18 June 1955 |
Abhas Mitra (born 18 June 1955) is an Indian astrophysicist best known for his distinct views on several front-line astrophysics concepts, particularly black holes and Big Bang Cosmology. His research has received widespread attention, especially in India, which is reflected from the fact that he is one of the most cited Indian Physicists on the web.
He has regularly questioned the mainstream cosmological concepts of "Big Bang" and "Black Hole". He claims to have offered exact proofs that (i) The so-called Black Holes cannot be true black black holes even within the context of classical General relativity and (ii) The Big Bang solution is illusory and actual universe must be fundamentally different from the big bang paradigm. Consequently Dark Energy, his research claims, is an illusion caused by the departure of the complex universe from the simple big bang model.
Eternally Collapsing Objects
Though Mitra stresses that the `Black Hole’’ solutions are correct, his contention is that Black Hole masses, arising from relevant integration constants, are actually zero. His peer reviewed paper published in Journal of Mathematical Physics of the American Institute of Physics supports this contention by showing that Schwarzschild black holes have M = 0. If so, (i) The so-called massive Black Hole Candidates (BHCs) must be quasi-black holes rather than exact black holes and (ii) During preceding gravitational collapse, entire mass energy and angular momentum of the collapsing objects must be radiated away before formation of exact mathematical black holes. And since the formation of a mathematical zero mass black hole requires infinite proper time, continued gravitational collapse becomes eternal, and the so-called black hole candidates must be Eternally Collapsing Objects (ECO). Mitra’s peer reviewed papers describe why continued physical gravitational collapse should lead to formation of ECOs rather than true black holes, and the mathematical ``black hole’’ states can be achieved only asymptotically. An ECO is essentially a quasi-stable ultra-compact ball of fire (plasma) which is so hot due to preceding gravitational contraction that its outward radiation pressure balances its inward pull of gravity. Some astrophysicists claimed to have verified this prediction that astrophysical Black Hole Candidates are actually ECOs rather than true mathematical black holes. The corresponding Harvard University Press Release acknowledges Mitra's original contribution in this context.
In 2014, soon after Stephen Hawking called the alleged loss of information in black holes his "biggest blunder", Mitra received widespread attention in the Indian media, claiming that he had been 'vindicated'  citing that he had apparently refuted Hawking and indicated the same almost 13 year back .
Against the Big Bang Paradigm
As per the present version of Big Bang Paradigm, almost 70% of the mass energy of the universe is due to ``Dark Energy’’ whose most likely form is Einstein’s Cosmological Constant. But Mitra’s research has shown that Cosmological Constant is exactly zero as suspected by many. In addition, these papers point out that as per cosmological observations, the actual universe is far more complex than the idealised perfect ``isotropy and homogeneity’’ assumed by the Big Bang model; and ``Dark Energy’’ is an illusion caused by such departures.
Since perfect Hubble flow implies radially outward motion of test particles receding from one another without any mutual collision, his research claimed to shown that ideal Big Bang model corresponds to nil pressure and temperature. If correct, this implies that the ideal Big Bang model is fundamentally unable to describe the physical universe endowed with pressure and temperature.
Mitra is associated with the `Himalayan Gamma Ray Observatory being set up at Han Leh jointly by Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre and Indian Institute of Astrophysics. He is also an Adjunct Prof. in Homi Bhabha National Science Institute since 2010. Dr. Mitra is also a member of the International Astronomical Union.
- "Black holes don't exist, says BARC scientist".
- "Meet the Indian who took on Stephen Hawking".
- "Indian Physicist Abhas Mitra Claims he Resolved Black Hole Paradox Years before Stephen Hawking".
- "Black Hole Paradox Resolved By Indian Physicist Much Before Stephen Hawking".
- "Indian Physicist Abhas Mitra Says he Resolved Black Hole Paradox Before Stephen Hawking".
- "Indian physicist vindicated in black hole controversy".
- "No Black Hole According To General Relativity? Nature India".
- "Hawking vs. Mitra : Are black holes really black holes?".
- "Abhas Mitra,singurul savant care a indraznit sa-i demonstreze lui Hawking ca teoria lui este gresita".
- "Te-ai inselat, domnule Stephen Hawking!".
- "BARC SCIENTIST: INDIA'S PRIDE: Indian Scientist Who Challenged Hawking's Blackholes Theory Proved Right".
- "Anti-black hole astrophysicist furnishes proof, Nature India Science News".
- "Black holes or balls of Quark Gluon plasma? Nature India Science News".
- "You're Wrong, Stephen Hawking! The Triumph of Abhas Mitra".
- "Scientific Black Wash: The jury is still out there on whether blackholes exist".
- "Indian Physicist Questions Physical Reality of Dark Energy".
- "Indian Physicist Questions Big Bang Basics".
- "Indian Scientist Contests Big Bang '`Evidences".
- "Nobel laureates challenge Indian astrophysicist's 'lumpy cosmos' claim, Nature India Science News".
- "Google: Indian Physicists".
- A. Mitra, Nature, 501, 391 (2013) "Comments on Nature Article '`Rare star probes supermassive black hole".
- A. Mitra, Nature, 500, 7464, 28 August (2013) "Comments on the Essay '`Theoretical Physics: The Origin of Space and Time".
- A. Mitra, Nature, 500, 7641, 6 August 2013 "Comments on the Nature Paper '`Spin Rate of Black Holes Pinned Down".
- "Various Comments Made by Mitra in response to Nature News on Black Holes".
- "Eternally Collapsing Object".
- "The Genesis of "Magnetospheric Eternally Collapsing Object"".
- "Distinguished Alumni of University of Mumbai".
- "Abhas Mitra Curriculum Vitae (BARC India)".
- A. Mitra, J. Math. Phys. 50, 042502 (2009) (American Institute of Physics)"Comments on The Euclidean gravitational action as black hole entropy, singularities, and space-time voids".
- A. Mitra and K. K. Singh, Int. J. Mod. Phys. D 22, 1350054 (2013) (World Scientific) "The Mass of the Oppenheimer-Snyder Hole: Only Finite Mass Quasi-Black Holes".
- A. Mitra, Astrophysics and Space Science, Volume 332, pp 43–48 (2011) (Springer, Germany) "The fallacy of Oppenheimer Snyder collapse: no general relativistic collapse at all, no black hole, no physical singularity".
- A. Mitra,Foundations of Physics Letters, Volume 15, pp 439–471 (2002) (Springer, Germany)"On the final state of spherical gravitational collapse".
- A. Mitra, Foundations of Physics Letters, Volume 13, pp 543–579 (2000) (Springer, Germany) "Non-occurrence of trapped surfaces and Black Holes in spherical gravitational collapse: An abridged version".
- A. Mitra, Phys. Rev. D 74, 024010 (2006) (American Physical Soc., USA) "Why gravitational contraction must be accompanied by emission of radiation in both Newtonian and Einstein gravity".
- A. Mitra, MNRAS, 367, L66-L68 (2006) (Royal Astronomical Soc., London) "A generic relation between baryonic and radiative energy densities of stars".
- A. Mitra, MNRAS, 369, 492–496 (2006) (Royal Astronomical Soc. London)"Radiation pressure supported stars in Einstein gravity: eternally collapsing objects".
- A. Mitra, New Astronomy, Volume 12, 146–160 (2006) (Elsevier, Netherlands) "Sources of stellar energy, Einstein Eddington timescale of gravitational contraction and eternally collapsing objects".
- A. Mitra & N.K. Glendenning, MNRAS 404, L50-L54 (2010) (Royal Astronomical Soc., London)"Likely formation of general relativistic radiation pressure supported stars or 'eternally collapsing objects'".
- Stanley L. Robertson and Darryl J. Leiter, Astrophysical J., 565 447 (2002) (Institute of Physics, UK)"Evidence for Intrinsic Magnetic Moments in Black Hole Candidates".
- Stanley L. Robertson and Darryl J. Leiter, Astrophysical J., 596, L203 (2003) (Institute of Physics, UK)"On Intrinsic Magnetic Moments in Black Hole Candidates".
- Stanley L. Robertson and Darryl J. Leiter, MNRAS, 350, 1391–1396 (2004) (Royal Astronomical Soc. London). "On the origin of the universal radio-X-ray luminosity correlation in black hole candidates".
- Rudolph E. Schild, Darryl J. Leiter, and Stanley L. Robertson, The Astronomical Journal 132 420 (2006) (Institute of Physics, UK) "Observations Supporting the Existence of an Intrinsic Magnetic Moment inside the Central Compact Object within the Quasar Q0957+561".
- Rudolph E. Schild, Darryl J. Leiter, and Stanley L. Robertson, The Astronomical Journal, 135, 947 (2006) (Institute of Physics, UK)"Direct Microlensing-Reverberation Observations of the Intrinsic Magnetic Structure of Active Galactic Nuclei in Different Spectral States: A Tale of Two Quasars".
- "New Picture of Quasar Emerges: Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Press Release" (PDF).
- "Particle creation by black holes" (PDF).
- "Big Bang: Indian physicist says he’s vindicated".
- "Big Bang: Indian Physicist Abhas Mitra Feels Vindicated".
- "Indian physicist who opposed Big Bang origin says he's vindicated".
- "Indian physicist claims he resolved Black Hole paradox much before Stephen Hawking".
- "Black Holes are Actually "Eternally Collapsing Objects" --Indian Physicist Refutes Hawking".
- "This Indian physicist disproved black holes 13 years before Hawking".
- "Indian physicist Abhas Mitra resolved Black Hole paradox much before Stephen Hawking".
- "Indian physicist resolved Black Hole paradox much before Hawking".
- A. Mitra, General Relativity and Gravitation Volume 42, pp 443–469 (2010) (Springer, Germany) "Einstein energy associated with the Friedmann-Robertson-Walker metric".
- A. Mitra, Nature Scientific Reports 2, Article number: 923 (2012) (Nature Publishing Group, UK)"Interpretational conflicts between the static and non-static forms of the de Sitter metric".
- A. Mitra, S. Bhattacharyya, and N. Bhatt, Int. J. Mod. Phys. D 22, 1350012 (2013) (World Scientific) "ΛCDM Cosmology Through the Lens of Einstein's Static Universe, the Mother of Λ".
- A. Mitra, J. Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, 07, 007 (2013) (Institute of Physics, UK) "Energy of Einstein's static universe and its implications for the ΛCDM cosmology".
- A. Mitra, New Astronomy, Vol. 30, pp.46–50 (2014) "Why the Big Bang Model Does Not Allow Inflationary and Cyclic cosmologies Though Mathematically One Can Obtain Any Model With Favourable Assumptions".
- A. Mitra, General Relativity And Gravitation, Vol. 16, pp.1–12 (2014)"Testing R_h=ct Cosmology From Fundamental Considerations: Is the Friedmann Universe Intrinsically Flat".
- A. Mitra, Astrophysics & Space Science, Vol. 333, pp.351–356 (2011) "The matter in the Big-Bang model is dust and not any arbitrary perfect fluid!".
- A. Mitra, Journal of Modern Physics, Vol. 2, pp. 1436–1442 (2011) "Why the Big Bang Model Cannot Describe the Observed Universe Having Pressure and Radiation".
- "Physicist questions physical reality of 'Dark Energy'".
- "High Altitude Gamma Ray Observatory, Han Leh, India".