This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Directed by||A. Kodandarami Reddy|
|Produced by||K.S. Rama Rao|
|Written by||Yandamuri Veerendranath|
Rao Gopal Rao
|Edited by||Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao|
|Distributed by||Creative Commercials|
Abhilasha (English: Desire) is a 1983 Telugu film, directed by A. Kodandarami Reddy and produced by K.S. Rama Rao. It is the film adaptation of Yandamuri Veerendranath's novel of the same name. Chiranjeevi, Raadhika, Rao Gopal Rao and Gollapudi Maruthi Rao played vital roles. The super hit music for the movie was scored by Ilaiyaraaja.
The film was remade in Tamil as Sattathai Thiruthungal, with Mohan.
In spite of being an adaptation of a novel, the core plot had similarities with the 1946 movie The Man Who Dared and the 1956 movie Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. This film was reported as a blockbuster at the box office.
Struggling lawyer Chiranjeevi (Chiranjeevi) lives with his roommate (Allu Aravind) and strives for removing IPC Section 302. The reason behind his determination is his father's death sentence under 302 for rape and murder, which he didn't commit.
Sarvothama Rao (Rao Gopal Rao), a famous criminal lawyer in that city, sends an invitation to every famous lawyer for a party at his place. By his secretary's mistake, one invitation reaches Chiranjeevi, and he gets a chance to meet Sarvothama Rao and express his idea about IPC 302. He also meets Sarvothama Rao's niece Archana (Raadhika) at the party and falls in love with her. When their love starts blossoming, Archana has to attend a meeting in another country and she leaves for a few days.
During this time, Chiranjeevi comes up with an idea: to plan a fake murder in which he will implicate himself and receive a death sentence. According to his plan, Sarvothama Rao will show original pictures of the dead body to the governor at the last moment and rescue Chiranjeevi. Then, both intend to file a petition with the Supreme Court against IPC 302. They manage to frame him with the body of a woman, and Chiranjeevi is sentenced to death, just as he planned. In jail, guard Vishnu Sharma (Rallapalli) is surprised to see Chiranjeevi happy before his death. Archana returns from abroad and finds out that Chiranjeevi will be hanged the next day. She goes to meet Chiranjeevi in prison, and he acts like he actually did commit the crime out of lust. Archana does not know Chiranjeevi's plan and leaves in disgust. On the night before Chiranjeevi's hanging, Sarvothama Rao, who is on his way to meet governor to rescue Chiranjeevi, has an accident.
A tense Chiranjeevi reveals to Vishnu Sharma that this was all fake and that he did not kill the woman, pleading for his help. Vishnu Sharma runs to Archana's house to tell her the truth. After a night-long struggle, they manage to get in touch with Sarvothama Rao, who is alive in the hospital. They get the original negatives, and Chiranjeevi is saved from being hanged.
Sarvothama Rao throws a party to celebrate Chiranjeevi's success and announces Chiranjeevi and Archana's engagement. Paidithalli (Gollapudi Maruti Rao), a drunk, drags Chiranjeevi out of the party, and Archana gets suspicious about their secret talk. She follows him. Meanwhile, Chiranjeevi believes that the dead body of the woman he used did not die a natural death. A postmortem report shows that she was killed by a man with 4 fingers on one hand. Archana remembers a goon who attacked her on the night she saved Chiranjeevi. Chiranjeevi reveals that he bought the body from that 4-fingered goon. It slowly unfolds that the dead woman was Sarvothama Rao's daughter from his extramarital relationship. Sarvothama Rao is arrested, and in court, the judge sentences him to death. But Chiranjeevi objects. He finds that the death penalty is ridiculous and that it is not a punishment to kill someone. To punish, one must suffer for his/her actions. After a short speech, the judge agrees and instead gives him 7 years to prison.
- Chiranjeevi as Chiranjeevi
- Radhika as Archana
- Rao Gopal Rao as Sarvothama Rao
- Rallapalli as Vishnu Sarma
- Gollapudi Maruthi Rao as Paidithalli
- Rajyalakshmi as Sarvothama Rao's daughter
- Bheema Raju as Bheema Raju
- Mada Venkateswara Rao
- Uyyuru Ramakrishna
- C. S. Rao
- Satyendra Kumar
- P. J. Sarma
- Krishna Chaitanya
- K. L. N. Rao
- Mallikharjuna Rao
- G. Murthy
- M. Jagadeesh Babu
- Story: Yandamuri Veerendranath & O. S. R. Murthy
- Screenplay: A. Kodandarami Reddy & G. Satyamurthy
- Dialogues: Yandamuri Veerendranath & Satyanand
- Lyrics: Acharya Atreya & Veturi Sundararama Murthy
- Playback Singers: S. P. Balasubrahmanyam & S. Janaki
- Dresses: Kondaiah, Babu Rao, M. Krishna & Shyam
- Makeup Artistes: Uyyuru Ramakrishna, Suresh, Siva, Chandra, P. Rambabu & Bobbili Rama Rao
- Hair Stylist: Sreenu & Rita
- Stills: Syamala Rao
- Publicity Designs: L. Bhaskar
- Recording & Re-recording: Pandu
- Sound mixing: S. P. Ramanathan
- Dialogue Recording: Jeeva
- Production Executive: V. Mohan Rao
- Production Manager: A. Pandu
- Production Controller: V. Sai Prasad
- Associate Producer: Adusumilli Suneel Kumar
- Operative Cameraman: Sarath
- Assistant Directors: P. Sivakumar Reddy & Y. Rama Rao
- Associate Director: Kethineni Ajay
- Stunts: Raju
- Sound Editor: A. Subramaniam
- Dances: Saleem, Tara & Siva-Subramaniam
- Art Director: Bhaskar Raju
- Co-director: N. B. Chakravarthy
- Editor: Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao
- Music: Ilaiyaraaja
- Cinematography: Lok Singh
- Producer: K.S. Rama Rao
- Director: A. Kodandarami Reddy
- Production Company: Creative Commercials
- Paper & Banner Publicity: Lakshmi Publicities
- Poster Printing: National Litho Printers
- Radio Publicity: Creative Commercials
- Processing & Printing: Prasad Color Labs
- Recording & Re-recording: Prasad Studios
- Sound Mixing: Prasad Stereophonics
- Dialogue Recording: A.P.R. Theater
- Recording: AVM Studios
- Outdoor Unit: Radhika Enterprises
- Distribution Companies: Lakshmi Films
All songs were composed by Maestro Ilaiyaraaja.
|1.||""Navvindi Malle Chendu...""||Veturi||S.P. Balasubrahmanyam & S. Janaki||4:17|
|2.||""Urakalai Godavari...""||Acharya Atreya||S.P. Balasubrahmanyam & S. Janaki||4:43|
|3.||""Sande Poddula Kada...""||Veturi||S.P. Balasubrahmanyam & S. Janaki||4:28|
|4.||""Banthee... Chamanthi""||Veturi||S.P. Balasubrahmanyam & S. Janaki||4:40|
|5.||""Vela Pala Ledu...""||Acharya Atreya||S.P. Balasubrahmanyam & S. Janaki||4:39|
After the super success of his horror novels in late 1970's Yandamuri Veerendranath came up with the novel Abhilasha, based on original idea from O.S.R. Murthy. Being a fan of Yandamoori's novels, K.S. Rama Rao wanted to make his first movie based on this novel. K. S. Rama Rao until than had been dubbing Tamil movies into Telugu and also distributing movies and was involved in publicity for movies as well. He brought together the combination of actor Chiranjeevi, writer Yandamuri Veerendranath, composer Ilaiyaraaja and director A. Kodandarami Reddy together for the first time with this movie. This combination later went on to make many successful movies in the 1980s.
The movie was a critical and commercial success and became a blockbuster, which gave a boost to the careers of all involved with the movie. Ilaiyaraaja's songs became immensely popular and are still played regularly even after 3 decades. The movie was praised for sticking with the basic plot line of the novel which had a very unique story and had already become a huge success.