Abraham Lincoln High School (San Jose, California)
|Abraham Lincoln High School|
555 Dana Avenue
|School district||San Jose Unified School District|
|Teaching staff||78.26 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||23.06|
|Color(s)||Navy blue and gold|
|Mascot||Leo the Lion|
|Newspaper||Lincoln Lion Tales|
Abraham Lincoln High School is a high school in the San Jose Unified School District. It is a magnet school for "Academic, Visual, and Performing Arts" (AVPA). The current principal is Matthew Hewitson.
Abraham Lincoln High School offers various extracurricular activities. Eight Lincoln Performing Arts teachers along with numerous volunteers are responsible for the drama, dance, and music department. Lincoln is also noted for its Mock Trial team, which is the one of only two California Mock Trial teams to have won the California State Championships twice in a row (the other is La Reina High School). Lincoln Lion Tales, a student-run newspaper, highlights recent events at the school.
The school has five performing arts programs; Orchestra, Band, Choir, Dance, and Drama.
Lincoln's orchestral program consists of three ensembles: Intermezzo, string orchestra and the Lincoln High Chamber Orchestra. The orchestral program also has two spinoff groups: Lincoln's mariachi band and the Lincoln Philharmonic Orchestra.
Lincoln has a variety of bands ranging from a classical wind symphony to the Jazz Band. Also, each of the school's musicals features a live "pit band".
The school's choir program consists of about a half dozen choir classes with levels ranging from beginning to advanced.
With a dozen classes and hundreds of performers, the dance department is Lincoln's largest performing arts program. Lincoln also is home to 3 dance teams. "The Convertibles" and "Lincoln Performance Company" perform lyrical, classical, and jazz pieces. There are the Xochitl Cultural and Folklorico Dance programs.
The drama department puts on four productions per year in addition to a three-day "One Act Festival" at the end of each year. The four show season features two musicals and two plays. The department itself consists of five theatre class and two technical theatre groups that cover a wide range of material each year.
The school mascot is a Lion. The school colors are blue and gold. Lincoln High offers cross country, water polo, tennis, volleyball, basketball, wrestling, football, baseball, softball, soccer, golf, badminton, track and field, and swimming.
The football teams of San Jose High School and Lincoln face off at San Jose City College each Thanksgiving in the Big Bone Game. This rivalry game has been held since 1942 and is held annually at neutral-site San Jose City College. It gets its name from a San Jose High School student who, in 1942, found a large steer leg in his father's butcher shop and declared it the trophy for the winning school. The junior varsity football teams from both schools hold the Little Bone Game annually on the Thursday prior to the Big Bone Game.
The track and field is named after Don Bowden, a Lincoln High School student who went on to the Olympics and to become the first American to beat the 4 minute mile.
This section does not cite any sources. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
0.3% American Indian, 4.4% Asian, 2.4% Filipino, 3.0% African American, 16.9% White, 69.2% Latino, 0.5% Pacific Islander, two more races 2.2%
- Don Bowden, an Olympic runner and the first American to break the 4 minute mile.
- Courtney Bryan, professional American football player
- Lorna Dee Cervantes, poet
- Bob Bowman (outfielder), former Major League Baseball player for Philadelphia Phillies
- Megan Dirkmaat, 2004 Summer Olympics silver medalist; Rowing
- Shamako Noble, hip-hop artist and political activist
- Bud Ogden, professional basketball player
- Ralph Ogden, professional basketball player
- Anjelah Johnson, American actress, stand-up comedian
- "Abraham Lincoln High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 2, 2021.
- "About Us". www.sjusd.org. San Jose Unified School District. Archived from the original on 29 October 2014. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Staff Directory". www.sjusd.org. San Jose Unified School District. Archived from the original on 29 October 2014. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "San Jose's Lincoln High presents two performing arts events for the holidays".
- "TEAM: Roster Coutney Bryan". Miami Dolphins. Archived from the original on 2008-02-24. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lorna Dee Cervantes
- Robin Shepherd (April 28, 2004). "Oar Corps: The Los Gatos Rowing Club celebrates 25 years". Los Gatos Weekly-Times. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Megan Dirkmaat". USRowing. Archived from the original on 2007-12-14. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Bud Ogden". basketball-reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. 2010. Retrieved September 18, 2010.
- "Ralph Ogden". basketball-reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. 2010. Retrieved September 18, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Abraham Lincoln High School (San Jose, California).|