The Abode of Chaos (French: Demeure du Chaos) is a contemporary art museum located in Saint-Romain-au-Mont-d'Or, a small town in the vicinity of Lyon, France, with over 2,500 works from many different artists, including the owner Thierry Ehrmann. Ehrmann is the founder and CEO of Groupe Serveur and Artprice.com, both of which are headquartered at the Abode.
The artwork is based around the transformation of the 17th century post house into a replica (post-)war zone, which contrasts with the peaceful village a few kilometers up the Saône river from Lyon. The mayor of the town said of the house: "It's humanly intolerable, ugly, dramatic, with its images of destruction. Whatever you think, for me it's not art, it's a provocation."
The Abode of Chaos has been the subject of several lawsuits, and – in 2009 – France's highest court, the Court of Cassation, ruled that Ehrmann would have to revert his home to its pre-Abode of Chaos state. In 2013, the Grenoble Court of Appeals imposed a fine for continued non-compliance of €750 per day. The Court of Cassation intervened in the case again in 2014 by reversing the lower court's decision, ruling that Erhmann should have been assisted by counsel or his wife at the 2013 hearing because of his manic-depressive condition. In 2016, Ehrmann claimed "absolute victory" on his blog because of the passage of the law on freedom of creation, architecture and patrimony.
- "The neighbor from Hell". e-flux. October 27, 2005. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007.
- "Man fined for damaging his home for art". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. September 14, 2006. Archived from the original on September 14, 2006.
- Viart, Frank (30 June 2015). "Groupe Serveur : Thierry Ehrmann va prendre du recul". Le Progrès (in French). Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- Thierry Erhmann (24 June 2014). "Communiqué de presse de thierry Ehrmann fondateur et PDG d'Artprice sculpteur plasticien, auteur de La Demeure du Chaos - Abode of Chaos. AFFAIRE COMMUNE DE SAINT ROMAIN AU MONT D'OR CONTRE THIERRY EHRMANN (dossier Demeure du Chaos)". capital.fr (in French).
- Ehrmann, Thierry. "Groupe Serveur". Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- Tagliabue, John (July 19, 2006). "It's His House. But Village Traditionalists ask: is it Art?". The New York Times.
- Hickman, Matt (March 25, 2013). "'Abode of Chaos' sparks legal battle, vexes neighbors in French village". Mother Nature Network.
- figaro.fr / AFP (6 May 2013). "Demeure du Chaos: astreinte en hausse". Le Figaro (in French). Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- AFP (24 June 2014). "Astreinte pour la "Demeure du Chaos": la Cour de Cassation casse la décision". Le Parisien (in French). Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- Thierry Ehrmann. "THIERRY EHRMANN : VICTOIRE ABSOLUE SUR LE PLAN LÉGISLATIF : LA CRÉATION ARTISTIQUE EST LIBRE PAR LA LOI DU 7 Juillet 2016". Thierry Ehrmann, blog. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
(also published on capital.fr, artprice, serveur.com, etc. as a press release
- "LOI n° 2016-925 du 7 juillet 2016 relative à la liberté de la création, à l'architecture et au patrimoine (1)". JORF (Journal officiel de la République française) (158). 8 July 2016. Retrieved 30 November 2016.