|Dr. Abelardo "Abe" Saavedra|
|Education||Texas A&M University–Kingsville (BA, MA)
University of Michigan (PhD)
|Employer||Houston Independent School District
Corpus Christi Independent School District (former)
|Predecessor||Kaye Stripling (Interim)|
Saavedra received a bachelor's degree in Science in 1972 and a master's degree in Science in 1974; he earned both degrees at Texas A&I University (now Texas A&M University–Kingsville) in Kingsville. In 1976 he received his Doctor of Philosophy degree in school administration at the University of Michigan in 1976.
Beginning of career
Saavedra became a principal at 28 years of age.
Career at Corpus Christi ISD
Saavedra became the superintendent of Corpus Christi Independent School District and he held that position from 1993 to 2000 for a total of seven years. At one point authorities filed charged against Saavedra, accusing him of tampering with government documentation and theft by a public servant; the authorities accused him of labeling 344 United States dollars-worth of alcohol purchases with a CCISD-issued American Express credit card as a purchase of "meals." CCISD documents stated that Saavedra had reimbursed the district with $186.43. Some trustees said that they were with Saavedra when he purchased the alcohol. Three trustees said that they lost confidence in Saavedra, while other trustees said that they did not lose confidence. By April 4, 2000 the school board did not vote on whether to fire Saavedra. On May 18, 2000, a jury acquitted Saavedra and he paid a 100 United States dollar fine. 
Career at Houston ISD
Saavedra joined Houston ISD and became the Superintendent of the East District in February 2001. In August 2002 he became the executive deputy superintendent for School Support Services. When Houston Independent School District interim superintendent Kaye Stripling retired in August 2004 Saavedra took her position. The district officially made him superintendent on December 9, 2004. Saavedra became the first Hispanic American superintendent of Houston ISD.
- "Abelardo Saavedra, Ph.D. Archived May 8, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.." Houston Independent School District. Retrieved on February 7, 2009.
- "HISD's new 'super' man Archived December 14, 2004, at the Wayback Machine.." KHOU-TV. Thursday December 9, 2004. Retrieved on February 7, 2009.
- Parker, Dan. "Marlin charges dropped[permanent dead link]." Corpus Christi Caller-Times. Tuesday August 1, 2000. Retrieved on February 7, 2009.
- Barbee, Darren and Jeremy Schwartz. "Saavedra vote is delayed Archived July 8, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.." Corpus Christi Caller-Times. Tuesday April 4, 2000. Retrieved on February 7, 2009.
- Barbee, Darren. "Trustee division continues after inquiry[permanent dead link]." Corpus Christi Caller-Times. Sunday March 19, 2000. Retrieved on February 7, 2009.
- Databases - Public employee salaries | chron.com - Houston Chronicle
- Mellon, Ericka. "Saavedra stepping down by spring 2010." Houston Chronicle. February 4, 2009. Retrieved on February 4, 2009.