Abkhazia–South Ossetia relations
Abkhazia–South Ossetia relations are bilateral foreign relations between the Republic of Abkhazia and the Republic of South Ossetia, whose international status is disputed - they are both considered part of Georgia by the majority of the world's states.
Abkhazia and South Ossetia recognized each other's independence and formally established diplomatic relations on 17 November 2006.
On 19 September 2005, a day before the 15th anniversary of South Ossetia's independence, President Sergei Bagapsh of Abkhazia and President Eduard Kokoity of South Ossetia signed a treaty of friendship and cooperation in Tskhinvali. The treaty was ratified by South Ossetia's Parliament on 27 December and by Abkhazia's Parliament on 15 February 2006. On 20 September, Kokoity awarded Bagapsh with the Medal of Honour.
In recent years, the governments of Abkhazia and South Ossetia have been working closely together in search of more international recognition. The leaders of Abkhazia and South Ossetia have also signed a mutual defense pact, stating that in case either country is attacked, the other must become involved in the other's defense. During the 2008 South Ossetia war, Abkhazian soldiers and volunteers backed by Russian paratroopers drove Georgian troops from their last stronghold in Abkhazia's Kodori Valley while Russian and South Ossetian forces were engaged in heavy combat with Georgian forces.
On 18 August 2015, Abkhazia and South Ossetia signed an agreement on visa-free travel during a visit by Abkhazia's Foreign Minister Viacheslav Chirikba to Tskhinvali. Both states are members of the Community for Democracy and Rights of Nations.
On 26 September 2007, South Ossetia's first ambassador to Abkhazia Robert Kokoity presented his credentials to Abkhazia's President Sergei Bagapsh. On 15 April 2008 South Ossetia's chancery in Abkhazia's capital Sukhumi was formally opened. On 10 December December 2010, President Kokoity accepted the credentials of Nodar Pliev, the ambassador of Abkhazia to South Ossetia. After succeeding Eduard Kokoity as President of South Ossetia, Leonid Tibilov dismissed Robert Kokoity as Ambassador on 25 July 2012. On 15 April 2013, Oleg Botsiev was appointed as his successor. On 19 August, Botsiev presented his credentials to Abkhazian Foreign Minister Viacheslav Chirikba, and on 20 August, to President Alexander Ankvab.
On 27 January 2014, President Ankvab recalled Nodar Pliev as ambassador to South Ossetia and appointed Alan Elbakiev as his successor. Elbakiev received his credentials on 7 February and presented them to President Leonid Tibilov of South Ossetia on 28 February.
- Bestayeva, Elina (19 September 2005). "Президенты Южной Осетии и Абхазии подписали Договор о дружбе и сотрудничестве". Caucasian Knot. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Kochiyeva, Inga (27 December 2005). "Парламент Южной Осетии ратифицировал договор о дружбе с Абхазией". Caucasian Knot. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Kuchuberia, Anzhela (15 February 2006). "Парламент Абхазии ратифицировал Договор о мире и сотрудничестве между Абхазией и Южной Осетией". Caucasian Knot. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Президент Южной Осетии наградил президента Абхазии Орденом почета". Caucasian Knot. 20 September 2005. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Russia Today- Abkhazia starts war with Georgia
- "Подписано Соглашение между Абхазией и Южной Осетией о взаимных безвизовых поездках граждан". Apsnypress. 18 August 2015. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- Kuchuberia, Anzhela (26 September 2007). "Багапш отметил сплочение Абхазии с Южной Осетией". Caucasian Knot. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- "South Ossetia opens embassy in Abkhazia". RIA Novosti. 2008-04-15. Retrieved 2009-09-13.
- "EDUARD KOKOITY ACCEPTED ABKHAZ AMBASSADOR TO S. OSSETIA NODAR PLIEV'S CREDENTIALS". Administration of the President of Abkhazia. 10 December 2010. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Президент Южной Осетии освободил от занимаемой должности посла Южной Осетии в Абхазии". Information Agency Res. 27 July 2012. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Послом Южной Осетии в Абхазии назначен Олег Боциев". Apsnypress. 16 April 2013. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "Посол Республики Южная Осетия в Республике Абхазия Олег Боциев вручил копии верительных грамот Министру иностранных дел Республики Абхазия Вячеславу Чирикба". Ministry for Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Abkhazia. 19 August 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Посол Южной Осетии Олег Боциев вручил президенту Абхазии верительные грамоты". Apsnypress. 20 August 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- Ankvab, Alexander (27 January 2014). "Указ О Плиеве Н.А.". Official site of the President of Abkhazia. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- Ankvab, Alexander (27 January 2014). "Указ Об Елбакиеве А. М.". Official site of the President of Abkhazia. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- "Послу Абхазии в Южной Осетии Алану Елбакиеву передали верительные грамоты". Apsnypress. 7 February 2014. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Новый посол Абхазии вручил президенту Южной Осетии верительные грамоты". Apsnypress. 28 February 2014. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Разрабатывается договорно-правовая база между Абхазией и Южной Осетией в различных областях двусторонних отношений". Apsnypress. 25 August 2015. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
|This South Ossetia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to the politics of Abkhazia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|