Abernathy Field Station
|Abernathy Field Station|
Sampling at Abernarthy Field Station in 2010.
Photo courtesy of Jamie March.
|Location||Washington, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Area||57 acres (23 ha)|
|Operator||Washington & Jefferson College|
The facility, located 5 miles (8.0 km) southeast from the campus in Washington, Pennsylvania is home to several different ecosystems, including mixed deciduous forest, conifers, several springseeps, two perennial streams, wetlands, and a mowed field. These ecosystems support a diverse slate of wildlife, including birds, salamanders, fish, small mammals, white-tailed deer, various insects, and over 100 trees. The facility is equipped with a NexSens-brand real-time weather station and stream monitoring system to provide background data for research.
The Abernathy Field Station is operated by Washington & Jefferson College, allowing faculty and students to study the structure and function of the ecosystems and wildlife in it through coursework and independent research projects. Students may not conduct research at the facility without faculty supervision. Access to the land has been provided to the college by Dr. Ernest and Janet Abernathy, and the college has committed itself to preserving the ecological integrity of the land while utilizing it as an outdoor classroom.
- "W&J: Abernathy Field Station". Washington & Jefferson College. Archived from the original on 2011-09-26. Retrieved 2011-08-24.
- "III. ABERNATHY BIOLOGICAL FIELD STATION" (PDF). Biology Majors’ Handbook 2010-2011. Washington & Jefferson College. p. 6. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-05-24. Retrieved 2011-08-24.
- "Weather & Stream Monitoring - Abernathy Field Station". Nexsens. NexSens Technology, Inc. Archived from the original on 2012-03-01. Retrieved 2011-08-24.
- "Students Turn High-Tech Tools on Forest Research Station". Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Archived from the original on 2010-03-31.
- "W&J to receive $1 million". Observer-Reporter. Washington, Pennsylvania: Observer Publishing Company. 2008-06-06. Retrieved 2011-08-24.
- Reid, Robert (Fall 2008). "W&J Receives $1 Million Grant from Howard Hughes Medical Institute" (PDF). W&J Magazine. Washington & Jefferson College. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-05-27.
Media related to Abernathy Field Station at Wikimedia Commons