Abita Springs, Louisiana
|Abita Springs, Louisiana|
The pavilion building was originally constructed for the World Cotton Centennial 1884 Worlds Fair in New Orleans
|Motto: "Where Nature Performs Miracles"|
|Area||4.5 sq mi (11.7 km2)|
|- land||4.5 sq mi (12 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||525.6 / sq mi (202.9 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Website: Town of Abita Springs, Louisiana|
Abita Springs was originally a Choctaw Indian village, taking its name from nearby medicinal springs. The Choctaw burial and execution grounds, which were in use up until around 1880, are located nearby.
Abita Springs is located at (30.476233, -90.035138).
As of the census of 2000, there are 1,957 people, 757 households, and 550 families residing in the town. The population density is 474.3 people per square mile (183.0/km²). There are 813 housing units at an average density of 197.1 per square mile (76.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town is 95.30% White, 3.01% African American, 0.31% Native American, 0.36% Asian, 0.31% from other races, and 0.72% from two or more races. 1.79% of the population are Hispanic, or Latino of any race.
There are 757 households out of which 37.5% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.0% are married couples living together, 12.2% have a female householder with no husband present, and 27.3% are non-families. 22.3% of all households are made up of individuals and 8.9% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.59 and the average family size is 3.07.
In the town the population is spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 32.0% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 10.6% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 35 years. For every 100 females there are 86.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 85.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town is $39,923, and the median income for a family is $45,208. Males have a median income of $36,250 versus $27,368 for females. The per capita income for the town is $16,998. 6.7% of the population and 4.7% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 4.4% of those under the age of 18 and 11.6% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
The Abita Brewing Company was established in 1986 as a microbrewery, and in 1994, they added a brew pub and restaurant. Abita's beer is brewed with the pure water of the artesian wells in Abita Springs.
The UCM Museum (pronounced "you see 'em", and also known as the "Abita Mystery House") is an Abita Springs tourist attraction. The museum features an eclectic collection of antiques (particularly electronics and arcade games) and dozens of examples of proprietor John Preble's folk art, which ranges from the whimsical to the macabre.
The Abita Springs Opry is "a non-profit organization dedicated to the presentation and preservation of Louisiana roots music". "The Opry" presents 6 concerts per year of roots music by performers from throughout the United States. The concerts are presented in the auditorium of the Abita Springs Town Hall. The concerts are broadcast on a number of radio stations and on the Southeastern Channel and public-access television cable TV channels throughout the USA.
St. Tammany Parish Public Schools operates local public schools:
- K-3: Abita Springs Elementary School (Abita Springs)
- 4-6: Abita Springs Middle School (Abita Springs)
- 7-8: Fontainebleau Junior High School (unincorporated St. Tammany Parish)
- 9-12: Fontainebleau High School (unincorporated St. Tammany Parish)
- Dick Hart, professional golfer.
- "Town of Abita Springs, Louisiana". Town of Abita Springs, Louisiana. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Abita Springs town, Louisiana". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 17, 2012.
- Louisiana Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism. "Abita Springs Historical Marker".
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Abita Springs town, Louisiana". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 17, 2012.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- Roadside America: Abita Mystery House
- See also Southeastern Louisiana University program listing.
- Abita Springs Elementary Boundary. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools
- Abita Springs Middle Boundary. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools
- Fountainebleau Junior High Boundary. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools.
- Fontainebleau High School Boundary. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Abita Springs.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Abita Springs, Louisiana.|