Abigail Johnson at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center on April 24, 2012
|Born||Abigail Pierrepont Johnson
December 19, 1961 (age 53)
|Education||William Smith College
Harvard Business School
|Occupation||CEO and President, Fidelity Investments
Chairman, Fidelity Worldwide Investment
|Net worth||US$13.2 billion (June 2015)|
|Spouse(s)||Christopher J. McKown (m. 1988)|
|Relatives||Edward C. Johnson II (grandfather), Edward C. Johnson III (father), Edward C. Johnson IV (brother), Elizabeth Johnson (sister)|
Abigail Pierrepont "Abby" Johnson (born December 19, 1961) is an American businesswoman. Since 2014, Johnson is President and Chief Executive Officer of US investment firm Fidelity Investments (FMR), and chairman of its international sister company Fidelity Worldwide Investment (FIL).
Fidelity was founded by her grandfather Edward C. Johnson II. Her father Edward C. "Ned" Johnson III remains Chairman of FMR. As of March 2013, the Johnson family owned a 49% stake in the company.
Education and career
Johnson graduated from Hobart and William Smith with a bachelor of arts degree in art history in 1984. After brief stint as a consultant at Booz Allen Hamilton from 1985–86, Johnson completed an MBA at Harvard Business School and joined Fidelity as an analyst and portfolio manager in 1988. She was promoted to an executive role in Fidelity Management and Research (FMR) in 1997 and has since held various senior executive posts inside FMR, Fidelity Institutional Retirement Services and Fidelity Investments. She was named president in August 2012.
In October 2014, Johnson was named to the additional post of chief executive of Fidelity Investments.
Awards, honors, and society memberships
Johnson currently serves as a member of the Committee on Capital Markets Regulation. She is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA). She is the first and only woman to serve on the board of the Financial Services Forum.
In 2015, she was ranked as the 19th most powerful woman in the world by Forbes. In 2014 she was ranked at #34, in 2013 at #60.
- "The World's Billionaires (2010): #48 Abigail Johnson". Forbes. March 3, 2010. Retrieved February 24, 2011.
- Abigail Johnson Forbes
- "Abby Johnson Has Wedding". The New York Times. June 26, 1988. Retrieved February 24, 2011.
- "Fidelity: Here Comes Abby". BusinessWeek. July 8, 2002. Retrieved February 24, 2011.
- Lau, Debra (May 21, 2001). "Fidelity Promotes Abigail Johnson To President". Forbes. Retrieved February 24, 2011.
- O'Donnell, Carl (13 October 2014). "Abigail Johnson Replaces Father Edward As CEO Of Fidelity". Forbes. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "The World's 100 Most Powerful Women". Forbes. Forbes. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "William Smith Leaders: Abigail P. Johnson ’84". William Smith College. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Grind, Kirsten (13 October 2014). "Abigail Johnson Named CEO of Fidelity Investments". The Brick Street Journal. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- Healy, Beth (5 December 2014). "Abigail Johnson, after years of training, gets to put her stamp on Fidelity". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 5 December 2014.