Korzeniowski at Film Music Festival in Cracow, 2013
18 July 1972 |
Life and career
Korzeniowski was born in Kraków. He had contact with music from early childhood: his mother Barbara plays the cello and both his brothers Antoni and Andrzej are musicians. He graduated from the Academy of Music in Kraków majoring in cello and composer studies under the supervision of Krzysztof Penderecki. He won acclaim as the composer of music for films and theatre plays and received a Ludwik Award (Nagroda Ludwika) in 2009.
He is a composer of film scores for several Polish films: Big Animal, Tomorrow's Weather, An Angel in Krakow, as well as Hollywood productions: Battle for Terra, Pu-239, Tickling Leo, A Single Man and W.E..
He won a San Diego Film Critics Society Award in 2009 for the Best score in A Single Man and was nominated for a 2009 Golden Globe in the best original score category for the same film. In 2012, he was nominated for Best Original Score for the film W.E., at the 69th Golden Globe Awards.
He arranged Patricia Kaas’s new record album which is a tribute to Edith Piaf, one of the finest performing artists of the 20th century.
According to DrownedMadonna.com, Korzeniowski worked with Madonna again for the last track of her upcoming album.
- A Grain of Truth (2014)
- Penny Dreadful (2014) (Television Series)
- Romeo and Juliet (2013)
- Escape from Tomorrow (2013)
- Kaas chante Piaf (2012)
- W.E. (2012)
- Copernicus’ Star (2011)
- A Single Man (2009)
- Tickling Leo (2009)
- Confessions of a Go-Go Girl (2008)
- What We Take from Each Other (2008)
- Battle for Terra (2007)
- Pu-239 (2007)
- Metropolis (new score 2004)
- Tomorrow’s Weather (2003)
- An Angel in Cracow (2002)
- The Big Animal (2000)
Awards and nominations
- 2015 British Academy Television Craft Awards (BAFTA) for Best Original Television Music  - Penny Dreadful
- 2013 International Film Music Critics Association (IFMCA) for Film Composer of the Year  - Romeo and Juliet, Escape from Tomorrow
- 2013 International Film Music Critics Association (IFMCA) for Best Original Score for a Drama Film  - Romeo and Juliet
- 2013 International Film Music Critics Association (IFMCA) for Film Score of the Year  - Romeo and Juliet
- 2011 CUE Awards 2011 Best Dramatic Score and Best Cue on Soundtrack - W.E. (“Dance For Me Wallis”).
- 2010 World Soundtrack Award 2010 Public Choice and Discovery Of The Year  - A Single Man
- 2010 The International Cinephile Society 2010 (ICS) for Best Original Score  - A Single Man
- 2010 AFT Awards 2010 for Best Original Score  - A Single Man
- 2009 International Film Music Critics Association (IFMCA) for Best Original Score for a Drama Film  - A Single Man
- 2009 San Diego Film Critics Society 2009 for Best Score - A Single Man
- 2005 Golden Knight Award 2005 for Best Composer - Tomorrow’s weather
- 2002 Jancio Wodnik Award 2002 for Best Music - An angel in Cracow
- 2002 Ludwik Award 2002 for Best Music for Theater Play - Kafka
- 2015 IFMCA Award Nominations 2014 for Best Original Score for a Television Series - Penny Dreadful
- 2011 Golden Globe Nominations 2012 for Best Original Score - W.E.
- 2011 IFMCA Award Nominations 2011 for Best Original Score for a Drama Film - W.E.
- 2010 World Soundtrack Academy 2010 for Best Original Film Score of the Year - A Single Man
- 2001 Golden Ducks Award 2001 for Best Film Composer
- 2000 Golden Lions Award 2000 for Best Music for Film - Big Animal
- Billboard Staff (2011-12-15). "Madonna's 'W.E.' Lands 2 Golden Globe Nominations". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "Full List of Golden Globes 2012 Winners". The Herald Sun. The McClatchy Company. 2012-01-16. Retrieved 2012-01-18.
- DrownedMadonna.com website.
- http://www.worldsoundtrackacademy.com/awards2.cgi?go=history&category=Public+Choice+Award&year=2010&type=w[permanent dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Abel Korzeniowski.|