|Abdullah bin Muhammad bin Sulayman al-Muhaysini|
|عبدالله بن محمد بن سليمان المحيسني|
|Alma mater||Imam Muhammad ibn Saud Islamic University|
|Born||Buraidah, Al-Qassim Region, Saudi Arabia|
|Post||Qadi (Judge) of the Army of Conquest, Sheikh of Tahrir al-Sham|
He was born in the city of Buraidah, al-Qasim, to a known religious family. Attending elementary school here, he continued secondary school and college in Mecca, where he also graduated from the University of Umm al-Qura in the field of Islamic Jurisprudence. Later he studied Comparative Jurisprudence in the Al-Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University in Riyadh, writing a master treatise on the rule of war refugees according to Islam.
Muhaysini is married and has children.
His father Muhammad ibn Sulayman al-Mohaisany is a known Quran reciter and has served as the imam and preacher of a local mosque in Mecca. He has at least once been arrested by government authorities for his public prayers.
Abdullah al-Muhaysini arrived in Syria in 2013 after his uncle Omar Al-Muhaysini had previously died there fighting the Syrian Arab Army. In an interview with IZRS he stated that his intention when departing towards Syria had been to resolve the internal conflicts between Syrian Opposition factions.
Contributions to the Syrian civil war
Since his arrival in Syria, Muhaysini actively served as a preacher and judge, delivering sermons in local mosques, issuing religious verdicts and counseling Islamic groups. In addition he has appeared on the front lines for a couple of time, inciting Syrian Opposition fighters and raising their morale. After the conquest of Idlib in 2015, he served as the official judge of the Army of Conquest for Idlib city. Working independently Muhaysini has good ties to a great range of Islamic factions in Syria, which enables him to intervene in conflicts and settle on resolutions.
Muhaysini publicly fundraised for the 2016 offensive to break the Regime siege on Aleppo from donors in Qatar and other Persian Gulf states. In 2016, Muhaysini thanked donors for providing rockets to fighters in Syria.
In late 2013, Muhaysini posted his support for the then-active Madid Ahl al-Sham campaign on Twitter while identifying one of the fundraiser's organizers, Sa'd bin Sa'd Muhammad Shariyan Al Ka'bi, and its location in Qatar. Madid Ahl al-Sham was a Qatar-based fundraising campaign identified by Muhaysini and others for its financial assistance for Jabhat al-Nusra. The U.S. Department of State identified Madid Ahl al-Sham as a "fundraising campaign that was suspected of sending funds to violent extremist elements in Syria." [viii]
The military "Cubs of al-Aqsa" training camp for Syrian children was founded by Muhaysini. Muhaysini claimed support from Turkey and Turkish newspaper Yeni Şafak praised Muhaysini sayıng he was battling "terrorists".
The substition of the Turkish currency for the Syrian currency was called for by Muhaysini.
Muhaysini interceded in west Idlib during an FSA Nusra conflict to mediate.
In early 2014 Muhaysini again served as a mediator, this time between ISIS and its rival jihadist groups, Al Nusra and Ahrar al Sham. Reports claim that Muhaysini hoped to achieve a merger between ISIS and the rebel groups, both of which are thought to have received funding from the Qatari government or covert terrorist supporters in Qatar, such as those behind Madid Ahl al-Sham.
The start of the battle to break the Siege of Aleppo was announced by Muhaysini. The Saudi newspaper Okaz called Muhaysini a takfiri and a terrorist and accused him of trying to "Afghanize" Syria after he launched a mass recruitment campaign for jihad in Syria. Muhaysini released a video of himself congratulating a Saudi boy from Buraidah he was going to send off to be a suicide bomber, telling his mother that he would go to paradise and be rewarded with virgins. The Saudi newspaper Okaz denounced Muhaysini for sending off the Saudi boy as a suicide bomber in Aleppo after promising him virgins in the afterlife. Muhaysini responded against Okaz over the Takfiri label.
After the Russian military intervention in Syria Al-Muhaysini threatened that Syria would be a "tomb for its invaders" or "graveyard for invaders" in response to the Russian intervention and brought up the Soviet–Afghan War. Muhaysini arranged for foreign fighters of multiple backgrounds to repeat the phrase "The Levant is the graveyard of the Russians", in a video message, among them was a fighter claiming to be from "East Turkestan". It was pledged that the Levant would be a "cemetery of invaders" like the "Afghan quagmire" for the Russians according to Muhaysini. It was declared that in Syria, women's participation in some theaters and jihad in general was obligatory by Muhaysini after the Russian intervention.
The Islamist Turkish publisher "Beyaz Minare Kitap" (White Minaret Book) published a Turkish language book titled "Türkistan'dan Şehadete Hicret Hikayeleri 1" containing the biographies of Turkistan Islamic Party fighters along with praise of TIP fighters by Abdullah al-Muhaysini.
The Turkistan Islamic Party released a video titled "A Message to the Turkestanis" (رسالة الى التركستانيين) featuring Abdullah Al-Muhaysini, an Al-Qaeda cleric of Saudi origin. Muhaysini urged the "Turkistani Musims" to raise their children to love death like "infidels" love life. "Turkistani" is used as an alternate ethonym for "Uyghur" by some Uyghurs.
The Turkistan Islamic Party released a new video titled "Importance of Martyrdom Operations in Our Current Time" (أهمية العمليات الإستشهادية في زمننا الحاضر) (زامانىمىزدىكى پىدائىيلىق ئەمەلىيىتىنىڭ ئەھمىيىتى) by Abdullah al-Muhaysini.
Muheisini endorses scholars of the pro-jihad movement like Al-Balawi, Eyad Quneibi, Tareq Abdulhalim, Hani al-Siba'i, Yusuf al-Ahmed, Abdulaziz al-Tureifi, Suleiman al-Ulwan, Abu Qatada al-Filistini, and Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi. Abdullah al Muhaysini, Hani al Siba'ee, Abu Qatada, and Abdurazak al Mahdi were all featured in a Turkistan Islamic Party video.
The Turkistan Islamic Party in Syria released "Blessed Are the Strangers #6" featuring a speech by Hasan Mahsum, as well as by Army of Conquest leader Abdullah al-Muhaysini and fellow scholar Abdurazak al Mahdi.
Abdul Razzaq al-Mahdi and Abdullah al-Muhaysini asked Muslims with money to aid the cause of the Uyghur Turkistan Islamic Party and praised the Uyghur fighters for their role in the Syrian Civil War fighting against the Syrian government.
Muhaysini was many times interviewed and lauded by American journalist Bilal Abdul Kareem, who leads a pro-opposition news agency called "On the Ground News'' (OGN) that reports from Syria.
Muhaysini, Abu Taher Al Hamawi, and Abdelrazzak Mehdi worked on the formation of the group Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham. They are members of the group and appeared in its founding declaration. Muhaysini asked members of various factions to urge their leaders to join Tahrir al-Sham. Attendance at a speech by Moheiseni was manipulated by drawing IDP impoverished people with promises of motorbikes and refrigerators through a raffle by HTS.
Muhaysini and the Turkistan Islamic Party negotiated between Tahrir al-Sham and Liwa al-Aqsa.
There is a considerable amount of controversy surrounding Muhaysini.
Muhaysini vowed to exterminate Alawite men and wrote that Alawite women could potentially be executed as apostates. Muhaysini demanded the destruction of the Shia village of Al Fu'a if Sunnis in Madaya were not fed, claiming that the starvation would cause the deaths of 40,000 Muslims there. Instructions on treatment of children and women of Alawites were given by Muhaysini on Twitter.
Virgins in the afterlife were promised before the battle of Khan Touman to suicide fighters by Muhaysini. Muhaysini visited Turkistan Islamic Party fighters before the battle and performed dua. Khan Tuman in Aleppo then came under attack by the Uyghur Turkistan Islamic Party. A picture of Muhaysini with a Turkistan Islamic Party fighter in Khan Touman was released by the Turkistan Islamic Party after the battle. They displayed weapons and munitions seized during the battle. Corpses of what the TIP labelled as "Rawafid" (Shia) fighters and pictures of "Iranian" prisoners were released by the TIP.
Virgins whose spit would allegedly sweeten oceans in the afterlife were promised by Muhaysini to fighters before preparing for battle in Aleppo. Muhaysini launched 100 Elephant rockets against Aleppo at the beginning of the attempt to break the siege and thanked Persian Gulf businessmen and Turkey for funding the rockets.
On 9 June 2017, he was one of 69 individuals designated by Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain that have financed terrorist organizations and received support from Qatar.
Allegations of ties to al-Qaeda
Muhaysini was slapped with sanctions by the US Treasury. Muhaysini called himself a "national symbol" according to Syrians and expressed his "shock"" at being declared a terrorist by the United States Treasury when he spoke to The New York Times. Muhaysini posted a video replying to the terrorist designation by the USA.
Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi and Abu Qatada were referenced by Muhaysini. Al-Qaeda leaders Osama bin Laden and Ayman al Zawahiri were lauded by Muhaysini.
- Hashem, Ali (11 May 2016). "Iranian official says prominent Saudi jihadist 'man in control' in Syria". Al-Monitor.
- "US Treasury designates Saudi jihadist cleric, three others in Syria | FDD's Long War Journal". FDD's Long War Journal. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "Islamic charity officials gave millions to al-Qaeda, U.S. says". Washington Post. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "CNN OUTFRONT SPECIAL REPORT: Is Qatar a haven for terror funding?". CNN. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "Chapter 2. Country Reports: Middle East and North Africa Overview". U.S. Department of State. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- Weiss, Caleb (4 September 2015). "Saudi al Qaeda cleric showcases training camp for children in Syria". Long War Journal. Foundation for Defense of Democracies.
- Fadel, Ziad (29 October 2016). "MUHAYSINI ADMITS WEAPONS FROM SAUDI ARABIA AND TURKEY; TERRORISTS NAME 3 FOREIGN RODENTS IN SUICIDE TRUCKS IN ALEPPO; SYRIAN ARMY FORCES RATS TO FLEE IN HAMA; KILLS 11 IN HOMS". Syrian Perspective.
- "Jeish Al-Fatah Leader Admits Receiving Financial, Military Aid from S. Arabia". Al Alam. 29 October 2016.
- Editor / Internet (31 October 2016). "'Iran's resistance line extends to Aleppo, not Israel'". Yeni Şafak.
- "المحيسني يدعو إلى استبدال العملة السورية بالتركية". تويت بوك. 21 May 2016.
- "حل خلافات جبهة النصرة مع فصائل مسلحة في ريف إدلب". all4syria. 21 July 2014. Archived from the original on 21 July 2014.
- "Obama Leads Trump Transition Domestically and in Syrian Policy". Stop Terror Finance. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "Saudi cleric's reconciliation initiative for jihadists draws wide support, then a rejection | FDD's Long War Journal". FDD's Long War Journal. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "Defying allies, Qatar unlikely to abandon favored Syria rebels". Reuters. 2017-03-20. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "The Ahrar al Sham Movement: Syria's Local Salafists". Wilson Center. 2016-08-23. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "Al-Nusra and its Gulf Financiers: The Political Cost of a Long-Running Alliance". Stop Terror Finance. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "الارهابي السعودي عبدالله المحيسني يعلن بدء "غزوة حلب"". إذاعة النور. سوريا. 31 July 2016.
- الشاماني, عيسى (2 May 2016). ""حملة السكينة": إرهابيون يحاولون "أفغنة" التجنيد في سورية". عكاظ. الرياض.
- "Saudi Jihadi Leader Al-Muhaysini in Aleppo Salutes Mother and Wife of Suicide Bomber before Sending Him to His Death". MEMRI. 27 October 2016.
- جيش الفتح..الشيخ المحيسني مع الاستشهادي الذي هز عرش الروافض في حلب غزوة ابوعمر سراقب (Media notes). 28 October 2016.
- الشاماني, عيسى (29 October 2016). "التكفيري المحيسني لـ"انتحاري حلب": اقتربت من معانقة الحور العين!". عكاظ. الرياض.
- سطحية التفكير جعلت إعلام أهل السنة لا يفقهون واقع الصراع. 7 November 2016.
- Weiss, Caleb (18 Dec 2015). Twitter https://twitter.com/Weissenberg7/status/677902783211773952. Missing or empty
- Абдуллоҳ Муҳайсинийнинг Ҳалаб жангларидан олдин қилган даъвати. Abu Saloh Darsliklari - 2. May 5, 2016.
- "Syria to be 'another Afghanistan for Russia' – General news – ANSAMed.it". Ansamed.
- "Morning Star :: Syria: US tells Russia to end its bombing". Morning Star.
- "Russia strikes Syria as world leaders warn against escalating conflict". News.com.au. 3 October 2015.
- Foreign Fighters in Syria: Syria Will Be the Graveyard of the Russians. Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI). 13 October 2015.
- ""المحيسني" يذكّر الروس بـ"المستنقع الأفغاني"..ستكون الشام مقبرة الغزاة". تويت بوك. 3 October 2015.
- "المحيسني : الجهاد فرض عين في سوريا و بعض الجبهات ترابط عليها نساء". تويت بوك. 27 October 2015.
- "Şeyh Abdullah El Muheysini ; Türkistan İslam Cemaati'nin Kahraman Mücahitleri Hakkında ki Şahitliğim". Doğu Türkistan Bülteni Haber Ajansı. 10 August 2015. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016.
- turkistanhaber (17 May 2016). "Türkistanlı Mücahitlerin Beklenen Kitabı Beyaz Minare Yayınlarından Çıktı -". Archived from the original on 11 October 2016.
- El Muhaysini, Abdullah. "Türkistan'dan Şehadete Hicret Hikayeleri 1". Beyaz Minare Kitap. Beyaz Minare Kitap.
- Zelin, Aaron Y. (1 December 2015). "New video message from Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām: "Dr. 'Abd Allah bin Muḥammad al-Muḥaysinī: A Message to Turkistānīs"". Jihadology.
- "Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām — "Dr. 'Abd Allah bin Muḥammad al-Muḥaysinī- A Message to Turkistānīs"". Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- turkistanhaber. "Şeyh Abdullah El Muheysini'den Doğu Türkistanlı Müslümanlara Risale". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- Joscelyn, Thomas (21 April 2009). "The Uighurs, in their own words". The Long War Journal.
- Zelin, Aaron Y. (19 December 2015). "New video message from Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām: "Dr. 'Abd Allah bin Muḥammad al-Muḥaysinī: The Importance of Martyrdom Operations in Our Current Time"". Jihadology.
- "Şeyh Ebu Katade'den Türkistan İslam Cemaati Mücahitlerine Övgü Dolu Sözler". Doğu Türkistan Bülteni Haber Ajansı. 2 November 2016. Archived from the original on 2 February 2017.
- Heller, Sam (7 May 2014). Twitter https://twitter.com/AbuJamajem/status/464243879609655296. Missing or empty
- Zelin, Aaron Y. (15 August 2016). "New video message from Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām: "Congratulations of the Shaykhs on the Occasion of Ramaḍān"". Jihadology.net.
- Zelin, Aaron Y. (1 January 2017). "New video message from Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām: "Blessed Are the Strangers #6"". Jihadology.
- "Turkestan Islamic Party (TIP) Video Features Al-Muhaysini And Mahdi Commending Uyghur Fighters, Urging Muslim Businessmen To Support, Publicize Their Plight In East Turkestan". MEMRI. 5 January 2017.
- "New video message from Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām: "Dr. 'Abd Allah bin Muḥammad al-Muḥaysinī: Message To Those Who Migrated From Turkistān"". Jihadology. 15 January 2017.
- Norton, Ben (29 December 2016). "Bilal Abdul Kareem, Prominent U.S. 'Journalist' in Syria, Serves as Mouthpiece for Violent Extremists". AlterNet.
- Is Jihad in Syria Obligatory on All Able Muslims? P1 of 2. 9 January 2016.
- Is Jihad in Syria obligatory on all Able Muslims P2 of 2. 12 January 2016.
- عَلّـوشْ, مـــازنْ (27 Jun 2016). Twitter https://twitter.com/mazenaloush/status/747468785221775360. Missing or empty
- Twitter. 27 Jun 2016 https://twitter.com/freeq533/status/747471751236427776. Missing or empty
- "رسالة من قيادي بجبهة النصرة الى فضل شاكر". تويت بوك. 11 March 2015.
- "المحيسني لـ " حسن نصر الله " : أدعوك لمناظرةٍ علنية". تويت بوك. 25 June 2016.
- Groisman, Maayan (24 April 2016). "Saudi rulers under fire after arrest of well-known Islamic preacher". The Jerusalem Post.
- Callimachi, Rukmini (10 November 2016). Twitter https://twitter.com/rcallimachi/status/796824977043587072. Missing or empty
- "Saudi Jihadi Leader Al-Muhaysini: Trump's Election Is a Good Thing, As It Shows the Muslims the True Face of America". MEMRI. The Internet. 2 December 2016.
- Dalati, Riam (23 Jan 2017). Twitter https://twitter.com/Dalatrm/status/823789381840420864. Missing or empty
- Al-Tamimi, Aymenn Jawad (29 Jan 2017). Twitter https://twitter.com/ajaltamimi/status/825807698423906304. Missing or empty
- Twitter. 28 Jan 2017 https://twitter.com/Terror_Monitor/status/825397512110436355. Missing or empty
- Joscelyn, Thomas (28 Jan 2017). Twitter https://twitter.com/thomasjoscelyn/status/825385579584032768. Missing or empty
- Twitter. 28 Jan 2017 https://twitter.com/Al_Maqal_PL/status/825387060316008448. Missing or empty
- Twitter. 2 Feb 2017 https://twitter.com/walid970721/status/827163872264060928. Missing or empty
- Lister, Charles (6 Feb 2017). Twitter https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/828648275024683008. Missing or empty
- Ridha, Hassan (22 February 2017). Twitter https://twitter.com/sayed_ridha/status/834532750849814528. Missing or empty
- Heller, Sam (12 May 2015). "GUEST POST: Abdullah al-Muheisini Weighs in on Killing of Alawite Women and Children". Jihadology.
- "المحيسني: 40 ألف نفس مسلمة تموت هل يعنيكم هذا الخبر؟ .. إطعام مضايا أو إبادة الفوعة". تويت بوك. 3 January 2016.
- "مُنظر "النصرة" يفتي بحرمة قتل نساء العلويين وأطفالهم". تويت بوك. 8 May 2015.
- كلمة الشيخ المحيسني قبل انغماس الانغماسيين على خان طومان. الشام في أسبوع. 3 June 2016.
- Joscelyn, Thomas (7 May 2016). "Turkistan Islamic Party advertises role in jihadist-led offensive in Aleppo province". Long War Journal. Foundation for Defense of Democracies.
- "Türkistan İslam Cemaati'nin Han Tuman'dan aldığı ganimetler (Foto Galeri)". KüreselAnaliz. 7 May 2016.
- "TIP Division in Syria Reports Participating with NF, Jund al-Aqsa in Liberating Khan Touman". SITE Intelligence Group. 6 May 2016.
- "اشغال خانطومان به روایت تروریستهای چینی+عکس". جنبش سایبری 313.
- "اشغال خانطومان به روایت تروریستهای چینی + تصاویر". ایلنا. 10 May 2016.
- Joscelyn, Thomas (11 May 2016). Twitter https://twitter.com/thomasjoscelyn/status/730401207139897344. Missing or empty
- Joscelyn, Thomas (11 May 2016). https://twitter.com/thomasjoscelyn/status/730394573462228993. Missing or empty
- المحيسني بالزي العسكري يعلن عن بدء معركة تحرير حلب. Orient News. 31 July 2016.
- المحيسني من جبهات حلب يوجه رسالة إلى تركيا ودول الخليج. 28 October 2016.
- "Who are the most prominent Qatar-linked figures in new terror designated list?". Al Arabiya. 9 June 2017.
- "واشنطن تفرض عقوبات على "المحيسني" و 3 قياديين بـ"فتح الشام"". تويت بوك. 11 November 2016.
- "التايمز: " المحيسني " يعتبر نفسه رمزاً وطنياً للسوريين". تويت بوك. 19 November 2016.
- رد الشيخ المحيسني على العقوبات التي فرضتها أمريكا (Media notes). 13 November 2016.
- Joscelyn, Thomas (February 3, 2014). "Pro-al Qaeda Saudi cleric calls on ISIS members to defect". Long War Journal. Foundation for Defense of Democracies.