Abrahámovce, Bardejov District
|First mentioned||1427|
|• Total||5.899 km2 (2.278 sq mi)|
|Elevation||265 m (869 ft)|
|• Density||58/km2 (150/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Abrahámovce is a village and municipality in Bardejov District in the Prešov Region of north-east Slovakia. The municipality lies at an altitude of 265 metres and covers an area of 5.899 km². It has a population of about 342 people. The village is about 99% Slovak. The village has a public library and a football pitch.
Names and etymology
The name comes from a Slavic personal name Obran, later it was incorrectly associated with the biblical Abraham. In the 15th-16th centuries the name was recorded as Abranfalua (one record), Abran (the most frequent version) or Abraham (only from the second half of the 16th century).
- Uličný, Ferdinand (1990). Dejiny osídlenia Šariša. Košice: Východoslovenské vydavateľstvo. p. 13. ISBN 80-85174-03-0.
The records for genealogical research are available at the state archive "Statny Archiv in Presov, Slovakia"
- Roman Catholic church records (births/marriages/deaths): 1732-1895
- Greek Catholic church records (births/marriages/deaths): 1800-1895
- Lutheran church records (births/marriages/deaths): 1732-1895
- Census records 1869 of Abrahamovce are available at the state archive.
- Official homepage
- Surnames of living people in Abrahamovce
|This Prešov Region geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|