Abid Qaiyum Suleri
|Abid Qaiyum Suleri عابد قيوم سليرى(Urdu)|
9 September 1969 |
|Fields||Food Security; Climate Change; Sustainable Development Goals; Non Traditional Security Issues; International Trade; South Asian Economic Integration|
|Institutions||Executive Director, Sustainable Development Policy Institute|
|Alma mater||University of Agriculture, Faisalabad
Natural Resources Institute, University of Greenwich
Abid Qaiyum Suleri (born 9 September 1969) is a Pakistani social policy analyst and development practitioner. He has been the Executive Director of the Sustainable Development Policy Institute since 2007. Suleri gives policy advice and serves on various policy forums/advisory boards at national, regional, and international levels. Currently he is a member of the Economic Advisory Council of Government of Pakistan; member of the National Advisory Committee of Planning Commission of Pakistan; and of Finance Minister's Task Force on Effectiveness of Social Safety Nets. He is an Adjunct Professor at the Institute of Business Management Sciences, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad , and serves on Board of Studies of various universities. He is also a member of Climate Change Commission; a judicial commission constituted by Lahore High Court for effective implementation of Pakistan's National Climate Change Policy 2012.
He has also served as Member of Board of Management of Pakistan State Oil (PSO), and chaired Board Audit and Finance Committee of PSO from 2010-2012; on National Advisory Committee of USAID funded Pakistan Strategic Support Program; and on Islamabad Environment Commission, a commission constituted by Islamabad High Court to prevent further destruction and degradation of the environment of Islamabad.
Prior to joining SDPI, he was the Head of Programs, OXFAM GB, Pakistan. He has conducted research on issues like resilient livelihoods, food insecurity, regional trade, and political economy of development. His other research interests include climate change, institutional reforms, non-traditional security issues, and energy governance.
In March 2010, he was appointed as a member of the Board of Management of Pakistan's largest oil distribution company, Pakistan States Oil. He served as Chairman of PSO BOM's Finance and Audit Committee.
Food Insecurity in Pakistan
Suleri earned his PhD in Food Security from the Natural Resources Institute (NRI), University of Greenwich, United Kingdom. He is the lead author of Food Insecurity in Pakistan 2009, a report prepared by SDPI in collaboration with Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation and World Food Program. In 2004, he led SDPI's team which, in collaboration with the [World Food Program], ranked the 120 districts of Pakistan on the basis of their food insecurity. In 2009, he was a keynote speaker at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, D.C.
World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Suleri, A.Q., and Paracha, M.A, 2007: "Pakistan and the WTO" in South Asia in WTO. (eds: Kalegama, S.), Sage Publications, India.
- Suleri, A.Q., and Kumar. P., 2006: "WTO and South Asia" in WTO and South Asia (eds. Alam, I.), SAPANA Publishers, Pakistan.
- Suleri, A.Q., 2004: "Losing out in UNCTAD" in Southern Agenda from UNCTAD XI, Centre for International Trade, Economics & Environment, India.
- Suleri, A.Q., 2004: "Alamghiriat (Globalization), WTO aur Pakistan" (Urdu), Oxfam and WTO Watch Group, Pakistan.
- Suleri, A.Q., & Shah, Q., 2003: "The Agreement on Agriculture (AOA): Impact on Food Security of People Living in HKH Region" in Mountains of Pakistan: Protection, Potential and Prospects (Eds: Mufti et al.)
- Suleri, A.Q. 2003: "Altering the Course of Global Trade: WTO – the need for a proactive Southern Agenda" in Sustainable Development and Southern Realities (Past and Future in South Asia), City Press Pakistan.
- Suleri, A.Q., 2003: "Impact of WTO Agreements on People living in HKH region of Pakistan", SAWTEE, Nepal.
- Suleri, A.Q., 2003: "WTO regime and Pakistan", FES and PILDAT, Pakistan.
Natural Resources Management
- Shahbaz, B., and Suleri, A.Q., 2009: "The political Economy of Forest management in Pakistan", in Exploiting Natural Resources: Growth, Instability, and Conflict in the Middle East and Asia (eds: Cornin, R. and Pandya, A.), Stimsons, Washington.
- Suleri, A.Q., Shahbaz, B., Geiser, U., 2008: "Forest Related Interventions and the Stakeholders of Forests in the North West frontier of Pakistan", in Sustainable Solutions: A Spotlight on South Asian Research, SDPI-SAMA Publishers, Pakistan.
- Suleri, A.Q. 2003: "The State of Forests in Pakistan through a Pressure-State-Response Framework", in Sustainable Development and Southern Realities (past and future in South Asia), City Press Pakistan.
- Suleri, A.Q., 2002: "Forest Policies for Sustainable Development and Poverty Alleviation in Pakistan: Issues and Options: A Case Study of NWFP", South Asia Watch on Trade, Economics, and Environment, Nepal.
- Suleri, A.Q., 2009: Food Crisis in Developing Countries: Thew Role of National Governance. Pardee Center, Bostan University.
- "Food For Survival", 1 August 2010
- "Hunger Pains", 28 February 2010
- "Federal Budget: Wrong Framework", 15 July 2007
- "Pakistan's Budget: Survey with mixed findings", 17 June 2007
- "SAARC: A Failure Story", 22 April 2007
- "A Framework of Barriers", 11 March 2007
- "A New voice for a New Region", 28 January 2007
- "Pakistan & India: Freedom for Past", 14 January 2007
- "The trickle that never becomes a steady flow", 24 December 2006
- "Money does the Talking"
- "Sustainable Development Policy Institute". SDPI. 2014-07-25. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- "Govt reactivates Economic Advisory Council - Newspaper". Dawn.Com. 2014-01-12. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- "Advisory committee for PC constituted - Newspaper". Dawn.Com. 2013-10-12. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- "Government forms task force for social safety-net programmes".
- "University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan -> Institute of Business Management Sciences". uaf.edu.pk. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- Reporter, The Newspaper's Staff (2015-09-17). "LHC forms 'Climate Change Commission'". dawn.com. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "Welcome to Pakistan State Oil". Psopk.com. 2010-03-06. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- "Sustainable Development Policy Institute". SDPI. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- "Islamabad High Court Judgements" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- "dr.abid.qaiyum.suleri, Author at The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "Dr Abid Qaiyum Suleri Archives - TNS - The News on Sunday". TNS - The News on Sunday. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "SULERI Abid Qaiyum - Europe Solidaire Sans Frontières". europe-solidaire.org. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- "abid qaiyum suleri videos - Google Search". google.com. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "abid suleri - YouTube". youtube.com. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "abid suleri videos on Dailymotion". Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "SDPI". sdpi.org. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "PSO - Management Team". Psopk.com. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- "Pakistan State Oil" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- Food Insecurity in Rural Pakistan 2003
- http://www.wilsoncenter.org/topics/pubs/ASIA_100412_PakistFood_rptL0713FINALVERSION.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "Publications". nccr-north-south.unibe.ch. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- "The political Economy of Forest management in Pakistan - Google Search".
- "Issues in Brief, No. 7, May 2009 » Pardee Center for the Study of the Longer-Range Future | Boston University". bu.edu. Retrieved 2016-03-20.