|Manufacturer||The Absolut Company AB (Pernod Ricard)|
|Country of origin||Åhus, Sweden|
|Proof (US)||80 - 100|
|Related products||List of vodkas|
Absolut Vodka is a brand of vodka, produced near Åhus, in southern Sweden. Absolut is a part of the French group Pernod Ricard. Pernod Ricard bought Absolut for €5.63 billion in 2008 from the Swedish state. Absolut is one of the largest brands of spirits in the world (after Officer's Choice, Smirnoff, Bacardi) and is sold in 126 countries.
Absolut practices a One Source production philosophy, meaning that all of their production takes place in and around the village of Åhus, Sweden. The water and wheat are both sourced only from the village. Absolut uses CO2 neutral distillation (carbon emissions offset by planting trees that absorb CO2 over their lifetime).
Absolut was established in 1879 by Lars Olsson Smith and is produced in Åhus, Sweden. Smith challenged the city of Stockholm's liquor marketing monopoly with his vodka. It was sold outside the city border at a lower price than the monopoly's product. Smith offered free boat rides to the distillery and "Rent Brännvin" was highly successful.
In 1917, the Swedish government monopolized the country's alcohol industry. Vodka was then sold nationwide under the name "Absolut Rent Brännvin". In 1979, the old name Absolut was picked up when the upper-price range ABSOLUT VODKA was introduced. Renat is still a euphemism for spirits in Sweden, and the name of another vodka product sold by Pernod Ricard Sweden AB.
Lars Olsson Smith
Lars Olsson Smith was born 1836 in Kiaby and died 1913 in Karlskrona, Sweden. L.O. Smith was an entrepreneur, parliamentarian and founder of Absolut Rent Brännvin (Absolutely pure spirit). It was the inspiration for Absolut Vodka. L.O. Smith launched a method that removes contaminants such as glut in the spirits. L.O. Smith came from a peasant family in Blekinge and quickly made a career in the retail trade as an 6-year-old. He later moved to Stockholm and started manufacturing and selling vodka at his factory at Reimersholme.  
In the early 1980s in New York, Absolut Vodka was popular among the creative community. Absolut's first advertising campaign was created by TBWA for the brand's U.S. Importer, Carillon Importers, Ltd.
Absolut Vodka is known for its long-running advertising campaign created by TBWA. The first of these ads, typical of the rest, was introduced in 1981 and featured a picture of the bottle with a halo over the cap above the slogan "ABSOLUT PERFECTION".
Absolut's first advertising campaign ran for fifteen years from its launch in 1980. The campaign has encompassed many different kinds of ads, such as art, fashion, cities, spectaculars, Hollywood, etc. The advertising has won hundreds of awards, including charter membership in the American Marketing Association's Marketing Hall of Fame. Absolut was inducted into the Hall in 1992 along with just two other brands: Coca-Cola and Nike.
In 1983, Carillon's President/CEO Michel Roux approached the artist Andy Warhol, whom he paid $65,000 to create an advertisement for Absolut. Over the years, Carillon commissioned the work of well-known painters, graphic designers, fashion designers, as well as many up-and-coming artists. During the 2017 Corporate Art Awards Ceremony hosted by the President of the Italian Republic Sergio Mattarella at the Quirinal Palace, Absolut received by pptArt a special award “for their long-running collaboration with 550 artists on 850 projects to shape their corporate image and brand”. The talents included such names as Damien Hirst, Rosemarie Trockel, Helmut Newton, Javier Mariscal, Maurizio Cattelan, Louise Bourgeois and many, many more.
In 2008, an advertisement placed in Mexican publications and on Mexican billboards featured a map of the U.S. and Mexico with the boundaries between the two as they were prior to the 1836 Texas Revolution and the Mexican–American War. Media outlets reported on some American consumers' reactions at the advert's perceived insensitivity to immigration issues. Absolut responded that the adverts were purely whimsical, with no political or nationalist agenda, but its critics were adamant. Absolut later issued a public apology and withdrew the advert.
In 2012, Absolut partnered with Swedish House Mafia to create an original track and music video to promote Absolut Greyhound cocktail. “Greyhound”–which is the title of the drink, the video, and the actual music track–is a video created by TBWA\Chiat\Day, where three groups of racing enthusiasts converge on the Bonneville Salt Flats to watch robotic greyhounds speed across the plains, holding pink Absolut Greyhounds in their hands.
In 2013, Absolut launched the Global 'Transform Today' Campaign by the creative agency, Sid Lee. The creative features four artists. Sid Lee recruited four international emerging artists to inspire younger generations. French artist, director and musician Woodkid, American digital media artist Aaron Koblin, fashion designer Yiqing Yin and Brazilian graphic novel artists Rafael Grampa is featured.
As part of this platform, Absolut launched the Absolut Creative Competition in 2018 which was an art competition. In May 2019 Absolut announced the global winner that was selected by global juries such as Mickalene Thomas, Aaron Cezar and Bose Krishnamachari. Sarah Saroufim from Lebanon was declared the winner from 7,500 entrants with her design.
The Absolut Collectors Community collects Absolut Bottles and Absolut Ads. Absolut have since the launch in 1979 developed over 1000 different bottle designs, sizes and variations. The exact number of bottle variations are not known. Limited edition bottles for specific events or cities are very popular. The Absolut Community consists of around 5000 people. Facebook is a major hub for many collectors, both on a local and international level. There are also forum websites like Absolut Regis where collectors show their collection. The bottles are valued higher if they are sealed and unopened. The Collector's community arranges local meetings as well as a biannual trip to Åhus, Sweden. Absolut Regis  & Absolut AD  are two websites showing large collections. In 2019 Absolut launched a newsletter for Absolut Collectors.
Absolut Peppar was the first flavoured vodka launched by Absolut. Influenced by the popularity of the Bloody Mary in the US during the 1980s, Absolut Peppar was introduced for bartenders to use for skipping a step when creating the Bloody Mary Cocktail.
- Absolut Citron (1988) – lemon flavored vodka. 40% ABV.
- Absolut Kurant (1992) – black currant flavored vodka. 40% ABV.
- Absolut Mandrin (1999) – mandarin and orange flavoured vodka. 40% ABV.
- Absolut Vanilia (2003) – vanilla flavored vodka. 40% ABV.
- Absolut Raspberri (2004) – Raspberry flavoured vodka. 40% ABV.
- Absolut Apeach (2005) – Peach flavored vodka. 40% ABV.
- Absolut Pears (2007) - Pear flavored vodka. 40% ABV.
- Absolut Mango (2007) – Mango flavored vodka. 40% ABV.
- Absolut Berry Acai (2010) - Açaí, blueberry and pomegranate flavor vodka. 40% ABV.
- Absolut Äpple (2011) – Apple and ginger flavored vodka. 40% ABV.
- Absolut Lime (2017) – Lime flavored vodka. 40% ABV.
- Absolut Grapefruit (2018) – Grapefruit flavored Vodka. 40% ABV.
Previous Flavored Vodka products no longer produced include:
- Absolut Ruby Red (2006) – Grapefruit Flavored Vodka. 40 ABV.
- Absolut Cilantro (2013) – Coriander and lime flavored Vodka. 40% ABV.
- Absolut Wild Tea (2010) – Tea and elderflower flavored vodka. 40% AV.
- Absolut Hibiskus (2012) – Hibiscus and Pomegranate flavored vodka. 40% ABV.
- Absolut Gräpevine (2011) – white grape, dragon fruit and papaya flavored vodka. 40% ABV.
- "Absolut Vodka - One Source Story". Absolut.com. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Planet Earth´s Favorite Vodka". Absolut. Archived from the original on 2019-10-14. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "The story". Absolutad.com. 1979-04-17. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Vodka giants experience change of fortune". Thespiritsbusiness.com. 2018-06-15. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- The Brännvinskungen story of LO Smith, Pelle Berglund, 2017, The publishing house Business History.
- "L.O. Smith - the man on the seal of the Absolut bottles - L.O. Smith". Losmith.se. 1913-12-11. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- Tungate, Mark (2007). ADLAND. Philadelphia: Kogan Page, Ltd. pp. 133–134. ISBN 0 7494 4837 7.
- Absolut Legacy, book
- ’Absolut Book. The Absolut Vodka Advertising Story’ by Richard W. Lewis
- Lewis, Richard W. (1996). ABSOLUT BOOK. Boston: Journey Editions. p. 65. ISBN 1-885203-32-2.
- Sandomir, Richard (2019-05-10). "Michel Roux, Whose Vodka Success Was Absolut, Is Dead at 78". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-05-13.
- "Il Presidente Mattarella ha ricevuto i partecipanti al Convegno "Mecenati del XXI secolo"". 22 November 2017.
- "Corporate Art Awards - Corporate winners". 22 November 2017.
- "Absolut : In An Absolut World". Ad Age. 2007-05-02. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- Lynch, Jason (2007-04-27). "'Absolut World' Debuts – Adweek". Adweek.com. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Mexico reconquers California? Absolut drinks to that!". latimes.com.
- "Tuesday Map: Absolut Reconquista". Foreign Policy.
- "ABSOLUT IDIOCY: RECONQUISTA VODKA". New York Post.
- "La reconquista mexicana de Absolut". LA VANGUARDIA. 7 April 2008.
- "A Vodka Tonic for Mexico's Loss?". TIME.com. 8 April 2008.
- Posted: December 02, 2009 (2009-12-02). "Absolut Print Advert By TBWA: Bloody base | Ads of the World™". Adsoftheworld.com. Retrieved 2020-03-14.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Duncan Macleod (2010-01-24). "Absolut I'm Here". The Inspiration Room. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Absolut's Robo Greyhound-Driven Video Extravaganza". Fastcompany.com. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Absolut Vodka/Swedish House Mafia – Greyhound | This is not ADVERTISING". Thisisnotadvertising.wordpress.com. 2012-03-23. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Absolut Launches Global 'Transform Today' Campaign 09/16/2013". Mediapost.com. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Absolut Transform Today — PEET". Pdoubleet.com. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "From Warhol to Koblin & Woodkid: Sid Lee Taps Modern Day Artists for New Absolut Campaign". Ad Age. 2013-09-09. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Absolut Vodka - Absolut Creative Competition Winner". Absolut.com. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Absolut vodka Forum :: Jesper's collection". Absolutregis.xooit.com. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Absolutregis a website for all the absolut vodka collectors". Absolutregis.com. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Absolut Ad". Absolut Ad. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Absolut Vodka - Absolut Collectors". Absolut.com. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Absolut Vodka.|