Aboriginal Shire of Kowanyama
|Aboriginal Shire of Kowanyama|
Location within Queensland
|Population||944 (2016 census)|
|• Density||0.37389/km2 (0.9684/sq mi)|
|Area||2,524.8 km2 (974.8 sq mi)|
|Website||Aboriginal Shire of Kowanyama|
The Aboriginal Shire of Kowanyama is a special local government area which is located on western Cape York Peninsula in Queensland, Australia. It is managed under a Deed of Grant in Trust under the Local Government (Community Government Areas) Act 2004.
The area originally was set up as the Mitchell River Mission in 1916. Aboriginal people from the region were gradually drawn from their traditional lands into the mission settlement. Language groups associated with countries in the Kowanyama region are Yir-Yoront, Yirrk Thangalkl, Koko Bera and Kunjen (Uw Oykangand and Olkola dialects).
In 1967 the Anglican church were no longer able to sustain their activities in the area as a Church Mission. The Department of Aboriginal and Islander Affairs, a government department, under the Act continued running the affairs of the community.
On 23 July 1987, under the Community Services (Aborigines) Act 1984, a Deed of Grant in Trust was given to the Kowanyama community over the lands in the Mitchell River delta. Like other DOGIT communities of the time, Kowanyama had a town Council elected by Aboriginal people living in the community. The newly formed Kowanyama Council assumed responsibility for implementing certain conditions of the DOGIT. Seven elected Aboriginal residents hold three year terms in office.
As the Shire operates under the Local Government Act 2009, the Shire Council's responsibilities are the generally the same as other local government in remote Queensand including for fisheries, alcohol management and even operation of some commercial enterprises.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Kowanyama (S)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- "2008 Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". results.ecq.qld.gov.au. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "2012 Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". results.ecq.qld.gov.au. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "2016 Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". results.ecq.qld.gov.au. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council
- PDF Map including detail of Kowanyama DOGIT Lands