Aberdeen City Youth Council
|Industry||Youth empowerment, youth politics, representation|
|Founded||1998, 2008 as "Aberdeen City Youth Council"|
|Headquarters||Torry Youth and Leisure Centre, Torry, Aberdeen, Scotland|
Aberdeen City Youth Council is an organisation that aims to give young people a voice in decision-making at a citywide level in Aberdeen, Scotland. It is open to young people, aged 12–25 years of age. It is supported by Aberdeen City Council financially and by means of staff support, through the City Council's Youth Participation Officer.
It was previously known as the Youth Action Committee (YAC) and Listen Young People Speaking (LYPS) which performed a similar role in Aberdeen since its establishment in 1998.
In October 2010 they launched a survey to determine local attitudes on various issues; by May 2011 they had collated 165 responses. In November 2014, the chair wrote to the council after changes were made to school menus around packaged food items. In 2015 they held a sex-education session for 22 pupils, after reaching the conclusion that sex education in local schools was lacking in terms of coverage of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) issues and consent.
Youth Councillors are co-opted by the Youth Council's membership to sit on the body as long as they are eligible. Membership is open to any young person aged 14–25 years of age who lives, works or studies in Aberdeen.
The Aberdeen City Youth Council works closely with various organizations across Aberdeen, including; but not limited to: community centres, community councils, cultural organizations, local area forums and local businesses. The organization also has a very close relationship with the Scottish Youth Parliament. The Aberdeen City Youth Council is the local coordinator for Scottish Youth Parliament elections and Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament (MSYPs) for the constituencies of Aberdeen Central, Aberdeen Donside and Aberdeen South and North Kincardine. The representatives are elected by the young people of Aberdeen.
- Community youth development
- Youth politics
- British Youth Council
- United Kingdom Youth Parliament
- European Youth Parliament
- "New Aberdeen City Youth Council appointed". STV News. 3 May 2011. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- McKay, David (27 November 2014). "Youth leaders raise concerns over removal of sandwiches from school canteens". The Press and Journal. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- Brace, Harriet (17 January 2015). "Aberdeen Youth Council team giving sex education lessons". Evening Express. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "search: The Aberdeen City Youth Council SC031188". Scottish Charity Regulator. Retrieved 11 July 2016.