September 26, 1985|
|Genres||Indian classical music|
Hailing from a family of legendary musicians, as the grandson of the late mridangam legend, Palghat Raghu and with the Lalgudi family name on the mother’s side, music is in Abhishek’s blood.
Abhishek started learning the mridangam from his grandfather and then moved on to vocal training under Vidwan P. S. Narayanaswamy. In 1999, he gave his first international concert tour in the U.S with his grandfather, Palghat Raghu. Today, Abhishek is one of the most heard Carnatic vocalists in India and abroad. He has performed with several eminent musicians like T. K. Murthy, Umayalpuram Sivaraman, Karaikudi Mani, Trichy Sankaran, G. Harishankar, Thiruvarur Bakthavathsalam, Ganesh Kumaresh, Mysore Nagaraj and Manjunath, Jayateerth Mewundi and Sanjeev Abhyankar.
In the year 2014, Abhishek directed the Children's Carnatic choir organized by Bhoomija trust as a fund-raiser for Drishti Eye Care, Bangalore.
In the same year Abhishek was presented by Ustad Zakir Hussain in the “Barsi” festival dedicated to his father Ustad Alla Rakha.
Recently Abhishek was involved in the making of the album “Kaadalan Bharathi”, an album comprising exclusively Subramanya Bharati's songs and also gave a Mridangam recital along with Anantha R Krishnan for the 70th birthday celebrations of Mridangam Vidwan Karaikudi Mani.
Abhishek is an “A” grade artiste of All India Radio since 2012.
- Best concert in the SPIRIT OF YOUTH concert series conducted by Music Academy in 1997.
- MOST INSPIRING YOUTH ARTISTE Best Junior vocalist – The Music Academy, Madras in Dec 1999
- “ASTHANA VIDWAN” title from the Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam in October 2006
- “Yagnaraman Youth Excellence Award” by Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Chennai in July 2009
- “Shanmukha Sangeetha Shironmani Award” by Shanmukhananda Sangeetha Sabha, Mumbai in December 2009
- Sangeet Natak Akademi’s Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva Puraskar 2013
- “Yogam Nagaswami Award” for Best Senior Vocalist – The Music Academy, Madras during the December Season 2013-14