Abha International Airport attack
|2019 Abha International Airport attack|
|Part of Yemeni Civil War (2015–present) and Iran–Saudi Arabia proxy conflict|
|Target||Abha International Airport|
|Date||12 June 2019,|
12.21 AM (BST)
|Executed by|| Houthi movement|
|Casualties||26 civilians injured|
The Abha International Airport attack was a cruise missile attack carried out by the Yemeni Houthi rebels which occurred on 12 June 2019 at 12.21 AM (BST). The attack targeted the arrivals hall of Abha International Airport in southwestern Saudi Arabia and injured 26 civilians.
The Saudi-led coalition stated that an Iranian made Ya Ali cruise missile had been used in the attack, but Jane's Defence Weekly later reported that a Yemeni made Quds cruise missile may have been used because of its similarity to the fins recovered from the debris.
According to the Saudi-led Arab coalition spokesman Colonel Turki al-Maliki, 26 people from different nationalities were injured. Eighteen people were treated for minor injuries while eight people were transferred to hospital.
Days after the attack, Royal Saudi Air Force conducted multiple air strikes on Houthi forces in Yemen’s capital Sana'a in response to the airport attack. According to Saudi state media, the strikes hit air-defence systems and other military positions in the Houthi-controlled city.
- Bahrain's Foreign Minister strongly condemned the attack, describing it as a “dangerous escalation through Iranian weapons.”
- Kuwait condemned the attack saying that it was a “criminal attack” on innocent people.
- France condemned the attack, which targeted Abha Airport in southwestern Saudi Arabia. Describing that its expresses their solidarity with Saudi Arabia in the face of these attacks on the security of its territory and its people.
- Malaysia strongly condemned the missile attack on the Abha International Airport. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that the attack is an unacceptable violation of international law and detrimental to the peace and security of the Middle East.
- Mauritania has expressed its condemnation in the strongest terms of the attack on Abha International Airport, which injured a number of innocent civilians.
- Pakistan strongly condemned the missile attack by Houthi militants at Abha airport in Saudi Arabia that resulted in 26 Injuries. Pakistan reiterated its full support and solidarity with the brotherly Kingdom of Saudi Arabia against any threats to its security and territorial integrity.
- The United Arab Emirates condemned the attack, stating that this attack was proof of the Houthi militia’s attempts to “undermine regional security.”
- Egypt condemned the attack stating that "Egypt stands by the government and people of Saudi Arabia in the face of any attempt targeting its security and stability."
Human Rights Watch condemned that attack, stating “unlawful Saudi-led coalition air strikes in Yemen never justify Houthi attacks on Saudi civilians”. HRW described the attack as a 'war crime' urging the Houthis to stop attacks on civilian infrastructure in Saudi Arabia.
- Binnie, Jeremy (26 June 2019). "Saudi-led coalition identifies Iranian cruise missile used against airport". Jane's Defence Weekly. IHS. Retrieved 17 September 2019.
- CNN, Nada Altaher and Bianca Britton. "Missile hits arrivals hall of Saudi Arabia airport, injuring 26, official says". CNN. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- Scarsi, Alice (2019-06-12). "Saudi Arabia airport attack: Abha Airport arrivals hall struck with rocket, scores injured". Express.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- "International condemnation of Houthi attack on Saudi Arabia's Abha airport". Arab News. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- Binnie, Jeremy (8 July 2019). "Yemeni rebels unveil cruise missile, long-range UAVs". Jane's Defence Weekly. IHS. Retrieved 17 September 2019.
- "Yemen's Houthis attack military positions at Saudi Abha and Jizan airports: TV". Yahoo / Reuters. Retrieved 2019-06-25.
- "Arab Coalition Says Houthi Terror Attack Targets Saudi Arabia's Abha Airport". Asharq AL-awsat. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- "Saudi-led coalition hits Houthi positions in Yemen's Sanaa: Saudi state TV". Reuters. 14 June 2019.
- "Arab World Condemns 'Dangerous' Attack against Saudi Arabia's Abha Airport". Asharq AL-awsat. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- "International condemnation of Houthi attack on Saudi Arabia's Abha airport". Arab News. 2019-06-12. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- "Anwar Gargash: UAE strongly condemns Houthi attack on Abha Airport in Saudi Arabia". The National. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- "Egypt condemns Houthi attack on Abha international airport in Saudi Arabia - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online". english.ahram.org.eg. Retrieved 2019-06-16.
- "Human Rights Watch declares Houthi Abha airport attack a 'war crime' as another missile targets city". Arab News. 2019-06-15. Retrieved 2019-06-16.