Abeid Amani Karume International Airport
Abeid Amani Karume
|Owner||Government of Zanzibar|
|Operator||Zanzibar Airports Authority|
|Location||Unguja Island, Zanzibar|
|Elevation AMSL||54 ft / 16 m|
Abeid Amani Karume International Airport (IATA: ZNZ, ICAO: HTZA) (Swahili: Uwanja wa Ndege wa Kimataifa wa Abeid Amani Karume) is the main airport in the Zanzibar Archipelago located on Unguja Island. It is about 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) south of Zanzibar City, the capital of Zanzibar, and has flights to East Africa, Europe, and the Middle East.
It was previously known as Kisauni Airport and Zanzibar International Airport. It was renamed in 2010 in honour of Abeid Amani Karume, the island's first president.
South approach and departures are over the water. The Zanzibar VOR-DME (Ident: ZV) is located 0.4 nautical miles (741 m) off the south end of the runway. The Zanzibar non-directional beacon (Ident: ZZ) is located on the field.
Terminal 1 is active for all landing aircraft. A new shelter on the entrance of the airport has been put in place.
Construction of the second terminal started in January 2011 by the Chinese Beijing Construction Engineering Group. A new apron of 100,000 square metres (1,100,000 sq ft) will replace the existing 21,000 square metres (230,000 sq ft). The project is estimated to cost about US$70.4 million. On completion, it will have the capacity to serve up to 1.5 million passengers per year. The new terminal was expected to be operational in 2014, but construction work is still ongoing as of July 2018. Once completed, terminal 1 will become the domestic flight terminal.
Airlines and destinations
The following passenger airlines operate at Abeid Amani Karume International Airport.
2: Turkish Airlines' inbound flights from Istanbul to Zanzibar make a stop in Kilimanjaro. However, the airline does not have traffic rights to transport passengers solely between Kilimanjaro and Zanzibar.
|Astral Aviation||Nairobi–Jomo Kenyatta|
|Kenya Airways Cargo||Nairobi–Jomo Kenyatta, Mombasa|
- "TRAFFIC MOVEMENTS STATISTICS ANNUAL REPORT FOR THE YEAR 2014". Tanzania Airport Authority. Tanzania Airport Authority. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- Airport information for Abeid Amani Karume International Airport at Great Circle Mapper.
- "Zanzibar Airport". Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts". skyvector.com. Retrieved 2018-08-28.
- "Zanzibar NDB (ZZ) @ OurAirports". ourairports.com. Retrieved 2018-08-28.
- "Zanzibar forms Airports Authority, modernises aviation infrastructure". Business Times (Tanzania). Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Malawian Airlines schedules new NS17 routes". Airlineroute. 1 February 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Mango Airlines - Affordable South African Domestic Flights". Mango Airlines - Affordable South African Domestic Flights.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Neos adds Verona - East Africa service from Dec 2017".
- "Oman Air S17 changes as of 09MAR17; Singapore suspensions". Routesonline. Retrieved 2018-07-29.
- "Turkish Airlines to fully move to Istanbul New in late 4Q18". ch-aviation.com. 16 October 2018. Retrieved 2018-10-16.