders warn against escalating conflict". News.com.au. 3 October 2015.
- ""المحيسني" يذكّر الروس بـ"المستنقع الأفغاني"..ستكون الشام مقبرة الغزاة". تويت بوك. 3 October 2015.
- Foreign Fighters in Syria: Syria Will Be the Graveyard of the Russians. Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI). 13 October 2015.
- "المحيسني : الجهاد فرض عين في سوريا و بعض الجبهات ترابط عليها نساء". تويت بوك. 27 October 2015.
- Caleb Weiss [@Weissenberg7] (18 December 2015). "Abdullah Muhaysini with Abu Saloh of Nusrah's (AQ) Uzbek battalion Tawhid wal Jihad #Syria" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Абдуллоҳ Муҳайсинийнинг Ҳалаб жангларидан олдин қилган даъвати. Abu Saloh Darsliklari - 2. 5 May 2016.
- "المحيسني: 40 ألف نفس مسلمة تموت هل يعنيكم هذا الخبر؟ .. إطعام مضايا أو إبادة الفوعة". twitt-book.com. 3 January 2016.
- Groisman, Maayan (24 April 2016). "Saudi rulers under fire after arrest of well-known Islamic preacher". The Jerusalem Post.
- "المحيسني يدعو إلى استبدال العملة السورية بالتركية". تويت بوك. 21 May 2016.
- @Michal583 (27 June 2016). "Mazen Alloush claims that al Moheseni isn't wounded/killed" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "US Treasury designates Saudi jihadist cleric, three others in Syria | FDD's Long War Journal". FDD's Long War Journal. 10 November 2016. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- Rukmini Callimachi [@rcallimachi] (10 November 2016). "@siteintelgroup , which tracks extremism, says Muhaysini issued a series of Tweets commenting on Trump's win. Their translation:" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Saudi Jihadi Leader Al-Muhaysini: Trump's Election Is a Good Thing, As It Shows the Muslims the True Face of America". MEMRI. The Internet. 2 December 2016.
- "Treasury Designates Key Al-Nusrah Front Leaders". US Treasury Website. 11 November 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2020.
- "التايمز: " المحيسني " يعتبر نفسه رمزاً وطنياً للسوريين". تويت بوك. 19 November 2016.
- رد الشيخ المحيسني على العقوبات التي فرضتها أمريكا (Media notes). 13 November 2016.
- Editor / Internet (31 October 2016). "'Iran's resistance line extends to Aleppo, not Israel'". Yeni Şafak.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Norton, Ben (29 December 2016). "Bilal Abdul Kareem, Prominent U.S. 'Journalist' in Syria, Serves as Mouthpiece for Violent Extremists". AlterNet.
- Is Jihad in Syria Obligatory on All Able Muslims? P1 of 2. 9 January 2016.
- Is Jihad in Syria obligatory on all Able Muslims P2 of 2. 12 January 2016.
- Zelin, Aaron Y. (15 August 2016). "New video message from Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām: "Congratulations of the Shaykhs on the Occasion of Ramaḍān"". Jihadology.net.
- "Şeyh Abdullah El Muheysini ; Türkistan İslam Cemaati'nin Kahraman Mücahitleri Hakkında ki Şahitliğim". Doğu Türkistan Bülteni Haber Ajansı. 10 August 2015. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016.
- Zelin, Aaron Y. (1 December 2015). "New video message from Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām: "Dr. 'Abd Allah bin Muḥammad al-Muḥaysinī: A Message to Turkistānīs"". Jihadology.
- "Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām — "Dr. 'Abd Allah bin Muḥammad al-Muḥaysinī- A Message to Turkistānīs"". Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- turkistanhaber. "Şeyh Abdullah El Muheysini'den Doğu Türkistanlı Müslümanlara Risale". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- Zelin, Aaron Y. (19 December 2015). "New video message from Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām: "Dr. 'Abd Allah bin Muḥammad al-Muḥaysinī: The Importance of Martyrdom Operations in Our Current Time"". Jihadology.
- turkistanhaber (17 May 2016). "Türkistanlı Mücahitlerin Beklenen Kitabı Beyaz Minare Yayınlarından Çıktı -". Archived from the original on 11 October 2016.
- El Muhaysini, Abdullah. "Türkistan'dan Şehadete Hicret Hikayeleri 1". Beyaz Minare Kitap. Beyaz Minare Kitap.
- "Şeyh Ebu Katade'den Türkistan İslam Cemaati Mücahitlerine Övgü Dolu Sözler". Doğu Türkistan Bülteni Haber Ajansı. 2 November 2016. Archived from the original on 2 February 2017.
- Joscelyn, Thomas (7 May 2016). "Turkistan Islamic Party advertises role in jihadist-led offensive in Aleppo province". Long War Journal. Foundation for Defense of Democracies.
- "Türkistan İslam Cemaati'nin Han Tuman'dan aldığı ganimetler (Foto Galeri)". KüreselAnaliz. 7 May 2016.
- "TIP Division in Syria Reports Participating with NF, Jund al-Aqsa in Liberating Khan Touman". SITE Intelligence Group. 6 May 2016.
- "اشغال خانطومان به روایت تروریستهای چینی+عکس". جنبش سایبری 313.
- "اشغال خانطومان به روایت تروریستهای چینی + تصاویر". ایلنا. 10 May 2016.
- Thomas Joscelyn [@thomasjoscelyn] (11 May 2016). "TIP video includes other now standard images: tank, dead Shiites, burning Shiite flags, etc:" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Thomas Joscelyn [@thomasjoscelyn] (11 May 2016). "New Turkistan Islamic Party video: "Liberation of Al Khalidiya, Khan Tuman." Used aerial footage to plan attack" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Zelin, Aaron Y. (1 January 2017). "New video message from Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām: "Blessed Are the Strangers #6"". Jihadology.
- "Turkestan Islamic Party (TIP) Video Features Al-Muhaysini And Mahdi Commending Uyghur Fighters, Urging Muslim Businessmen To Support, Publicize Their Plight In East Turkestan". MEMRI. 5 January 2017.
- "New video message from Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām: "Dr. 'Abd Allah bin Muḥammad al-Muḥaysinī: Message To Those Who Migrated From Turkistān"". Jihadology. 15 January 2017.
- Riam Dalati [@Dalatrm] (24 January 2017). "#Muhaysini issues brotherly, but firm, statement to #JFS to stop "aggression" vs @army_moj" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Al-Tamimi, Aymenn Jawad (29 January 2017). "#Syria: One might understand the reasoning here, but fact is U.S. reasonably won't see Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham this way, so strikes continue". Twitter.
- "6 Jihadi Scholars Join Newly-Formed Tahrir Al-Sham, Among Them Abdullah Al Muhaysani, Abdel Razaq Mahdi, Abu Yusuf. #TerrorMonitor". Twitter. 28 January 2017.
- Joscelyn, Thomas (28 January 2017). "Six jihadi scholars have joined Tahrir al Sham, including Abdullah al Muhaysini (a Saudi designated by US gov't as al Qaeda):". Twitter.
- Lister, Charles (6 February 2017). "#JFS/#HTS also came under criticism for using raffled fridges, motorbikes etc., to lure the poor out from IDP camps to a Moheiseni speech:". Twitter.
- Ridha, Hassan (22 February 2017). "Liwa al-Aqsa withdrew from areas under their control in Hama/Idlib following agreement with Tahrir al-Sham with mediation by TIP + Muhaysani". Twitter.
- Haid Haid (21 November 2017). "Who Is Assassinating Hay'at Tahrir Al-Sham's Leaders?". Syria From Within | Chatham House. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- Heller, Sam (12 May 2015). "GUEST POST: Abdullah al-Muheisini Weighs in on Killing of Alawite Women and Children". Jihadology.
- "مُنظر "النصرة" يفتي بحرمة قتل نساء العلويين وأطفالهم". twitt-book.com. 8 May 2015.
- كلمة الشيخ المحيسني قبل انغماس الانغماسيين على خان طومان. الشام في أسبوع. 3 June 2016.
- المحيسني بالزي العسكري يعلن عن بدء معركة تحرير حلب. Orient News. 31 July 2016.
- المحيسني من جبهات حلب يوجه رسالة إلى تركيا ودول الخليج. 28 October 2016.
- الشاماني, عيسى (2 May 2016). ""حملة السكينة": إرهابيون يحاولون "أفغنة" التجنيد في سورية". عكاظ. الرياض.
- "Saudi Jihadi Leader Al-Muhaysini in Aleppo Salutes Mother and Wife of Suicide Bomber before Sending Him to His Death". MEMRI. 27 October 2016.
- الشاماني, عيسى (29 October 2016). "التكفيري المحيسني لـ"انتحاري حلب": اقتربت من معانقة الحور العين!". عكاظ. الرياض.
- سطحية التفكير جعلت إعلام أهل السنة لا يفقهون واقع الصراع. 7 November 2016.
- "Who are the most prominent Qatar-linked figures in new terror designated list?". Al Arabiya. 9 June 2017.