Absheron National Park
|Absheron National Park
Abşeron Milli Parkı
|Area||783 hectares (7.83 km2)|
|Governing body||Republic of Azerbaijan
Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources
|Designated||February 8, 2005|
Absheron National Park (Azerbaijani: Abşeron Milli Parkı) — is a national park of Azerbaijan and was established on 8 February 2005 by the decree of the President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev, on an area of 783 hectares (7.83 km2) in the administrative territory of the Azizbeyov district of Baku city, on the base of Absheron State Nature Preserve. It was set up by Order 622 of the President of Azerbaijan.
Fauna and flora
The Absheron State Nature Preserve was created in July 1969 in order to protect gazelles, Caspian seals and water birds that inhabit the territory. The climate of the area is semi-arid, specific to semi-desert and dry steppe. Types and phytomass of flora is poor here, plants are changed respective of water and saltiness regime of area. Sea coastal sand plants (42,6%), meadows with jigilgamish and paz grass (13,2 %), one-year saline grasses (5,2 %) etc. are spread. Ephemeras also develop well in early spring.
List of fauna
- In dry area gazelle, jackal, fox, rabbit, badger, in Caspian waters seal and various fishes, birds such as silver gull, wheezing swan, grey and red-headed black, white-eyed black ducks, big white bittern, sandpiper, bald-coot, marsh belibagli, sea bozcha and other migrant birds have inhabited here.
- Bypassing the eastern part of the Caucasus, Absheron Peninsula marked the southern point of the range of the Asiatic lion in the Trans-Caucasus, before the end of the 10th century.
- The Caspian tiger used to invade Apsheron Peninsula from the Talysh Mountains and Lankaran Lowland, before disappearing in the 20th century.
- The Caucasian leopard, lynx, and striped hyena were reported in this area.
- Nature of Azerbaijan
- National Parks of Azerbaijan
- State Reserves of Azerbaijan
- List of protected areas of Azerbaijan
- "Azerbaijan National Parks". www.tourism.az. Archived from the original on 2009-02-13. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Tourism Azerbaijan". www.tourism.az. Archived from the original on 2009-04-14. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- Heptner, V. G.; Sludskij, A. A. (1992) . Mlekopitajuščie Sovetskogo Soiuza. Moskva: Vysšaia Škola [Mammals of the Soviet Union. Volume II, Part 2. Carnivora (Hyaenas and Cats)]. Washington DC: Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation. pp. 1–732.
- Absheron National Park Official Website - Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Azerbaijan (in English)
- National Parks: Absheron National Park - Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Azerbaijan (in English)
|This Azerbaijan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a protected area in Asia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a protected area in Europe is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|