Abrahaminte Santhathikal official poster
|Directed by||Shaji Padoor|
|Produced by||TL George|
|Written by||Haneef Adeni|
|Music by||Gopi Sundar|
|Edited by||Mahesh Narayan|
|Distributed by||Goodwill Entertainments|
|Box office||₹38 crore|
Abrahaminte Santhathikal (lit.: Descendants of Abraham) is a 2018 Indian Malayalam-language action-crime thriller film directed by debutant Shaji Padoor and written by Haneef Adeni. The film stars Mammootty and Anson Paul in the lead roles, and Kaniha, Tarushi, Renji Panicker, Yog Japee and Kalabhavan Shajon in pivotal roles. Shot in Ernakulam, principal photography began on 5 January 2018 and ended in March. Gopi Sundar scores music to the film and editing is handled by Mahesh Narayan.
The film was released on 16 June 2018.
There is a series of murders involving 8 victims. ASP Derick Abraham (Mammootty), after another person is killed, figures out that the serial killer is a hard-line Christian, using the killer's note, and those being targeted are atheists. He captures the killer: Brother (Christian) Simon of the local seminary. Bro. Simon tells him he will definitely reach his target of 10 people. When Derick leaves and comes back, Bro.Simon is found dead with a slash on his throat and a knife in his hand, presuming he committed suicide, revealing the tenth person was himself. Derick is suspended due to this.
His family consists of only his younger brother Philip Abraham (Anson Paul), who is a training as a sharp shooter. Their parents died in a car accident when they were young. Philip is later accused of killing his girlfriend Aleena (Tarushi) while drunk, and is severely beaten up by Derick's senior officer, Narayana Sethupathi (Yog Japee). Derick is forced to arrest his beloved brother as the evidence is against him. Philip pleads that he's innocent and has been trapped. Unable to cope with his brother's arrest, Derick becomes a drunkard.
Meanwhile at the jail, Phillip starts to hate him and vows to kill Derick once he's released. Dinesh (Siddique), the jail warden, hears this and tells him he can help with the escape to settle his personal score with Derick. The latter had once arrested the Dinesh's and Narayana's sons in a kidnapping case. Narayana's son committed suicide before being arrested, so these two have a grudge against Derick. Philip, with the help of Dinesh and Narayana, later escapes prison.
Philip's close friend Nisam (Anoop Vijay) meets Derick and discloses the events that occurred in the fateful night of the murder of Philip's girlfriend. On that night, Philip was with Nisam and two of his other friends, Arun (Maqbool Salmaan) and Salman. He was heavily drunk and fell asleep. Aleena called to meet him at the beach but Arun answered the phone and reached the place with the others instead. They physically assaulted her and she got killed in the process. Derick, on realizing this, now wants to convince the police department that Phillip is innocent. However, the next day Nisam commits suicide.
Philip, in the meanwhile, attempts to kill Derick in a supermarket but fails. Derick finds Arun and Salman at a car wash and tells them to surrender but they refuse and fight him instead. The child of Derick's ex-girlfriend, Diana (Kanika), is kidnapped and despite her hatred towards Derick, is forced to seek his help and he accepts. To avoid any harm to her, the ransom money of Rs. 10 million is arranged and Derick goes with the police keeping a safe distance. The kidnappers are shown to reach the place and take the money but they don't release the kid. The police follow and catch them, but on inquiring comes to know that they were paid to be the decoy. CI Sukumaran (Kalabhavan Shajohn), who was Derick's close acquaintance, tells Diana, Dinesh, Narayana and SP Shahul Hameed (Renji Panicker), the head of the investigation, that all this is part of a plan by Derick and Philip. It was their plan to escape prison in the first place, make the others believe that there was hatred between them and kill Arun and Salman: the real culprits. Derick wanted to get Philip out of the country for his safety and secure his life, with the help of Issac (Shyamaprasad), so the ransom amount was used for this purpose. However, all this was done without leaving any evidence.
Derick emotionally bids farewell to Phillip as he leaves. At the police station, DYSP Johnny mocks Derick of his suspension 3 years before. However, it's revealed that Derick actually killed Bro.Simon and cleared up the evidence.
- Mammootty as Derick Abraham
- Anson Paul as Philip Abraham
- Kanika as Adv. Diana Joseph
- Tarushi Jha as Aleena Maria Jacob
- Yog Japee as Narayana Sethupathi
- Siddique as Dinesh
- Renji Panicker as SP Shahul Hameed
- Sijoy Varghese as Joseph Esthappan
- Kalabhavan Shajon as CI Sukumaran
- Suresh Krishna as DYSP Johnny
- Sudev Nair as Bro. Simon
- Maqbool Salmaan as Arun
- Shyamaprasad as Issac
- I. M. Vijayan as DYSP Muhammed Jalal
- Spadikam George as Jacob
- Jayakrishnan as Joseph
- Sohan Seenu Lal
- Soumya Sadanandan
- Master George
- Adhil Unais Hussain
- Retheesh Krishnan
- Anoop Vijay as Nisam
- Gilu Jose as Mariya
- Bindu Delhi as Mrs. Sethupathi
Produced under Goodwill Entertainments, Abrahaminte Santhathikal was announced on 7 September 2017 by producer Joby George on Mammootty's birthday. It is the directorial debut of Shaji Padoor, an associate director in Malayalam cinema for 22 years, and is scripted by Haneef Adeni. In fact, Mammootty had been insisting Shaji to direct a film over 15 years and had given an open date. Mammootty plays a cop named Derrick Abraham in the film. Shaji said that the plot revolves around an investigation but it is not a dark thriller, and the protagonist appears uniformed in one or two shots only. The other cast and crew have not been finalised as of January.
By December end, Anson Paul, Kaniha, Siddique, Renji Panicker, Suresh Krishna and Tamil actor Yog Japee were confirmed. With a puja event in Kochi on 1 January 2018, cinematographer Alby, editor Mahesh Narayan, composer Gopi Sundar and make-up artist Ronex Xavier joined the crew. At the event, Mammootty introduced his and Anson Paul's roles as "Abraham's two children". Anson and Ratheesh Krishnan, who plays a throughout role, were also Mammootty's suggestions in the cast. Principal photography started on 5 January 2018 in Kolenchery, Eranakulam. Mammootty was shot on that day at a house at Choondy. Kaniha chose it since a Mammootty film and joined in January second week, playing a public prosecutor. Tarushi who plays Anson's love interest was shot for 10 days. Filming ended by mid-March.
The movie was released on 16 June 2018 in Kerala. It was released in Gulf countries on 21 June and in rest of India the following day. The Times of India and International Business Times gave the film positive reviews.
The film collected ₹41 lakhs from US box office in its four weeks. The film grossed $860,055 from UAE box office in six weeks. It grossed a total of ₹38 crore worldwide at the end of its theatrical run.
|1.||"Yerusalem Nayakan shafeeke"||Gopi Sundar||Sreya Jayadeep||3:44|
|2.||"Mulla Poovithalode"||Serin Francis||Haricharan||3:29|
|3.||"Kanneerattil"||Gopi Sundar||Vijay Yesudas||4:03|
- "Mammootty's thrilling looks in 'Abrahaminte Santhathikal' poster". Sify. 23 May 2018. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- Narayanan, Nirmal (27 December 2018). "Mollywood 2018: List of top 5 blockbusters that stormed box office". International Business Times. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- സ്വന്തം ലേഖകൻ (9 September 2017). "മമ്മൂട്ടിയുടെ പിറന്നാൾ ദിനത്തിലെ സർപ്രൈസ്" [Surprise on Mammootty's birthday]. Manorama News (in Malayalam). Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "'അബ്രഹാമിന്റെ സന്തതികളു'മായി മമ്മൂട്ടിയെത്തുന്നു" [Mammootty with Abrahaminte Santhathikal]. Indian Express (in Malayalam). 7 September 2017. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- Subhalekshmi, B R (7 September 2017). "മകളുടെ കൂട്ടുകാരിയുമായുളള സൌഹൃദത്തിന്റെ കഥ പറഞ്ഞ് അങ്കിൾ". Kala Kaumudi. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Anusree Madhavan (25 September 2017). "15 വര്ഷങ്ങളായി മമ്മൂട്ടി പറഞ്ഞു കൊണ്ടിരിക്കുന്ന വഴക്കിന് ഷാജിയുടെ മറുപടി". Mathrubhumi (in Malayalam).
- Harikumar J. S (14 June 2018). "Mammootty is back as an IPS officer in 'Abrahaminte Santhathikal'". The Hindu. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "Abrahaminte Santhathikal will see Mammootty in his next cop avatar, Derick Abraham". New Indian Express. 12 September 2017. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Sanjith Sidharthan (31 December 2017). "Anson Paul, Kaniha join Mammootty's next". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 February 2018.
- "Abrahaminte Santhathikal". Mathrubhumi. 5 January 2018. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- Sanjith Sidhardhan (2 January 2018). "Mammootty and Anson Paul to play brothers". Times of India. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- Vandana Mohandas (15 January 2018). "Anson's fanboy moment". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 17 June 2018.
- Priya Sreekumar (1 July 2018). "A wonderland called cinema". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 2 July 2018.
- "മമ്മൂട്ടിയുടെ അബ്രഹാമിന്റെ സന്തതികൾ കോലഞ്ചേരിയിൽ" [Mammootty's Abrahaminte Santhathikal in Kolenchery]. Kerala Kaumudi (in Malayalam). 6 January 2018. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- Anjana George (7 January 2018). "Kaniha's New Year begins with a bang". Times of India. Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- Vidya Nair (20 June 2018). "Thrilled to be in Mollywood". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- Deepa Soman (30 May 2018). "Tarushi plays the role of Aleena Maria in 'Abrahaminte Santhathikal'". Times of India. Retrieved 12 June 2018.
- Sanjith Sidhardhan (16 April 2018). "Mammootty's firebrand avatar in Abrahaminte Santhathikal revealed". Times of India. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "Mammootty's Maamankam second schedule to start in May". New Indian Express. 19 March 2018. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Jayaram, Deepika (17 May 2018). "Abrahaminte Santhathikal to release on July 15". Times of India. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- Mythily Ramachandran (20 June 2018). "Mammootty to thrill again in 'Abrahaminte Santhathikal'". Gulf News. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- "Friday Fury - June 22". Sify. 22 June 2018. Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- Abrahaminte Santhathikal Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India, retrieved 17 June 2018
- Narayanan, Nirmal. "Abrahaminte Santhathikal - First day, first show, first review is here". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 17 June 2018.
- "Dhadak collects approx. 1.32 mil. USD [Rs. 9.09 cr.] in overseas". Bollywood Hungama. 23 July 2018. Retrieved 15 August 2018.
- "Abrahams". Box Office Mojo. 30 July 2018. Retrieved 15 August 2018.
- "മമ്മൂട്ടിയും കുട്ടികളും ഒരുമിക്കുന്ന അബ്രഹാമിലെ ആദ്യഗാനം" (in Malayalam). Malayala Manorama. 15 May 2018. Retrieved 24 May 2018.