Professor Abhaya Induruwa මහාචාර්ය අභය ඉඳුරුව
Professor Abhaya Induruwa delivering Internet Hall of Fame Acceptance Speech 
Dalugama, Kelaniya Sri Lanka
|Education||Nalanda College, Colombo |
University of Sri Lanka, Katubedda Campus
Imperial College London
|Occupation||Endowed Professor (Sri Lanka) and Director, Cyber Innovation Hub (CCCU - UK)|
|Known for||Pioneering Internet & Academic and Research Networking (LEARN) in Sri Lanka|
|Awards||Fellow of the Computer Society of Sri Lanka (2003) |
Internet Hall of Fame (2014)
Internet Pioneers Award at the 20th Anniversary of Internet in Sri Lanka (2015)
"Zero-One Life Time Achievement Award of Sri Lanka Telecom". (2017)
"LEARN Pioneer Award at the 30th Anniversary of LEARN". (2019)
Abhaya Induruwa Sinhala: අභය ඉඳුරුව is the inaugural Professor V K Samaranayake Endowed Professor of Computing, University of Colombo School of Computing, Sri Lanka. Currently he serves as the Director of Cyber Innovation Hub in the School of Engineering, Technology and Design at Canterbury Christ Church University in the United Kingdom where he leads research into security and forensic investigation of Internet of Things (IoT). Professor Induruwa is considered the father of Internet in Sri Lanka.
After spending three years of his early primary education at Kahagolla Madya Maha Vidyalaya, Diyatalawa, he was admitted to Nalanda College, Colombo from where he proceeded to the University of Sri Lanka, Katubedda Campus. He is the first student to graduate with a First Class Honours degree in Electrical or Electronics Engineering since the inception of the University of Sri Lanka, Katubedda Campus, and is the recipient of the Prof Om Prakash Kulshreshtha award for the Best Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in 1975. In September 1976 he proceeded to Imperial College London and in January 1980 he was awarded PhD from the University of London for his research on Computer Simulation Techniques in Power Systems Planning. His research supervisor was Emeritus Professor Brian J. Cory.
Professor Induruwa founded the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Moratuwa in 1985, the first and the only department of its kind in a Sri Lankan university, and served as its Head until 1998.
In 1989 he pioneered and served as the Principal Investigator of project LEARN (Lanka Education and Research Network),  which he developed into the academic Internet in Sri Lanka . He obtained funds from the Sri Lankan government and other well wishers, commissioned staff and resources, provided technical and managerial leadership, and led the project LEARN to completion in 1995. He also administered the .LK domain since its first registration in 1990 until 1998.
Professor Induruwa is a founding member of the Internet Society (ISOC - Kobe, 1992) and a member of the Internet Society Sri Lanka Chapter. He is a contributing author to the Asia Internet History project.
He is a Chartered Engineer, a Chartered Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology, UK, Chartered Fellow of the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka, and a Chartered Fellow of the British Computer Society.
Professor Induruwa is a founding member of the Computer Society of Sri Lanka (1976). In recognition of his services to computer education and IT industry in Sri Lanka the Honorary Fellowship of the Computer Society of Sri Lanka was conferred on him in 2003.
In recognition of his signal contribution to the growth, connectivity, and use of the Internet in Sri Lanka, and for pioneering LEARN - the first IP WAN in Sri Lanka  - Professor Induruwa was inducted to the Internet Hall of Fame 2014, an honorary lifetime achievement award administered by the Internet Society. Recognising his significant contribution to the development of networking and Internet in Sri Lanka Professor Induruwa was honoured by the Internet Society Sri Lanka Chapter with an Internet Pioneers Award at the celebration of 20 years of Internet in Sri Lanka in June 2015. For his exceptional contribution to the digital arena Prof Induruwa received a Life Time Achievement Award from Sri Lanka Telecom in June 2017. In October 2019, at the 30th anniversary celebrations of LEARN, he received the LEARN Founder Award from H E Maithripala Sirisena, the President of Sri Lanka, for proposing in 1989 the conceptual design for an academic and research network in Sri Lanka, and implementing the same between 1990-1995, finally connecting to the Internet in 1996.
Prof Induruwa served on the Internet Hall of Fame Advisory Board from 2016 until 2018. He serves as a Member of the General Assembly of the European Cybercrime Education and Training Group (ECTEG) of the Europol. In 2018 he served as an Expert on Cybercrime to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) on their Education for Justice (E4J) project. In 2019 he served as an Expert to the Belgian Federal Science Policy Office (BelSPO) to evaluate project proposals under BRAIN-BE 2.0 (Belgian Research Action Through Interdisciplinary Networks).
Life Time Achievement Awards
2003 - Honorary Fellow of the Computer Society of Sri Lanka recognizing the distinguished services to the ICT education and ICT profession in Sri Lanka
2014 - Internet Hall of Fame Lifetime Achievement Award of the Internet Society (ISOC) for pioneering IP networking and Internet in Sri Lanka
2015 - Internet Pioneers Award of the Internet Society-Sri Lanka (ISOC-LK) Chapter celebrating 20 years of Internet in Sri Lanka
2017 - Sri Lanka Telecom Zero-One Lifetime Achievement Award for exceptional contribution to the digital arena
2019 - LEARN Founder Award for proposing, designing and implementing academic and research networking, and pioneering Internet in Sri Lanka
Keynotes and public lectures
- "LEARN: Its Journey from 1989", Keynote address at the 30th Anniversary of Lanka Experimental Academic & Research Network (LEARN), 7 October 2019, Hotel Shangri-la, Sri Lanka.      
- "Emerging Cyberspace Challenges and the Role of Cyber-intelligence", Main keynote address at the inauguration of the 12th International Research Conference of the General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University (KDU), 11 September 2019, Ratmalana, Sri Lanka. 
- "Realising the Internet of Things (IoT): Can we afford to miss the opportunity?", Plenary keynote address at the 12th International Research Conference of the General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University (KDU), 11 September 2019, Ratmalana, Sri Lanka. ("KDU Computer Science Plenary Keynote Speech - 2019 on Youtube".)
- "Computer Science & Smart Currencies", Plenary Keynote address at the 11th International Research Conference of the General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University (KDU), 14 September 2018, Ratmalana, Sri Lanka. ("KDU Computer Science Plenary Keynote Speech - 2018 on Youtube".)
- "Sri Lanka 3CENTRE - A National Initiative for Capacity Building in Cybercrime Forensics, Cybersecurity & Cyber Intelligence", Keynote Speech delivered at the Cyber Security Industry Forum, 31 May 2017, Colombo, Sri Lanka.    
- "Internet - the Next Wave of Disruption: Opportunities and Threats", Keynote Speech delivered at the 34th National IT Conference (NITC 2016) of the Computer Society of Sri Lanka, 9–10 August 2016, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- "Internet of Everything: How secure should it be?", Keynote Speech delivered at the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Research in Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks ("ICRCICN 2015". Archived from the original on 24 November 2015. Retrieved 23 November 2015.), 20–22 November 2015, Kolkata, India.
- "A (brief) Moment in Internet History", Address delivered at the 20 Years of Internet in Sri Lanka, 8 June 2015, Colombo, Sri Lanka.  
- "Making and Breaking the Internet", Guest Speaker at the "Engineers Australia WA" (PDF)., 18 December 2014, Perth, Australia.
- "Distributed Computation: Its impact on Network Security and Forensics", Keynote Speech delivered at the 2014 IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks, 14–16 November 2014, Kolkata, India.
- "ICT for Inclusive Development of Sri Lanka beyond 2020", Keynote Speech delivered at the 32nd National IT Conference of the Computer Society of Sri Lanka, 26–27 August 2014, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- "Intelligent Future", Seventh Annual Professor V K Samaranayake Memorial Oration delivered at the University of Colombo School of Computing, 23 July 2014, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- "The Internet: Where is it taking us?", Presentation at the felicitation ceremony organized by the Internet Society, Sri Lanka Chapter". DiGIT Magazine. 16 April 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "The Dark Side of the Internet", Presentation at the public lecture sponsored by the Computer Society of Sri Lanka in collaboration with the Internet Society, Sri Lanka Chapter". DiGIT Magazine. 19 September 2013. Retrieved 1 October 2013. 
- "Hidden in the Clouds: Impact on Data Security and Forensic Investigation", Keynote Speech delivered at the International Conference on ICT for Emerging Regions, 1–2 September 2011, Colombo, Sri Lanka. 
- "Cyberwar - How Real is the Threat?", Keynote Speech delivered at the 29th National IT Conference of the Computer Society of Sri Lanka, 24–25 August 2011, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Schafer, Valérie (15 March 2017). "Tell us about ... Internet Histories - Memories and Testimonies". Internet Histories. 1 (1–2): 188–196. doi:10.1080/24701475.2017.1301132.
- "ඔබේ ස්මාර්ට් ජංගම දුරකථනය තුල ඔබ කෙතරම් සුරක්ෂිතද? (සංහිඳ සජීවී විකාශණය) - (How secure are you when you use your Smart Mobile Phone on the Internet? - 'Sanhinda' Live Broadcast)". 'Nuga Sevana' Programme of the Sri Lanka Rupavahini Corporation. 4 August 2016. Retrieved 4 August 2016.
- "Prof Abhaya Induruwa: In-depth interviews at ISOC Hall of Fame 2014". Imagining the Internet Center at Elon University, North Carolina. 7 April 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Interview with Prof Abhaya Induruwa, Father of Internet in Sri Lanka". DiGIT Magazine. 25 April 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "2014 Historic Profile Series: Abhaya Induruwa". Internet Hall Fame. 3 June 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Interview with Prof Abhaya Induruwa, on Induction to the Internet Hall of Fame". DiGIT Magazine. 8 April 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "We cannot escape from the technological pull by the developed world - Prof Abhaya Induruwa" (PDF). Business Today. July 1999.
- "Professor Induruwa's Internet Hall of Fame Acceptance Speech".
- Interview with Prof. Abhaya Induruwa, Father of Internet in Sri Lanka
- "A proposal to set up a Lankan Experimental Academic and Research Network (LEARN), April 1989" (PDF).
- "LEARN Internet - A (modified) Proposal to Introduce Internet Services to the Academic and Research Community in Sri Lanka, January 1992" (PDF).
- ISoc Sri Lanka Chapter Archived 20 October 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Asia Internet History
- "Abhaya Induruwa - BCS Fellow Case Study" (PDF).
- "IESL Directory of Seminal Publications 1923 - 2011". Archived from the original on 17 September 2013. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- Prof Abhaya Induruwa - Internet Hall of Fame Inductee
- DiGiT Interview with Prof Abhaya Induruwa
- Felicitation Ceremony organised by the Internet Society Sri Lanka Chapter on 16 April 2014
- Lanka Experimental Academic and Research Network (LEARN) 30- year anniversary, README,7 October, 2019
- 30th Anniversary of Lanka Education & Research Network (LEARN) was held under President’s patronage, Business News Online, 8 October, 2019
- The future of LEARN: Reflecting on 3 decades of networking, README, 15 October 2017
- LEARN turns 30: The evolution of Sri Lanka's 1st wide area network, Daily Mirror Online, 9 November 2019
- Sri Lanka’s 1st Wide Area Network LEARN turns 30, Daily News e-Paper, 26 November 2019
- LEARN Celebrates 30th Anniversary, Business Today, November 2019
- Prominent researchers attend KDU International Research Conference
- SLT holds industry forum on cyber security, The Island Online, July 9, 2017
- SLT holds industry forum on cyber security, Daily News e-Paper, July 11, 2017
- SLT holds industry forum on cyber security, Daily FT, July 19, 2017
- SLT Holds Forum On Cyber Security, Business Today.lk, August 2017
- Sri Lanka celebrates 20 years of internet, Daily FT, 23 June 2015
- Thakral One Singapore hails Internet Society for recognizing Sri Lankan technology pioneers, Daily Mirror Business News, 16 July 2015
- A peek into the dark side of the internet, README, 6 October 2013
- International Conference on Advances in ICT for Emerging Regions (ICTer), 2011, DOI:10.1109/ICTer.2011.6075014
- "Sri Lanka celebrates 20 years of Internet". Daily FT. 23 June 2015. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Moratuwa University Computer Science Dept. turns 25". Sunday Observer. 7 February 2010. Archived from the original on 16 October 2012. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "CSE'2003 Conference Program". University of Moratuwa. 28 June 2003. Archived from the original on 7 August 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2011.