|Single by Ice Prince|
|from the album Fire of Zamani|
|Released||August 28, 2012|
|Ice Prince singles chronology|
"Aboki" (Hausa: "Friend") is a song by Nigerian hip hop recording artist Ice Prince. It was released on August 28, 2012, serving as the lead single from his second studio album, Fire of Zamani (2013). The song was produced by Chopstix and released along with "More". It peaked at number 92 on Afribiz's Top 100 chart.
According to Nigerian Sounds, "Aboki" translates to friend in Hausa; the song celebrates some of the most successful people from Northern Nigeria. Commenting on the single, Ice Prince said, "I’m absolutely excited about my new project; I feel it shows my fans a different side to me. My whole approach to the music, the delivery, my thought process is different from how it was last year."
The music video for "Aboki" was released onto YouTube on October 1, 2012, at a total length of 3 minutes and 42 seconds. It was directed by Phil Lee in Los Angeles. During the video shoot, Ice Prince was interviewed by one of his associates. Prior to releasing the music video, he uploaded a behind the scenes video of the interview onto YouTube. In the video, Ice Prince talked about the meaning of Aboki and the overall message of his music.
"Aboki" was nominated for Most Gifted African West Video and Most Gifted Video of the Year at the 10th Annual Channel O Music Video Awards, which took place at the Walter Sisulu Square, in Kliptown, Soweto on November 30, 2013. Moreover, the music video was nominated for Best African Act Video at the 5th edition of the 4Syte TV Music Video Awards, held at the Accra International Conference Centre on November 16, 2013.
|Year||Awards ceremony||Award description(s)||Results|
|2013||Channel O Music Video Awards||"Most Gifted African West Video"||Nominated|
|"Most Gifted Video of the Year"||Nominated|
|4Syte TV Music Video Awards||"Best African Act Video"||Nominated|
Ice Prince performed the song at the 2012 edition of the Koko Concert. He also performed the song at the finale of Big Brother Africa 8 on August 25, 2013. Moreover, he performed the song at the 2013 Star Trek concert in Nigeria. Furthermore, he performed the song during his tour of North America,  and visit to Zambia on Easter Weekend in 2013.
- Digital single
|Single by Ice Prince featuring Sarkodie, Mercy Johnson, Wizkid, M.I, and Khuli Chana|
|Released||January 25, 2013|
|Ice Prince singles chronology|
|Wizkid singles chronology|
On January 25, 2013, Chocolate City released the alternative version of "Aboki". It features Sarkodie, Mercy Johnson, Wizkid, M.I, and Khuli Chana. The song was originally intended to be included on Ice Prince's second studio album Fire of Zamani (2013), but was ultimately removed from the final track-listing due to reasons that haven't been made public.
In an interview with Toolz on NdaniTV's The Juice, Ice Prince described the song as the "biggest African collision ever". When asked about his decision to feature Mercy Johnson, he said, "When Sarkodie sent me the verse, he had a line that said 'Mercy Johnson, will you be my Wifey?' He wanted me to say 'Oh no Charly, she's married' and then he says 'okay, I see' and then continues his rap. For me to do it wouldn't have made sense, you know what I mean. I hit up Mercy Johnson...She sent me a voice note and I put it there." Ice Prince also said he had plans to shoot the music video for the remix. However, the music video was never shot.
Ice Prince took to Twitter to announce that he would be featuring Mercy Johnson along with the aforementioned recording artists. Charles Mgbolu of Vanguard said that "Fans were anxious to listen to this remix not because of any doubt in the talent of Ice Prince to put together a solid collaboration; rather expectations peaked because Mercy Johnson was in the picture."
Upon its release, the song was met with mixed reviews from music critics. Super Q of 360 Nobs said, "Ice Prince comes alive with the power house remix to the northern flavoured song – Aboki he released last year. He brings together Sarkodie, Mercy Johnson, Wizkid, MI & Khuli Chana to spice the already hawt song up!" Charles Mgbolu of Vanguard also said, "No doubt, many have hailed this song; calling it a powerful collaboration of the masters of minds. Wizkid, Sakodie, MI, Khuli Chana and of course Ice Prince spat fast paced words that would leave anyone trying to catch up mentally dizzy. It’s a hot baked collaboration that further deepened Aboki‘s intensity and overall quality."
On the contrary, those who opposed the song felt Mercy Johnson's involvement in the song was unnecessary; they also thought she was being used as a mere stunt to add publicity to the song.
- Digital single
|1.||"Aboki Remix" (featuring Sarkodie, Mercy Johnson, Wizkid, M.I, and Khuli Chana)||Panshak Zamani, Michael Owusu Addo, Ayodeji Balogun, Jude Abaga, and Khuli Chana||Chopstix||4:21|
- "New Music: Ice Prince – Aboki | More (Full Version)". Bellanaija. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Afribiz - Top 100". Afribiz. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Audio:-Ice Prince - Aboki+ More". Nigeriansounds. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "New Video: Ice Prince – Aboki". Bellanaija. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "ABOKI - ICE PRINCE INTERVIEW ON SET OF ABOKI VIDEO SHOO". YouTube. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Channel O Music Video Awards 2013: Full List Of Winners". 360nobs. 30 November 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "VIDEO: Channel O Africa Music Video Awards 2013 | Nominees List". Notjustok. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Channel O Africa Music Video Awards 2013 nominees announced". Bizcommunity. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "2013 4syte TV Music Video Awards launched". Citifm Online. 6 October 2013. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- "D'banj, Idris Elba, Tinie Tempah, Naeto C, Big Sean, Seyi Shay, Pusha T, Iyanya, Ice Prince, Kay Switch & More! Exclusive Photos from the 2012 Koko Concert". Bellanaija. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "BBA The Chase Finale: From Performances to Evictions – Watch Video Highlights + Dillish's Interview on her Prize $$$ Money". Bellanaija. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "More Kick Off Star Trek 2013 In FESTAC". InformationNigeria. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "T O U R D A T E S". Royalty Lifestyle Group. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "VIDEO: Ice Prince LIVE In Zambia". Notjustok. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Listen to Ice Prince's MEGA Remix for "Aboki" featuring Sarkodie, Wizkid, M.I, Khuli Chana & Mercy Johnson". Bellanaija. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Ice Prince – Aboki (Remix) ft. Sakordie, Mercy Johnson, WizKid, M.I & Khuli Chana". Notjustok. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "The Juice - Ice Prince". YouTube. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Mercy Johnson in Aboki remix hype by Ice Prince… thrill or disappointing?". Vanguard Nigeria. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Nigeria: Mercy Johnson Features in Ice Prince 'Aboki' Remix". AllAfrica. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Aboki Remix From Ice Prince featuring Mercy Johnson???". PulseNigeria. Archived from the original on 26 October 2013. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Get Familiar: Ice Prince – Aboki Remix (Prod. by Chopstix) ft Sarkodie, Mercy Johnson, Wizkid, MI & Khuli Chana". 360nobs. Retrieved 23 October 2013.