Abnormal Family: Older Brother's Bride
|Abnormal Family: Older Brother's Bride|
|Directed by||Masayuki Suo|
|Screenplay by||Masayuki Suo|
|Edited by||Junichi Kikuchi|
|Distributed by||Shintōhō Eiga|
The plot revolves around the complications brought to a middle-class family when older brother Kōichi brings home his new sexually voracious bride Yuriko. Younger brother Kazuo looks to the new arrival as a source of sexual release while sister Akiko surreptitiously works in a soapland and Father lusts after a bar proprietess.
- Kaoru Kaze (風かおる) as Yuriko Mamiya
- Miki Yamaji (山地美貴) as Akiko Mamiya
- Usagi Asō (麻生うさぎ) as the Bar Madam
- Ren Osugi as Shukichi Mamiya (the Father)
- Kei Shutō (首藤啓) as Kazuo Mamiya
- Shirō Shimomoto as Kōichi Mamiya
Although he had written screenplays for other pink films and was an assistant director (and a bit player) in Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Kandagawa Pervert Wars, this film marks the directorial debut of Masayuki Suo who would later achieve international fame for his film Shall We Dance?. Abnormal Family: Older Brother's Bride has been discussed by movie critics as an homage to or parody of the family dramas of early Japanese director Yasujirō Ozu. Jasper Sharp says it wittily puts together the plots of a number of Ozu's best known works within the framework of a pink film. Suo also uses the trademark camera angles, visual effects and stylized movements from Ozu's films in contrast with the sexual antics of this genre.
The film was released theatrically in Japan in June 1984 and published as a DVD in Japan on June 28, 2002 by Uplink (アップリンク). It had earlier (May 2000) been released in Video CD format with Chinese and English subtitles by Asia Video Publishing Company.
- 変態家族 兄貴の嫁さん (1984) (in Japanese). Allcinema.net. Retrieved 2011-08-15.
- 変態家族兄貴の嫁さん (in Japanese). JMDB. Retrieved 2011-10-05. External link in
- Weisser, Thomas; Yuko Mihara Weisser (1998). Japanese Cinema Encyclopedia: The Sex Films. Miami: Vital Books : Asian Cult Cinema Publications. pp. 308–309. ISBN 1-889288-52-7.
- Sharp, Jasper (2008). Behind the Pink Curtain: The Complete History of Japanese Sex Cinema. Guildford: FAB Press. p. 239. ISBN 978-1-903254-54-7.
- "変態家族 兄貴の嫁さん (DVD)" (in Japanese). www.amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2011-10-05. External link in
- "Hentai Kazoku (The Abnormal Family)". www.buyoyo.com. Retrieved 2011-10-05. External link in