Abdusakur Mahail Tan
|Abdusakur Mahail Tan|
|Vice Governor of Sulu|
June 30, 2013 – May 2016
|Governor of Sulu|
June 30, 2007 – June 30, 2013
1996 – June 30, 2001
|Member of the Philippine House of Representatives from the First District of Sulu|
June 30, 1987 – June 30, 1992
|Preceded by||Post created|
|Succeeded by||Bensaudi Tulawie|
|Member of the Municipal Council of Jolo|
July 13, 1950 |
Maimbung, Sulu, Philippines
|Spouse(s)||Hadja Nurunisah Abubakar|
Abdusakur "Sakur" Mahail Tan (born Maimbung, July 13, 1950) is a Filipino politician and former governor of Sulu Province (2007–2013) in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao. He currently serves as the Vice Governor of Sulu.
Tan is of Chinese-Tausug descent and was born on July 13, 1950, in Maimbung, Sulu, the eldest child of Hadji Abubakar Tan (former mayor of Maimbung) and Hadja Satriya Mahail. He attended high school at the Notre Dame of Jolo for Boys and obtained a Bachelor of Arts in 1983 from the Notre Dame of Jolo College.
Tan (LKS-KAM) established a political base in Jolo by aligning himself with the Abubakar and Isquerdo families. He served first as the municipal councillor of Jolo (1981–87), then as a representative of Sulu's first congressional district (1987–1992) and as governor (in a previous term, 1996–2001). He lost the 2001 election to MNLF leader Yusop Jikiri but won the governorship a second time in 2007 with 110,715 votes, according to COMELEC data. In 2010 he won re-election, beating out rivals Munir Arbison and Nur Misuari by over 24,000 votes.
Zamboanga Terrorist Attack
Tan was among 12 persons injured when an improvised explosive device (IED) exploded at the arrival area of Zamboanga International Airport in August 2010. The attack was suspected to target Tan himself. The explosion occurred a few days after a suspected member of the regional terrorist group Jemaah Islamiyah (JI), Edgar Malaydan, was arrested in Monkayo, Compostela Valley.
Opposition to ARMM
In a letter addressed to President Aquino, Tan in September 2010 said that the ARMM had failed to bring development or address widespread poverty since its creation more than two decades ago.
- Province of Sulu official website, Governor profile. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-05. Retrieved 2011-02-12.
- Sulu Election Results as of August 2010, COMELEC.gov
- Sakur Tan re-elected governor of Sulu. GMA News, 05/16/2010. http://www.gmanews.tv/story/191093/sakur-tan-re-elected-governor-of-sulu
- Sulu governor hurt in Zamboanga blast. Manila Bulletin, August 5, 2010. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-12-18. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "Inaugural Address Abdusakur A. Tan II Governor, Province of Sulu". The Mindanao Examiner Regional Newspaper. 1 Jul 2016.
- Biography at the League of Provinces of the Philippines