Type of site
|Created by||Tony Conrad |
|Alexa rank||13,959 (October 2018[update])|
about.me is a personal web hosting service co-founded by Ryan Freitas, Tony Conrad and Tim Young in October 2009. The site offers registered users a simple platform from which to link multiple online identities, relevant external sites, and popular social networking websites such as Facebook, Flickr, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Twitter, Tumblr, and YouTube. It is characterized by its one-page user profiles, each with a large, often-artistic background image and abbreviated biography.
On February 5, 2013, it was announced that Conrad had bought back majority control of About.me from AOL; although no specifics were revealed on the purchase price, Conrad did say that it was a fraction of the price AOL paid to originally buy it. Conrad believed that there were no advantages in being owned by AOL, and that the site did not fit with AOL's current business model (which has emphasized online content rather than social networking services). The site returned to becoming a startup, and began another funding round following the announcement.
- "About.me Traffic, Demographics and Competitors - Alexa". www.alexa.com. Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- "About.Me Launches with Ultimate Personal Domain Brand". Business Wire. 2010-12-09.
- "Newly Minted Social Identity Startup About.me Gets Acquired by AOL". SocialTimes. 2010-12-21.
- "About.me Buys Itself Back from AOL". Bits. The New York Times. 2013-02-05.
- "About.me acquired by mobile-first small business startup Broadly". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-04-04.