Abraham Kiptum running the Amsterdam Marathon in 2017
|Born||15 September 1989|
Nandi County, Kenya
|Event(s)||5000 metres, 10,000 metres, Half Marathon, Marathon|
|Coached by||Joshua Kiprugut Kemei|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||10,000 metres: 27:44* |
10K run: 29:18
Half marathon: 59:09
Abraham Kiptum (born 5 September 1989) is a Kenyan long-distance runner and former half marathon world record holder. On 28 October 2018 Kiptum ran the Valencia Half Marathon in Valencia, Spain in a time of 58:18, which would have been a world record (world record 58:23), but in 2019 this world record was nullified, because of a doping violation verdict in 2019. The half marathon world record was then improved by Geoffrey Kipsang Kamworor on 15 September 2019, to a time of 58:01.
Kiptum's debut in the marathon was the Rabat Marathon in 2015, where he placed third with a time of 2:11:36. In the inaugural Abu Dhabi Marathon on 7 December 2018, he finished as the runner-up with 2:04:16, 12 seconds behind the winner Marius Kipserem. He improved his PB from the 2017 Amsterdam Marathon by 70 seconds.
On 26 April 2019 The Athletics Integrity Unit confirmed a Provisional Suspension against Kiptum for an Athlete Biological Passport (ABP) violation under the IAAF Anti-Doping Rules. Kiptum was withdrawn from the 2019 London Marathon in consequence of the suspension. On 11 November that year, a four year suspension, and expunging of results, was confirmed. Kiptums race time's going back to 13 October 2018 were nullified.
Abraham Kiptum was born in Chepketei Kosirai Village, Kenya as the third of four children. Kiptum went to Kosirai Primary School and Kipmokoch Secondary School. He is coached by Joshua Kiprugut Kemei.
|2016||Lagos City Marathon||Marathon||Lagos||1st||2:16:19|
|Casablanca Half Marathon||Half Marathon||Casablanca||1st||1:01:26|
|Madrid Half Marathon||Half Marathon||Madrid||1st||1:01:52|
|Copenhagen Half Marathon||Half Marathon||Copenhagen||2nd||59:09|
|Valencia Half Marathon||Half Marathon||Valencia||DQ|
|Abu Dhabi Marathon||Marathon||Abu Dhabi||DQ|
- "Abraham Kiptum". iaaf.org. International Association of Athletics Federations. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "Abraham KIPTUM - Athlete Profile". IAAF.
- "Geoffrey Kamworor Smashes Half Marathon WR With 58:01". www.flotrack.org. Retrieved 2019-09-28.
- "Abraham Kiptum rewrote the general perception on how to prepare to run a world record - RunBlogRun". www.runblogrun.com. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Kipserem clocks 2:04:04 at inaugural Abu Dhabi Marathon| News | iaaf.org". www.iaaf.org. Retrieved 2019-03-03.
- PROVISIONAL SUSPENSIONS IN FORCE, Athletics Integrity Unit
- Abraham Kiptum: Kenyan runner gets four-year ban for anti-doping violation
- "Q&A: Half Marathon WR Holder Abraham Kiptum Reveals His Workouts Before Running 58:18". www.letsrun.com. Retrieved November 12, 2018.