Abroad with Two Yanks
|Abroad with Two Yanks|
Original film poster
|Directed by||Allan Dwan
John E. Burch (assistant)
|Edited by||Richard V. Heermance
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|July 24, 1944|
|86 mins (original)
Abroad with Two Yanks is a 1944 American comedy film directed by Allan Dwan and starring Helen Walker, William Bendix and Dennis O'Keefe as the title characters. It was Bendix's third and final role in a film as a US Marine and the first of Dwan's three films about the United States Marine Corps.
Arriving in Australia after the Battle of Guadalcanal, two Flagg and Quirt type American Marines compete with each other by stealing the other's Australian girlfriend. Their intense rivalry leads to their arrest and escape from confinement dressed as women.
William Bendix ... Cpl. Biff Koraski
Helen Walker ... Joyce Stuart
Dennis O'Keefe ... Cpl. Jeff Reardon
John Loder ... Sgt. Cyril North
George Cleveland ... Roderick Stuart
Janet Lambert ... Alice
James Flavin ... Sgt. Wiggins
Arthur Hunnicutt ... Arkie
The film was originally announced as one of Hal Roach's Streamliners titled Yanks Down Under starring William Bendix. Due to Hal Roach's contract for filming training films for the American Army, the film and Bendix's commitment to it was sold to producer Edward Small with Roach employee Fred Guiol to be credited as a producer. The film was the end of Roach's arrangement with United Artists.
The film was also known as Waltzing Matilda prior to shooting. O'Keefe did it under a two picture deal with Edward Small.
The Screen Guild Theater" broadcast a 30 minute radio adaptation of the movie on April 9, 1945 with William Bendix and Dennis O'Keefe reprising their film roles  with Marjorie Reynolds in Helen Walker's role.
"A bunch of Marines have been doing their stuff,
You can tell by their clothes that the going was tough;
After chasing the Japs right into the sea,
They head for Australia for crumpets and tea."
- p.190 Ginibre, Jean-Louis Lithgow, John & Cady, Barbara Ladies Or Gentlemen: A Pictorial History of Male Cross-Dressing in the Movies Filipacchi Publishing, 01/11/2005
- p.128 Ward, Richard Lewis A History of the Hal Roach Studios SIU Press, 15/08/2006
- SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD: Virginia Mayo Will Be Seen in Bob Hope Film -- 'Chip Off the Old Block' at Capitol Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 16 Mar 1944: 17.
- SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD: Dennis O'Keefe Signed for 2 Pictures by Edward Small -- 3 Films Open Today Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 25 Nov 1943: 39.
- At the Globe T.M.P.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 26 Oct 1944: 19.
- Bendix, O'Keefe Score in War Comedy Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 05 Oct 1944: A9.
- Comedy Yanks Plan Entry Into Paris, Too: Topical 'First Man in Tokyo' Scheduled; Marsha Hunt Joins Garson Entourage Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 28 Aug 1944: 8.
- "Hedy Lamarr Sues Producer.". The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954) (Hobart, Tas.: National Library of Australia). 24 June 1944. p. 19. Retrieved 29 May 2013.