Sir Abraham Hume, 2nd Baronet
He was appointed High Sheriff of Hertfordshire for 1774  and also elected at the 1774 general election as a Member of Parliament (MP) for the borough of Petersfield in Hampshire, and holding the seat until the 1780 general election, when he did not contest Petersfield again.
He was returned to the House of Commons 27 years later, at the 1807 general election as an MP for the borough of Hastings in Sussex. He resigned the seat in early 1812 in order to contest a by-election in Boston, where he was defeated in April 1812, and was then re-elected for Hastings at a by-election later the same month. At the 1812 general election, he contested both Boston and Hastings, but was elected only in the latter, and held that seat until the 1818 general election, when he contested neither Boston nor Hastings.
Both Sir Abraham Hume and his wife were active as rosarians and developed several rose cultivars at their estate in Hertfordshire. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in December 1775, and one of the founding members of the Geological Society and the British Institution.
He was a keen art collector, especially of Old Master prints and drawings (drawings by Polidoro da Caravaggio were a particular favourite). He was friends with Sir Joshua Reynolds who left him in his will a small painting by Claude Lorrain, now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
They had issue:
- Amelia Hume (21 January 1772 – 15 January 1837)
- Amelia Sophia Hume (31 July 1788 – 21 February 1814), she married John Cust, 1st Earl Brownlow.
- See Hume, Abraham (1749–1838), in Dictionary of National Biography, 1885–1900, Volume 28.
- Complete Baronetage
- Stooks Smith, Henry. (1973) [1844–1850]. Craig, F. W. S., ed. The Parliaments of England (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 130. ISBN 0-900178-13-2.
- Stooks Smith, pages 337–8
- Stooks Smith, page 197
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 2)
- "Library and Archive Catalog". Royal Society. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- Sir Abraham Hume
- Drummond, Henry (1844). History of Noble British Families. London: William Pickering.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir Abraham Hume
|Parliament of Great Britain|
|Member of Parliament for Petersfield
With: William Jolliffe
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir William Middleton, Bt
Sir John Nicholl
|Member of Parliament for Hastings
With: George Canning 1807–12
James Dawkins 1812–18
George Peter Holford
|Baronetage of Great Britain|
(of Wormleybury, Herts)