About a Boy (TV series)
|About a Boy|
|Based on||About a Boy|
by Nick Hornby
|Developed by||Jason Katims|
|Theme music composer||Brett Dennen|
|Composer(s)||Jon Ehrlich & Jason Derlatka|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||33 (6 unaired) (list of episodes)|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Distributor||NBCUniversal Television Distribution|
|Original release||February 22, 2014– July 20, 2015|
About a Boy is an American single-camera television sitcom that aired on NBC from February 22, 2014, to July 20, 2015. The show was developed by Jason Katims and premiered as a midseason replacement following the 2014 Winter Olympics. It was the second adaptation based on the 1998 novel of the same title by Nick Hornby, preceded by the 2002 theatrical film. The series starred David Walton, Minnie Driver and Benjamin Stockham, and used "Comeback Kid (That's My Dog)" by Brett Dennen as its theme song.
On May 9, 2014, NBC renewed About a Boy for a second season. Season 2 premiered on October 16, 2014, and contained 20 episodes. The fourteenth episode of season 2 aired on February 17, 2015, before the show went on hiatus to accommodate the return of The Voice.
Successful songwriter and bachelor Will Freeman lives a carefree life in San Francisco as the "ultimate man-child". His perfect world is turned upside down when single mother Fiona and her 11-year-old son Marcus move in next door.
- David Walton as Will Freeman, a successful songwriter and bachelor. After he wrote a hit song he was granted a life of free time, free love and freedom from financial woes. He's single, unemployed and loves it. When Fiona and Marcus move in next door, he starts to bond with them.
- Minnie Driver as Fiona Bowa, a vegan hippie and an overbearing mother to her only child, Marcus, whom she is raising by herself. She was once married and then got divorced. Fiona likes to meditate, take care of flowers, and doesn't like her new neighbor, Will.
- Benjamin Stockham as Marcus Bowa, an 11-year-old only child. He is possibly too close to his mother, since she raised him by herself since he was a kid. He is not very popular at school, so he is often teased by popular boys. When he and his mom move to a new house, he meets his new neighbor Will in whom he finds a new best friend.
- Al Madrigal as Andy. He is Will's best friend. He has four children and his wife is Laurie. He thinks that raising a child is the greatest honor that person can have. He is more mature than Will, since he has children that he needs to take care of. He was once a DJ.
- Annie Mumolo as Laurie (season 2, recurring in season 1). She is Andy's wife, with whom she has four children. Laurie and Will tend to not get along even with Andy's persistence.
- Adrianne Palicki as Dr. Samantha Lake, Will's love interest in seasons 1 and 2.
- Chris Diamantopoulos as Mr. Chris, Marcus's teacher
- Izabela Vidovic as Shea Garcia-Miller, Marcus' friend and love interest in season 2. She is loosely based on the character Ellie from the book and movie.
- Andrea Anders as Joanne
- Cricket Wampler as Hannah Bickleman
- Dax Shepard as Crosby Braverman (along with Crosby's infant daughter Aida Braverman)
- Dusan Brown as Jackson
- Keith Powell as Richard
- Leslie Bibb as Dakota
- Rachel Breitag as Shasta
- Zach Cregger as TJ
- Christine Woods as Liz
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||13||February 22, 2014||May 13, 2014|
|2||20||October 14, 2014||July 20, 2015|
On January 10, 2014, NBC announced that About a Boy would premiere following the 2014 Winter Olympics on February 21, 2014, at 10:30 pm EST (later revised by the network to Saturday, February 22, at 11:05 pm EST). It then moved to its regular timeslot on Tuesday, March 4, 2014, 9:00 pm EST following The Voice.
On May 9, 2014, NBC renewed About a Boy for a second season.
On May 11, 2015, NBC officially cancelled About a Boy after two seasons.
A total of 33 episodes were produced over two seasons.
|Season||Timeslot (ET)||Episodes||Premiered||Ended||TV Season||Rank||Viewers|
About a Boy aired on Global in Canada shortly after the original broadcast. In the United Kingdom and Ireland, the series premiered on Sky 1 on March 31, 2014. The second season premiered on February 22, 2015. In South Africa, it airs on M-net. In Brazil, it airs on HBO Family and on Germany, Austria and Switzerland, it airs on Comedy Central Germany. The second season debuted on October 16, 2014. The show used to air everyday from Monday to Friday at 9:30 pm on Comedy Central India. It premiered in Australia on June 1, 2015, on FOX8. As of February 2016, both seasons were released on Netflix streaming.
- "NBC Reveals Its 2013-14 Primetime Schedule". The Futon Critic. May 12, 2013. Retrieved May 12, 2013.
- "About a Boy". NBCUniversal Media Village. Archived from the original on December 11, 2013. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (January 10, 2014). "NBC Sets Premiere Dates for 'About a Boy', 'Growing Up Fisher', 'Believe', 'Crisis' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 9, 2013). "NBC New Series Pickups: Sean Hayes, DJ Nash, 'Crisis', 'About A Boy', 'Believe'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley; Rose, Lacey (May 9, 2013). "NBC Series Orders: 'Crisis,' 'Believe,' 'About a Boy,' Sean Hayes, D.J. Nash Comedies". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "'Hannibal', 'About a Boy' Renewed by NBC". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Minnie Driver on Twitter: "Ok well it's our penultimate episode tonight.. @NBCAboutaBoy 9.30/8.30 ct"". Twitter.com. 2015-02-10. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- Thomas, Kaitlin (2015-02-10). "About a Boy Is "Probably" Canceled, According to Series Star Minnie Driver – About A Boy Community". TV.com. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 8, 2015). "'About a Boy' & 'Marry Me' Cancelled By NBC". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- "About A Boy: Season 2, Episode 15 "About a Trunk": Amazon Digital Services, Inc". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- "About a Boy, Season 2 on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2014-10-14. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- "About A Boy – Movies & TV on Google Play". Play.google.com. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- Reiher, Andrea (April 8, 2014). "'About a Boy': Dax Shepard visits as 'Parenthood' character Crosby Braverman". Zap2it. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "TV News | 'Marry Me' and 'About a Boy' have been cancelled by NBC". entertainment.ie. 2015-05-11. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- Bibel, Sara (February 23, 2014). "NBC's 'About a Boy' Preview Draws 8.26 Million Viewers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 14, 2014). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'The Voice', 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' & 'The Goldbergs' Adjusted Up; 'The Originals', 'Supernatural', & 'About a Boy' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- Deadline Team, The (May 23, 2014). "Full 2014-14 Series Rankings". Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (October 15, 2014). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'The Flash', 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.LD.', 'The Voice' & 'The Mindy Project' Adjusted Up; 'About A Boy' & 'Chicago Fire' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on October 16, 2014. Retrieved October 15, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (February 19, 2015). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'The Flash' & 'NCIS' Adjusted Up; 'Supernatural' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 19, 2015.
- de Moraes, Lisa (May 21, 2015). "Full 2014-15 TV Season Series Rankings: Football & 'Empire' Ruled". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on May 22, 2015. Retrieved July 30, 2015.
- "About a Boy — Episode Guide". Global Television Network. Shaw Media. Archived from the original on February 12, 2015. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Munn, Patrick (March 19, 2014). "Sky1 Acquires UK Rights To 'Star-Crossed' & 'About A Boy'". TV Wise. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Munn, Patrick (February 11, 2015). "Sky1 Sets UK Premiere Date For 'About A Boy Season 2". TV Wise. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Nowakowski, Ole (November 6, 2014). "Gute Freunde kann niemand trennen: 'About a Boy' ab dem 16. November auf Comedy Central". Viacom International Media Networks. Retrieved February 27, 2015.
- Owoko, Anyiko (October 15, 2014). "About a Boy is second time awesome". DSTV. Multichoice. Archived from the original on February 12, 2015. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Knox, David (May 11, 2015). "Airdate: About a Boy". TV Tonight. Retrieved May 12, 2015.