|Dr. Abhaya Indrayan|
11 November 1945 |
Meerut, Uttar Pradesh
|Other names||A. Indrayan|
|Known for||His work on medical biostatistics|
Abhaya Indrayan (born 11 November 1945) is an Indian professor and researcher of Biostatistics. He had worked with different organizations and universities, including Delhi University College of Medical Sciences and the World Health Organization.
Indrayan currently resides in Delhi NCR, India after his retirement. He is married and has two children.
Early life and education
Abhaya Indrayan was born in on November 11, 1945 in Meerut, India. He was born during the time that India was fighting for its freedom from the British rule. That was the reason why his father, who was a freedom fighter, was jailed repeatedly for long periods.
Indrayan took his early education in Meerut from N.A.S. Inter. College and Meerut College. In 1977, he received his master's degree and Doctoral degree from The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, USA.
Indrayan was the founding Professor and Head of the Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics in Delhi University College of Medical Sciences. In 1995, his department was set up as an independent division, and was upgraded to a full department in 2005.
During his tenure in the college since 1979, he had been the Sports Adviser, Coordinator of Medical Education Unit, Chairman Computer Committee, Convenor Souvenir Committee, Incharge Annual Reports and held several other important assignments. He also taught online courses for the Faculty of Institute of Statistics Education in Arlington County, Virginia.
He has more than 200 publications to his credit, including the book Medical Biostatistics. A partial list of his publications appears at his institution's website and at the website of Indian Academy of Sciences. Among his other significant works are: smoking index at Collection of Biostatistics Research Archive of Berkeley Electronic Press, which has more than 6000 downloads; and estimates and projections of cardiovascular and diabetes cases in India, which are now quoted in the Government of India's official estimates at National Health Profile.
He stayed in the institution until retiring in 2010, wherein he attained the age of 65.
Indrayan had collaborated with the World Health Organization for several projects including National Burden of Disease Studies: a Practical Guide and Teaching Health Statistics, as well as participated in their Regional Consultations. He has completed 17 assignments for the World Health Organization, 3 for the World Bank, 3 for UNAIDS and 2 for Danish Assistance to the National Program for Prevention and Control of Blindness.
Honors and awards
- Elected Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences (2011).
- Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society. (2002)
- Elected Fellow of the National Academy of Medical Sciences (India) – a rare distinction for a non-medical scientist to be so honoured at that time (1998)
- Elected Fellow of the Indian Society for Medical Statistics (1996)
- WHO Fellow and Visiting Research Scientist at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA (1995)
- Convenor, Special Interest Group on Medical Informatics, Computer Society of India (1994–1999).
- Chairman, Silver Jubilee Committee, Indian Society for Medical Statistics (2008–2011)
- President-Elect of the Indian Society for Medical Statistics (2012–2014)
- Indrayan, A. (2012). Medical Biostatistics (3rd ed.). CRC Press. ISBN 978-1-4398-8414-0.
- Indrayan, A. (2012). Basic Methods of Medical Research (3rd ed.). AITBS Publishers. ISBN 978-81-7473-335-1.
- Indrayan, A. (2012). Fundamentals of Medical Research: For emerging researchers (1st ed.). Lap Lambert. ISBN 978-3-659-20862-1.
- Indrayan, A. (2009). Simple Biostatistics for MBBS, PG Entrance and USMLE (3rd ed.). Academa Publishers. ISBN 978-81-88511-74-7.
- Indrayan, A. (2006). Biostatistics for Medical, Nursing and Pharmacy Students (1st ed.). PHI Learning. ISBN 978-81-203-3054-2.
- Indrayan, A. (1997). HIV/AIDS Research in India. National AIDS Control Organization.
- Indrayan, A. (1986). Solution Manual for Introduction to Statistical Methods, Volume 1. Rowman & Allanheld.
- "Department of Statistics, The Ohio State University, Graduation Year: 1975–1979". Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Department of Biostatistics, University College of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi". Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "University College of Medical Sciences, Delhi University, Medical Education Unit". Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "Publications". Indrayan personal website. Retrieved 2013-03-02.
- "Medical Biostatistics, CRC Press". Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "University College of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi, Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics, List of Publications". Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Publication of Fellows, Indian Academy of Sciences". Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "A simple index of smoking". Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Author Dashboard, Berkeley Electronic Press,". Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Forecasting vascular disease cases and associated mortality in India, Background Papers, Burden of Disease in India, National Commission on Macroeconomics and Health, Government of India, 2005" (PDF). Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "3. Health Status Indicators, National Health Profile of India 2011, Government of India, pages 97 and 100," (PDF). Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "National Burden of Disease Studies: A Practical Guide, Edition 2.0, World Health Organization, 2001, page iii" (PDF). Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Teaching Health Statistics: Lesson and Seminar Outlines, World Health Organization, 1999, page viii" (PDF). Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "SEARO Regional Consultation, Health Systems Performance, Participant List". Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "Report on Regional Consultation and Technical Workshop on Health Systems Performance Assessment, WHO/SEARO, New Delhi, 18–21 June 2001" (PDF). Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Fellowship, Indian Academy of Sciences". Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Fellowship, Royal Statistical Society, login required". Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Medical Informatics: Special Interest Group Set up by CSI appearing in NISSAT Newsletter No 2, 1994, pages 39–40" (PDF). Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- International Epidemiological Association
- International Biometric Society
- International Statistical Institute
- Royal Statistical Society
- Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics, University College of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi
- MedicalBiostatistics.com: A Resource for Medical, Health and Allied Research
- Indian Academy of Sciences
- Indian Society for Medical Statistics