Abraham Lempel in 2007
10 February 1936 |
Lwów, Poland (now Lviv, Ukraine)
|Institutions||Technion - Israel Institute of Technology|
|Known for||LZ77, LZ78|
|Notable awards||Paris Kanellakis Award (1997)
IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal (2007)
Lempel was born on 10 February 1936 in Lwów, Poland (now Lviv, Ukraine). He studied at Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, and received a B.Sc. in 1963, M.Sc. in 1965, and D.Sc. in 1967. Since 1977 he has held the title of full professor. Lempel is now a professor emeritus in Technion.
His historically important works start with the presentation of the LZ77 algorithm in a paper entitled "A Universal Algorithm for Sequential Data Compression" in the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory (May 1977), co-authored by Jacob Ziv.
He is the recipient of the 1998 Golden Jubilee Award for Technological Innovation from the IEEE Information Theory Society; and the 2007 IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal, for "pioneering work in data compression, especially the Lempel-Ziv algorithm".
Lempel founded HP Labs—Israel in 1994, and served as its director until October 2007.
The LZ77 and LZ78 algorithms authored by Lempel and Jacob Ziv have led to a number of derivative works, including the Lempel–Ziv–Welch algorithm, used in the GIF image format, and the Lempel-Ziv-Markov chain algorithm, used in the 7-Zip and xz compressors. The algorithms have also been used as originally published in formats such as DEFLATE, used in the PNG image format.
- Jacob Ziv, Abraham Lempel (May 1977). "A Universal Algorithm for Sequential Data Compression" (PDF). IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 23 (3): 337–343. doi:10.1109/TIT.1977.1055714.
- "IEEE Transactions On Computers: Contributers". Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. December 1970. Retrieved 2014-10-30.
- "Golden Jubilee Awards for Technological Innovation". IEEE Information Theory Society. Retrieved 2014-10-30.
- "IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal Recipients" (PDF). IEEE. Retrieved 2014-10-30.
- Abraham Lempel - GHN: IEEE Global History Network
- DBLP: Abraham Lempel
- Technion: Computer Science Department: Prof. Abraham Lempel
- Abraham Lempel: Senior HP Fellow at the Wayback Machine (archived July 6, 2008)
- Abraham Lempel at the Mathematics Genealogy Project