||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Show type||Resident show|
|Date of premiere||2006|
|Location||Caesars Palace, Las Vegas|
Absinthe is a live show, created and produced by Spiegelworld.
Inspired by the cabarets of late 19th century Europe where the absinthe green liqueur was regularly served, Absinthe is an adults-only variety show featuring acrobatics, burlesque and contemporary vaudeville. The show features an international cast of around 20 artists who perform extremely close to the audience.
Headed by its Impresario Extraordinaire Ross Mollison, Spiegelworld conceived an immersive party atmosphere for Absinthe, where the guests are as much a part of the show as what happens on stage. Audience members are seated around a nine foot diameter circular stage and are encouraged to take advantage of the full bar service on offer during the entertainment.
The host character at the centre of Absinthe is The Gazillionaire who is joined each night by one of his assistants which over the years have included Penny Pibbets, Joy Jenkins, Wanda Wibbles and Daisy Dibbles. Once the bartender character opens his bottle of absinthe at the top of the show, the hallucinatory effects of the notorious green liqueur are unleashed. The Green Fairy descends, ignites the show with a seductive song, and then leads the audience through a 90 minute rotating line-up of sexy and dangerous acts from all over the world.
Absinthe was first presented by Spiegelworld in 2006, in an intimate spiegeltent on the pier at New York City’s South Street Seaport. The show returned to New York City in the summer of 2007.
Following seasons on Miami South Beach (2007) and at Melbourne’s Australian Open (2009), the show has been playing in a 600 seat tent on the forecourt of Caesars Palace Las Vegas since April 1, 2011, co-presented by BASE Entertainment. The creative team includes director Wayne Harrison, choreographer Lucas Newland, and costume designer Angus Strathie.
A touring production of Absinthe by Spiegelworld was presented in Australia by Nine Live in 2015, and played seasons in Newcastle, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Sydney.
On March 31 2016, Absinthe celebrated its fifth anniversary in Las Vegas with an aerial performance by artist Bath Boy in the Caesar Palace fountain, followed by an after-show party where the entire audience were dressed as The Gazillionaire.
In November 2016, Las Vegas Weekly named Absinthe number one in its article on the 20 greatest shows in Las Vegas history.
In March 2017, a new touring production of Absinthe by Spiegelworld was presented by L.A. Live in Los Angeles and played for ten weeks.
During its world premiere season in 2006, The New York Times said “Imagine Cirque du Soleil as channeled through The Rocky Horror Picture Show and painted by George Grosz. A blend of skill, erotic innuendo and zaniness. The memorable moments make a jaded audience literally gasp.”
Paul Carr of The Huffington Post proclaimed “If I could only see one show my entire life, I’d want it to be that.” The Chicago Sun-Times said, ”Totally off-the-wall, sexy, funny, unabashedly raunchy.”
When Absinthe opened in Las Vegas, the critics were equally effusive. Robin Leach in Vegas Luxe Life said “Naughty and nice, exotic and erotic, wild and wacky Absinthe.”
In 2016, Las Vegas Weekly named Absinthe the #1 greatest show in Las Vegas history, and said, “A performance of Absinthe is almost criminally fun. It is the domain of the Gazillionaire, the gold-toothed, foul-mouthed, lecherous dirtbag who runs the show. For the entirety of Absinthe’s 90 wildly entertaining minutes, you feel like you’ve discovered something new, or stumbled onto a secret meeting of acrobats, dancers and reprobates. And the first thing you want to do after is tell everyone you know.”
In Australia, Fairfax Media said, “Spiegelworld is not so much Cirque du Soleil’s evil twin, it’s more a distant relative who’s served prison time and is off the Christmas card list. The Australian newspaper said, “‘Absinthe is an extraordinarily polished, dynamic, bullet-train of a show… so fast, so foul-mouthed and yet so talented. There are most extraordinary bodies doing most extraordinary things.” Arts Hub said, “Absinthe is incredibly funny, visually thrilling and showcases some of the best circus talent from around the world. If you’re after a boozy night out filled with saucy circus, burlesque and cabaret, you’re going to have a blast.”
The long running Las Vegas production of Absinthe has been attended by celebrities including Britney Spears, Gerard Butler, Daniel Radcliffe, Channing Tatum, James Franco, Neil Patrick Harris, Melissa McCarthy, Olivia Newton John, Ice-T and Redfoo.
- Las Vegas Weekly Awards (2011) – Voted “Best New Show”
- Vegas Chatter Awards (2011) - Voted “Best Show”
- Vegas Seven Best of the City Awards (2011) – Voted “Best New Show”
- Broadway World Awards (2012) – Voted “Best Resident Show”
- Vegas Chatter Awards (2012) - Voted “Best Show”
- Las Vegas Weekly Awards (2013) - “Best production show to bring visitors to”
- Vegas Chatter Awards (2013) - Voted “Best Show”
- Las Vegas Review Journal (2014) - Voted “Best Adult Show”
- Vegas Chatter Awards (2014) - Voted “Best Show”
- In Vegas Awards (2014) - Voted “Most Shock Value”
- Timeout.com (2014) - Rated #1 in “Top 10 Las Vegas Shows”
- Thrilllist.com (May, 2015) - Voted one of the “13 Most Amazing Shows in Las Vegas Right Now”
- FoxNews.com (November 2015) - Voted #4 in “5 Best Shows to see in Las Vegas”
- DailyStar.co.uk (December, 2015) - Rated #1 in “Top 5 Vegas Shows”
- Trippy Awards (2016) – Best Act in Las Vegas
- Las Vegas Weekly (November 2016) – Ranked # 1 in “The 20 Greatest Shows in Las Vegas History”
- Sirens of TI
- Moulin Rouge
- Le Lido
- Folies Bergère
- Casino de Paris
- Paradis Latin
- Cabaret Red Light
- Tropicana Club
- "ABSINTHE Celebrates Two Successful Years on The Strip with a Zombie Invasion". VegasNews.com. March 30, 2013.
- "The 20 greatest shows in Las Vegas history". lasvegasweekly.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Best new Strip show: Absinthe". lasvegasweekly.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Vegas Chatter 2011 Awards". forum.americancasinoguide.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Best New Show". vegasseven.com. 28 July 2011. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- Coverage, BWW Special. "2012 BWW Las Vegas Awards Winners Announced - VEGAS! THE SHOW Wins Big!". broadwayworld.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- REVIEW-JOURNAL, JASON BRACELIN LAS VEGAS (31 March 2014). "Arts & Entertainment: 2014 Best of Las Vegas results". bestoflasvegas.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- Kachelriess, Rob (21 December 2015). "The Thrillist Awards: Vegas' Best New Food, Drink & Everything Else of 2015". thrillist.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "5 best shows to see in Las Vegas". foxnews.com. 10 November 2015. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Bet on Vegas for a great party: Best things to do in Sin City". dailystar.co.uk. 18 December 2015. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Best of Las Vegas 2016 Award Winners". bestoflasvegas.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.