Poet-Diplomat Abhay K
1980 (age 38–39)
|Alma mater||Jawaharlal Nehru University|
|Occupation||Poet, Diplomat, Editor|
Abhay Kumar or Abhay K. (b. 1980) is an Indian poet-diplomat. His published collections of poetry include The Seduction of Delhi, The Eight-Eyed Lord of Kathmandu, CAPITALS and 100 Great Indian Poems among others. His writings cover poetry, art, memoir, global democracy and digital diplomacy. He wrote the Earth Anthem and an anthem for SAARC spurring search for an official SAARC Anthem.
He received the SAARC Literary Award for his contribution to contemporary South Asian Poetry and was nominated for the Pushcart Prize 2013. He has also been honoured with Asia-Pacific Excellence Award in 2014. His The Seduction of Delhi was shortlisted for Muse India-Satish Verma Young Writer Award 2015.
Abhay was born and raised at Rajgir in Nalanda district of Bihar. He studied at Delhi University and Jawaharlal Nehru University. He joined the Indian Foreign Service in 2003. He studied Russian language, history and literature at the Moscow State University, U.S. foreign policy at George Washington University. He speaks Hindi, English, Russian, Nepali and Portuguese.
Kumar is an Indian Foreign Service officer and has served in positions at the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of the government of India and at the Indian missions and posts abroad in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Kathmandu. At the MEA headquarters in New Delhi he served as the Under Secretary Digital diplomacy and sent the first tweet after setting up official Twitter account of the Ministry of External Affairs of India in 2010. He served as the spokesperson of the Embassy of India, Kathmandu from 2012-2015. He was appointed as the Director of the Nehru Centre, London in March 2015. Subsequently, he was appointed as India's Deputy High Commissioner to Australia in August 2015. He currently serves as India´s Deputy Chief of Mission at the Indian Embassy in Brasilia, Brazil. He has been appointed as India's next Ambassador to Madagascar. He proposed celebration of the International Day of Diplomats on the United Nations Day  which was celebrated in Brasilia for the first time on 24th Oct, 2017 with the participation of diplomats from several countries.
Abhay Kumar's first book titled River Valley to Silicon Valley(2007) was a memoir that also contained his first poem, 'Soul Song'. He has published a number of collections of his poetry. The Eight-Eyed Lord of Kathmandu (2017) is a collection of poems on the UNESCO World Heritage sites, festivals, historical personalities, landscapes and prominent places of Nepal written during his stay in Nepal from 2012-2015. It was translated into Nepali as Jatra The Seduction of Delhi became a bestselling poetry book after its launch in January 2015 and was shortlisted for Muse India-Satish Verma Young Writer Award 2015. The poet, Jayanta Mahapatra, thinks "qualities of love, tenderness and compassion set Abhay K's work apart from much of the general run of current poetics." 
Abhay Kumar's poems have appeared in several magazines and literary journals including Poetry Salzburg Review, The Asia Literary Review, Gargoyle, and The Caravan. His poems have also been included in a number of anthologies including A Poem A Day edited by Gulzar (Harper Collins|2018), The Younger Indian Poets edited by Sudeep Sen(Sahitya Akademi|2018), 100 Great Indian Poems (Bloomsbury|2018), and The Himalayan Arc edited by Namita Gokhale (Harper Collins|2018). Abhay has read his poems at major poetry and literature festivals across the globe.
In 2017, CAPITALS, an anthology of poems on the capital cities of the world edited by Abhay K., was released. It brought poets together from across the planet and included contributions from Derek Walcott, Vijay Seshadri, George Szirtes, and Ruth Padel among other prominent poets from 185 countries. 100 Great Indian Poems (2018) is an anthology of Indian poetry edited by Abhay K. covering over 3000 years of Indian poetry and 28 Indian languages. It has been translated into Irish by poet Gabriel Rosenstock and Portuguese.
In 2013 Abhay released Earth Anthem, a song intended as an anthem for the planet Earth, written by him in eight languages including six official UN languages — Arabic, Chinese, French, English, Russian and Spanish — as well as Hindi and Nepali. It was set to music by Sapan Ghimire and sung by Shreya Sotang from Nepal. It has been translated into 30 languages including Tamil, Russian, and Chinese and has received acclaim. On World Environment Day 2017, Abhay K's Earth Anthem composed by L. Subramaniam and sung by Kavita Krishnamurthy was released in Brasilia. Abhay also wrote an anthem for the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) in an attempt to foster South Asian consciousness and bring the member states of SAARC together. It has spurred discussions on the need for an official SAARC Anthem. He is the first Indian poet invited to record his poems at the Library of Congress.
Abhay's art work focus on planetary consciousness. He has exhibited his paintings in St. Petersburg, Paris and New Delhi. His art has received good reviews. Poetry-paintings of Abhay K and Italian artist Tarshito exhibited at the National Academy of Art, New Delhi highlight Delhi's glorious past.
Awards and recognition
- 2012: 1st Prize by the Amity School of Business, Noida, India for the case study Digital Revolution and Business at the 8th Renvoi, an International Management Case Study Competition
- 2012: Nominated for the Pushcart Prize
- 2013: SAARC Literary Award - Foundation of SAARC Writers and Literature
- 2014: Asia-Pacific Excellence Award
- Enigmatic Love (Bookwell|2009)
- Fallen Leaves of Autumn (ArtXpress|2010)
- Candling the Light(Yash|2011)
- Remains (HarAnand|2012)
- The Seduction of Delhi(Bloomsbury|2014)
- The Eight-eyed Lord of Kathmandu (Bloomsbury India |2018) & (The Onslaught Press, Oxford & Paris|2017)
- The Prophecy of Brasilia (Bilingual edition in English and Portuguese| GaNa, Brazil|2018)
- Uttering Her Name by Gabriel Rosenstock (Salmon Ireland)into Hindi|2015
- Anthology of Contemporary Indian English Poetry (Enchanting Verses Literary Review|2016)
- CAPITALS (Bloomsbury|2017)
- 100 Great Indian Poems (Bloomsbury|2017)
- River Valley to Silicon Valley (Bookwell|2007), republished as Becoming A Civil Servant (Kalinjar|2015)
- 10 Questions of the Soul (2010)
- Colours of Soul (Cvet Dushi) (2011)
- UNESCO finds Indian poet-diplomat's idea of an Earth Anthem inspiring, Business Standard, 27 Feb 2014
- Public Diplomacy Division Receives Gov2.in 2011 Award Deccan Herald, 12 March.
- "Diplomat-writer, who pens verse", The Tribune, Chandigarh, 16 December 2012
- "A diplomatic web", The New Indian Express, 5 August 2011
- "Poke your Babus Online" The Times of India, 26 March 2011.
- Nepal Rations Fuel as Political Crisis With India Worsens The New York Times, 28 September 2015
- India appoints poet-diplomat as Nehru Centre Director in UK Business Standard, March 26, 2015
- Abhay K. to head Nehru Centre in London The Hindu, March 28, 2015
- Abhay K appointed India's Deputy High Commissioner to Australia Archived 2 October 2015 at the Wayback Machine. ANI, 28 September 2015
- Abhay Kumar appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of MadagascarMinistry of External Affairs of India Website 9 November 2018
- Why the world needs International Day of Diplomats, our everyday peacekeepers Daily O, 11 Oct 2017
- First International Day of Diplomats celebrated in Brasilia Business Standard, 25 Oct, 2017
- "In the Service of the Nation", M.Y.O.D. 12 April 2012
- India Perspectives, ISSUU 16 August 2012
- The Hindu Literary Review 2007 The Hindu, 5 August 2007.
- The poetics of public places:How poetry from a poet-diplomat can turn into spiritual healing The Kathmandu Post, August 1, 2015
- Now, go on a 'Jatra' of poems on Nepal IANS, April 23, 2015
- Abhay K's 'The Seduction of Delhi' becomes bestseller poetry Archived 2 April 2015 at the Wayback Machine. ANI, March 30, 2015
- Poet-diplomat Abhay K's 'The Seduction of Delhi' shortlisted for Muse India award, Business Standard, 11 Nov 2015
- Diplomat Abhay K's book 'The Seduction of Delhi' to be launched at Jaipur Literature Festival DNA, 10 January 2015
- Poetry Salzburg Review Issue 30 PSR website, Issue 30, Autumn 2016
-  The Asia Literary Review Issue 31, August 2016
-  Gargoyle Magazine, December 2016
- Dara Shikoh and other poems
- Poet-diplomat brings Indian poetry to Medellin, Colombia Outlook,12 July 2017
- Poets from across the world come together to read poems on capital cities Yahoo News, 7 Jan 2017
- Buenos Aires to get a taste of Indian poetry The Indian Express, June 10, 2016
- 100 Great Indian Poems Bloomsbury India, October, 2017
- Antologia traduz para o português pérolas da poesia indiana It is also being translated into Greek, Spanish, Burmese, German and other languages. Correio Braziliense, 20 Jan, 2018
- Entrevista com Abhay K .100 Grandes Poemas da Índia Brasilia in Foco, 12 Jan 2018
- "A diplomat is taking Indian poetry to the world through translations of a hundred ‘great poems’",Scroll.in, 21 Jan, 2018
-  ICCR website, June 2013
- "Indian Diplomat pens anthem for Earth" The New Indian Express, 5 June 2013
- "Indian diplomat in Nepal pens the Earth Anthem" IANS, 27 June 2013
- Poet-diplomat's Earth Anthem enlivened by maestro L. Subramaniam, Kavita Krishnamurthy The Daily Pioneer, June 6, 2017
- Indian diplomat pens "SAARC Anthem" NDTV, 3 December 2013
- The Hindu, 4 December 2013
- Indian diplomat's poem spurs search for SAARC anthem Hindustan Times, 9 January 2014
- K first Indian poet to record poems at Library of CongressANI, August30, 2018
- Indian Diplomat turned Artist presents his works on Planetary Consciousness, ANI, 28 April 2011
- "We have come far", Indrus, 15 April 2011
- Art exhibition "We have come far" by Abhay Kumar opened at RCSC, rusembassy.in, 15 April 2011
- "A second Life". Indian Express. 2011-05-04. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- Artists highlight the glory of Delhi through poetry-paintings, Business Standard, 16 September 2014
- "1st prize awarded to Abhay Kumar by Amity School of Business". Issuu.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "IFS officer nominated for coveted Pushcart Prize", 2 December 2012
- "Poet Abhay K wins SAARC Literature Award" Archived 23 March 2013 at the Wayback Machine., Hindustan Times, 14 March 2013
- "Five writers honoured at the SAARC Literature Festival" Archived 15 March 2013 at the Wayback Machine., PTI, 11 March 2013
- Asia-Pacific Excellence Award to Indian poet-diplomat Abhay K, ANI, 14 October 2014
- "Enigmatic Love". Issuu.com. 2010-08-04. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Fallen Leaves of Autumn". Issuu.com. 2010-08-04. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Candling the Light". IBNLive. 2011-11-07. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Diplomat Abhay K. releases his new book Remains". Indian Express. 2012-07-01. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Dream WINDOW". The Hindu. 2012-07-01. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- The Eight-Eyed Lord of Kathmandu The Onslaught Press, UK, October 2017
- Contemporary Indian English Poetry Enchanting Verses Literary Review, November 2015
- CAPITALS Bloomsbury Publishing, 18 December 2016
- Great Indian Poems Bloomsbury Publishing, October, 2017
- "10 Questions of the Soul". Issuu.com. 2010-10-04. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Цвет души". Issuu.com. 2011-02-17. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- A diplomat is taking Indian poetry to the world through translations of a hundred ‘ great poems’ Scroll.in
- How an Indian diplomat created an anthology of poetry on the world’s capitals Scroll.in
- The Sage Indian of Brasilia: Chandrahas Choudhury profiles Abhay K. Mint Lounge
- A Journey of thoughts with Abhay K on India's National Channel DD National
- Poetry reading at Jaipur Literature Festival 2015 Poetry 24x7 Start at 9 MinJaipur Literature Festival
- Of poetry and passports, The Hindu