Abhimanyu (1948 film)
|Directed by||M. Somasundaram|
|Produced by||Jupiter Pictures|
|Written by||A. S. A. Sami|
|Starring||M. G. Ramachandran|
S. M. Kumaresan
M. R. Santhanalakshmi
M. G. Chakrapani
M. N. Nambiar
|Music by||C. R. Subburaman|
S. M. Subbaiah Naidu
|Cinematography||W. R. Subbarao|
|Edited by||A. Kasilingam|
|6 May 1948|
|180 min. (16,325 Feet)|
Abhimanyu is a 1948 Tamil film produced by Jupiter Pictures and starring M. G. Ramachandran (MGR) in a supporting role. It was based on the Mahabharatha story of Abhimanyu. The screenplay was written by A. S. A. Sami and M. Karunanidhi. This was the second film for Karunanidhi as scriptwriter. The film also starred M. N. Nambiar in a supporting role.
Jupiter Pictures, a production company promoted by M. Somasundaram and S. K. Mohideen shifted to Madras from Coimbatore in 1948 after acquiring Neptune Studios. In 1948 they produced Abhimanyu, a mythological tale from the epic Mahabharatha at Madras. During the 1930s and the 40s Tamil films were mostly based on when mythologicals, folktales, folk myths and socially themed films were rare. Somasundaram himself directed the film along with A. Kasilingam. The script was written by A. S. A Sami and M. Karunanidhi. This was the second film for Karunanidhi as script writer after Rajakumaari (1947). M. G. Ramachandran and M. N. Nambiar played supporting roles in the film. The film's music was composed by S. M. Subbaiah and C. R. Subbaraman. S. S. Rajendran was cast in the title role, but was relieved after only two weeks of shooting from the film as T. K. Muthusamy of the TKS Brothers drama troupe revealed that Rajendran was still under contract with them, and threatened legal action if the film continued production. Thus the role went to newcomer S. M. Kumaresan.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2014)
Cast and crew
- M. G. Ramachandran - Arjuna
- S. M. Kumaresan — Abhimanyu
- M. R. Santhanalakshmi - Subhadra
- M. G. Chakrapani - Balarama
- P. V. Narasimha Bharathi - Krishna
- Bharathan Srinivasan — Kamsa
- M. N. Nambiar
- U. R. Jeevarathinam - Vatsala
- Pulimoottai Ramasamy — Katodhgaja
- C. T. Rajakantham
- D. Balasubramaniam - Duryodhana
- S. V. Subbaiah — Sakuni
- M. R. Santhanam — Indra
- M. S. S. Bhagyam
- M. Somasundaram — Director
- A. Kasilingam — Director, Editor
- S. M. Subbaiah Naidu - C. R. Subburaman .... Music
- W. R. Subbarao — Cinematographer
- P. P. Choudhry-M. P. Kuttiyappu — Art Directors
- Papanasam Sivan - Lyrics
- Bhoomi Palakadas — Lyrics
- Sundaravathiyar — Lyrics
- Vedantam Raghavaiah - Choreographer
Release and reception
The film was released on 6 May 1948.
Partial list of songs in the film:
maamohana — U R Jeevarathnam
Oh ayyamare ammamare vaanga — Trichy Loganathan, U R Jeevarathnam & chorus
Paarinil Piranthathu — M M Mariappa
- Guy, Randor (2 October 2009). "Blast from the Past — Abhimanyu 1948". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 30 May 2017. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- Film News Anandan (2004). Sadhanaigal padaitha Tamil Thiraipada Varalaaru (in Tamil). Chennai: Sivagami Publications. pp. 28:43.
- Rajadhyaksha, Ashish; Willemen, Paul (1994). Encyclopaedia of Indian cinema. British Film Institute. p. 190. ISBN 0-85170-455-7, ISBN 978-0-85170-455-5.
- Pandian, M. S. S (1992). The image trap: M.G. Ramachandran in film and politics. Sage. p. 148. ISBN 0-8039-9403-6, ISBN 978-0-8039-9403-4.
- Manthiri Kumari - A Grand Success (in Tamil), Maalai Malar 27 October 2009 Archived 21 March 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- Guy, Randor (28 February 2002). "Fascinating journey to fame". The Hindu. Retrieved 2009-12-31.