Abreu e Lima, Pernambuco
|Abreu e Lima
Município de Abreu e Lima
Location of Abreu e Lima in Pernambuco
|Founded||May 14, 1982|
|• Mayor||Marcos José da Silva (PT, 2013-2016) (o)|
|• Total||126.193 km2 (48.723 sq mi)|
|Elevation||19 m (62 ft)|
|• Density||780/km2 (2,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BRT (UTC-3)|
Abreu e Lima is a Brazilian municipality in the state of Pernambuco. It is located in the Metropolitan Region of Recife, also known as Greater Recife. Abreu e Lima covers 126.193 km2 (48.723 sq mi), and has a population of 98,201 with a population density of 780 inhabitants per square kilometer. 75% of the area of the municipality is rural, but only 8% of the population lives outside of the urban center.
The city was named in honor of José Inácio de Abreu e Lima (1794-1869), also known as "Inácio Pernambucano".  Born in Portugal, he participated in battles in Pernambuco and fought alongside Simón Bolivar in the wars of independence of Venezuela and Colombia.
Folklore is among Abreu e Lima's main attractions. Visitors can enjoy the drums and energetic rhythm of Maracatu dance performance, as well as Ciranda dance groups such as the one led by Dona Odete do Coco. The city's main festivity is the Emancipation Festival, every May 14. Also, over 70 percent of its territory is covered by virgin Atlantic Forest and environmental reserves, such as those of São Bento and Caetés.
- State - Pernambuco
- Region - RMR (Recife)
- Boundaries - Igarassu and Araçoiaba (N); Paulista (S and E), Paudalho (W)
- Area - 126.193 km2 (48.723 sq mi)
- Elevation - 19 kilometres (12 mi)
- Hidrography - Small coast rivers
- Vegetation - Atlantic forest, Capoeirinha[clarification needed], sugarcane plantation and mangrove
- Clima - Hot tropical and humid
- Annual average temperature - 25.2 °C (45 °F)
- Main roads - BR 101
- Distance to Recife - 22 kilometres (14 mi)
The main economic activities in Abreu e Lima are based in commerce, general industry especially chemical and metallurgic. Also the primary sector plays an important role.
|Population ||GDP x (1000 R$).||GDP pc (R$)||PE (%)||RMR (%)|
Economy by Sector 2006
|Primary sector||Secondary sector||Service sector|
|HDI (2000)||Hospitals (2007)||Hospitals beds (2007)||Children's Mortality every 1000 (2005)|
Abreu e Lima has the highest percentage (35%) of Evangelical Christians of any municipality in Brazil according to the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE) census of 2010, just below the percentage of Roman Catholics. Under Municipal Law 632 of 2008, October 31 is a public holiday in Abreu e Lima, the Day of Evangelical Conscience (Dia da Consciência Evangélica).
Abreu e Lima is served by 33 schools: 22 in the urban area of the municipality, and 11 in the rural area.
- "HISTÓRIA" (in Portuguese). Abreu e Lima, Pernambuco, Brazil: Prefeitura de Abreu e Lima. 2014. Retrieved 2015-02-13.
- "Abreu e Lima" (in Portuguese). Brasília, Brazil: Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatstica. 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- http://www.maplandia.com/brazil/pernambuco/paulista/abreu-e-lima/ Map of Abreu e Lima
- http://www.recifeguide.com/pernambuco/abreu-e-lima.html Article on Abreu e Lima
- http://www.fallingrain.com/world/BR/30/Abreu_e_Lima.html Information on Abreu e Lima geology
- http://www.diariodepernambuco.com.br/app/noticia/politica/2013/02/25/interna_politica,425156/ha-30-anos-grupo-de-vereadores-protagonizaram-o-primeiro-ato-pela-redemocratizacao.shtml[permanent dead link]
- http://www.ibge.gov.br/home/estatistica/populacao/estimativa2009/POP2009_DOU.pdf IBGE Population 2009 Abreu e Lima, page 31]
- Abreu e Lima 2007 GDP IBGE pág 29 Archived March 4, 2016, at the Wayback Machine.
- PE State site - City by city profile
- "Pernambuco » Abreu e Lima » censo demográfico 2010: resultados da amostra - religião" (in Portuguese). Brasília, Brazil: Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatstica. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- "Dia da Consciência Evangélica" (in Portuguese). Abreu e Lima, Pernambuco, Brazil: Prefeitura de Abreu e Lima. 2015. Retrieved 2015-02-13.
- "Escolas Municipais" (in Portuguese). Abreu e Lima, Pernambuco, Brazil: Prefeitura de Abreu e Lima. 2015. Retrieved 2015-02-13.