Abeid Amani Karume International Airport
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2022)
Abeid Amani Karume
|Owner||Government of Zanzibar|
|Operator||Zanzibar Airports Authority|
|Location||Unguja Island, Zanzibar, Tanzania|
|Elevation AMSL||54 ft / 16 m|
Abeid Amani Karume International Airport (Swahili: Uwanja wa Ndege wa Kimataifa wa Abeid Amani Karume, IATA: ZNZ, ICAO: HTZA) is the main airport in the Zanzibar Archipelago located on Unguja Island, Zanzibar, Tanzania. It is approximately 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) south of Zanzibar City, the capital of Zanzibar, and has flights to East Africa, Europe, and the Middle East.
It was previously known as Kisauni Airport and Zanzibar International Airport. It was renamed in 2010 in honour of Abeid Amani Karume, the island's first president.
Terminal 1 is an inactive terminal that was used during British protection in the islets. This is a small building found on the northern side of terminal 2 and currently used as the airport office.
Construction of the third terminal started in January 2011 by the Chinese Beijing Construction Engineering Group. A new apron of 100,000 square metres (1,100,000 sq ft) will replace the existing 21,000 square metres (230,000 sq ft). The project is estimated to cost about US$70.4 million. On completion, it will have the capacity to serve up to 1.5 million passengers per year. The new terminal was expected to be operational in 2014, but construction work delayed due to financial and technical reasons. The new terminal was inaugurated in September 2020 and is expected to be in operation by the end of December 2020. Once operational, terminal 3 will serve international flights while terminal 2 will become the domestic flights terminal.
Airlines and destinations
The following passenger airlines operate at Abeid Amani Karume International Airport.
|Astral Aviation||Nairobi–Jomo Kenyatta|
|Kenya Airways Cargo||Nairobi–Jomo Kenyatta, Mombasa|
- "TRAFFIC MOVEMENTS STATISTICS ANNUAL REPORT FOR THE YEAR 2014". Tanzania Airport Authority. Tanzania Airport Authority. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- Airport information for Abeid Amani Karume International Airport at Great Circle Mapper.
- "Zanzibar forms Airports Authority, modernises aviation infrastructure". Business Times (Tanzania). Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Flight schedule". animawings.com.
- Liu, Jim. "Russian carriers NW20 Zanzibar charter service additions". Routesonline. Retrieved 26 October 2020.
- "Edelwiess Zanzibar".
- "air and charter tickets". itaka.pl.
- "Etihad launches winter flights to Cape Town, Johannesburg and Zanzibar". 30 September 2021.
- "Първи чартър тръгва утре за Кения".
- "Safair Adds Zanzibar Service From late-June 2022". AeroRoutes. 12 July 2022.
- "Zanzibar Flights".
- "KLM gaat op Zanzibar vliegen". 7 October 2020.
- "@flylot boeing 787 starts cooperation with @cdcedok. will operate flights to Maldives, Zanzibar and Dominican Republic". ch-aviation.com. Archived from the original on 24 December 2021. Retrieved 27 October 2021.
- "Tour schedule". Retrieved 27 October 2021.
- "Charter flights". TUI.pl.
- "Summer 2021: Six new long-haul tourist destinations from Frankfurt".
- "Only Flight". tui.se.
- Liu, Jim. "Uganda Airlines to expand Regional network in 4Q20". Routesonline. Retrieved 19 October 2020.