This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Banerjee at the 2011 FT Goldman Sachs Business Book of the Year Award
|Born||21 February 1961|
|Spouse(s)||Arundhati Tuli Banerjee (divorced)|
Esther Duflo (2015)
|Institution||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Alma mater||Presidency College, Calcutta|
Jawaharlal Nehru University
Abhijit Vinayak Banerjee (Bengali: অভিজিৎ বন্দ্যোপাধ্যায়; born 1961) is an Indian American economist. He is currently the Ford Foundation International Professor of Economics at MIT. Banerjee is a co-founder of the Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (along with economists Esther Duflo and Sendhil Mullainathan), a research affiliate of Innovations for Poverty Action, and a member of the Consortium on Financial Systems and Poverty. Banerjee was a president of the Bureau for the Research in the Economic Analysis of Development, a research associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research, a research fellow at the Centre for Economic Policy Research, an international research fellow of the Kiel Institute, fellow at the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and a fellow at the Econometric Society. He also has been a Guggenheim Fellow and an Alfred P. Sloan Fellow. He is the co-author of Poor Economics.
Banerjee was born in Kolkata, India, to Nirmala Banerjee, a professor of economics at the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta, and Dipak Banerjee, a professor and the head of the Department of Economics at Presidency College, Calcutta.
He attended South Point School and Presidency College, Calcutta, where he completed his B.S. degree in economics in 1981. Later, he completed his M.A. in economics at the Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi in 1983. Later, he went on to obtain a Ph.D. in economics at Harvard in 1988. The subject of his doctoral thesis was "Essays in Information Economics."
His work focuses on development economics. Together with Esther Duflo, Michael Kremer, John A. List, and Sendhil Mullainathan, he has proposed field experiments as an important methodology to discover causal relationships in economics.
He was elected a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2004. He also was honoured with the Infosys Prize 2009 in the social sciences category of economics. He is also the recipient of the inaugural Infosys Prize in the category of social sciences (economics).
In 2019, he delivered Export-Import Bank Of India's 34th Commencement Day Annual Lecture on Redesigning Social Policy.
This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: unformatted list (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Aghion, Philippe; Banerjee, Abhijit (2005). Volatility And Growth. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199248612.
- Banerjee, Abhijit Vinayak; Bénabou, Roland; Mookherjee, Dilip, eds. (2006). Understanding Poverty. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195305203.
- Banerjee, Abhijit Vinayak (2005). Making Aid Work. Cambridge: MIT Press. ISBN 9780262026154.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V.; Duflo, Esther (2011). Poor Economics: A Radical Rethinking of the Way to Fight Global Poverty. New York: PublicAffairs. ISBN 9781610390408.
- Banerjee, Abhijit Vinayak; Duflo, Esther, eds. (2017). Handbook of Field Experiments, Volume 1. North–Holland (an imprint of Elsevier). ISBN 9780444633248.
- Banerjee, Abhijit Vinayak; Duflo, Esther, eds. (2017). Handbook of Field Experiments, Volume 2. North–Holland (an imprint of Elsevier). ISBN 9780444640116.
Papers, other publications and unpublished works
- The Miracle of Microfinance? Evidence From a Randomized Evaluation
June 2010 Abhijit Banerjee, Esther Duflo, Rachel Glennerster, and Cynthia Kinnan
- Targeting the Poor: Evidence from a Field Experiment in Indonesia
- The Shape of Temptation: Implications for the Economic Lives of the Poor
April 2010 Abhijit Banerjee and Sendhil Mullainathan
- Giving Credit Where it is Due
March 2010 Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo
2000 to 2009
- Improving Health Care Delivery in India
November 2009 Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo
- Marry for What? Caste and Selection in Modern India
2009 Abhijit Banerjee, Esther Duflo, Maitreesh Ghatak, and Jeanne Lafortune
- The Miracle of Microfinance? Evidence from a Randomized Evaluation
Abhijit Banerjee, Esther Duflo, Rachel Glennerster, and Cynthia Kinnan May 2009
- Parochial Politics: Ethnic Preferences and Politician Corruption
Abhijit Banerjee and Rohini Pande 2009
Abhijit Banerjee, Rema Hanna, and Sendhil Mullainathan February 2009
- Why Does Missallocation Persist?
Abhijit Banerjee and Benjamin Moll February 2009
- A Capitalist Knows Who To Call
A. Banerjee 2008, M. Kinsley, Creative Capitalism: A Conversation with Bill Gates and Warren Buffett and Other Economic Leaders, pp. 161–165.
- Why fighting poverty is hard
September 2008 Abhijit Banerjee
- Big Answers for Big Questions: The Presumption of Growth Policy
Abhijit Banerjee September 2008
- The Experimental Approach to Development Economics
Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo September 2008
- Pitfalls of Participatory Programs:Evidence from a Randomized Evaluation in Education in India
Abhijit Banerjee, Rukmini Banerji, Esther Duflo, Rachel Glennerster, Stuti Khemani August 2008
- Mandated Empowerment: Handing Antipoverty Policy Back to the Poor?
Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo June 2008
- Why Has Unemployment Risen in the New South Africa
Abhijit Banerjee, Sebastian Galiani, Jim Levinsohn, Zoe McLaren, and Ingrid Woolard June 2008
- Making Aid Work
Abhijit Banerjee and Ruimin He May 2008
- Do Firms Want to Borrow More? Testing Creit Constraints Using a Directed Lending Program
Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo May 2008
- Improving Immunization Coverage in Rural India: A Clustered Randomized Controlled Evaluation of Immunization Campaigns with and without Incentives
May 2010 Abhijit Banerjee, Esther Duflo, Rachel Glennerster, and Dhruva Kothari
- Limited Attention and Income Distribution
Abhijit Banerjee and Sendhil Mullainthan January 2008
- Aging and Death under a Dollar a Day
Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo December 2007
- What is Middle Class about the Middle Classes Around the World?
Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo December 2007
- Public Action for Public Goods
A. Banerjee, L. Iyer, and R. Somanathan September 2006, Handbook of Development Economics, Vo. 4
- The Economic Lives of the Poor
A. Banerjee and E. Duflo April 2006, Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vo. 21(1), pp. 141–167
- Updated Table (17 March 2008) for Economic Lives of the Poor and What is Middle Class about the Middle Classes Around the World?
with Esther Duflo
- Comment on Buiter-Patel
April 2006, India Policy Forum, Vo. 2
- The Paradox of Indian Growth: A comment on Kochar, et al.
A. Banerjee July 2006, Journal of Monetary Economics, Vo. 53(5), pp. 1021–1026
- The Political Economy of Public Goods: Some Evidence from India
A. Banerjee and R. Somanathan April 2006
- Growth Theory through the Lens of Development Economics
A. Banerjee and E. Duflo December 2005, Published: Handbook of Development Economics, Vol. 1a. Amsterdam: Elsevier, pp. 473–552
- Remedying Education Evidence from Two Randomized Experiments in India
A. Banerjee, S. Cole, E. Duflo, and L. Linden December 2005, NBER Working paper 11904 Addressing Absence A. Banerjee and E. Duflo May 2005, Published: Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vo. 20 (1), pp. 117–132
- Bank Financing in India
A. Banerjee, S. Cole, and E. Duflo 2005, India's and China's Recent Experience with Reform and Growth, Wanda Tseng, and David Cowen, eds.
- Bank Financing in India
A. Banerjee, S. Cole and E. Duflo 2005, India's and China's Recent Experience with Reform and Growth, Wanda Tseng, and David Cowen, eds.
- Inequality and Investment
A. Banerjee December 2004
- Notes Toward a Theory of Industrialization in the Developing World
A. Banerjee October 2004, Marjit, S. and N. Banerjee (Eds.) Development, Displacement and Disparity: India in the Last Quarter of the Century, pp. 139–159
- History, Social Divisions and Public Goods in Rural India
A. Banerjee, L. Iyer, and R. Somanathan 2004
- History, Institutions and Economic Performance: The Legacy of Colonial Land Tenure Systems in India
A. Banerjee and L. Iyer October 2004
- What do banks (not) do
A. Banerjee and E. Duflo September 2004
- Do Firms Want to Borrow More? Testing Credit Constraints Using a Directed Lending Program
A. Banerjee and E. Duflo August 2004
- Banking Reform in India
A. Banerjee, S. Cole, and E. Duflo June 2004
- Bank Financing in India
A. Banerjee, S. Cole, and E. Duflo October 2003
- Top Indian Incomes, 1956–2000
A. Banerjee and T. Piketty June 2003
- Strategy For Economics Reform in West Bengal
A. Banerjee, P. Bardhan, K. Basu, M. Ghatak, et al. October 2002, Economic and Political Weekly of India, 12 October 2002
- The Uses of Economic Theory: Against a Purely Positive Interpretation of Theoretical Results
A. Banerjee May 2002 A Corporate Balance-Sheet Approach to Currency Crises P. Aghion, P. Bacchetta, and A. Banerjee November 2001
- Caste, Community and Collective Action: The Political Economy of Public Good Provision in India
A. Banerjee and R. Somanathan September 2001
- Herd Behavior and the Reward for Originality
A. Banerjee Unpublished Mimeo, May 1989
- On Frequent Flyer Programs and other Loyalty-Inducing Economic Arrangements
A. Banerjee and L. Summers Harvard University Discussion Paper, 1337, September 1987
- Duflo, Esther (1999), Essays in empirical development economics. Ph.D. dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Karlan, Dean S. (2002), Social capital and microfinance. Ph.D. dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- "Our focus is to enrol people suffering from lack of identity: Nandan Nilekani". The Times of India. 6 July 2010.
- "Abhijit Banerjee Short Bio". Massachusetts Institute of Technology • Department of Economics. 2017-10-24. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Book of Members, 1780–2010: Chapter B" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- Infosys Prize 2009 – Social Sciences – Economics Archived 17 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "UCLA Anderson Announces 2012 Gerald Loeb Award Winners". UCLA Anderson School of Management. June 26, 2012. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "Ban names high-level panel to map out 'bold' vision for future global development efforts". Retrieved 6 November 2013.