|• Arabic||ابو شخيدم|
Northern part of Abu Shukheidim
|Governorate||Ramallah & al-Bireh|
|• Head of Municipality||Abdullah Ladadwa|
|• Jurisdiction||15,500 dunams (15.5 km2 or 6.0 sq mi)|
|Name meaning||The father of Shukheidim|
In 1863 Victor Guérin found it consisting of a dozen houses. A birket (artificial pond) was lined on the inside with good cement, but needed repairs. Near the birket were several very old buildings. The villagers were compelled to stock up on water at a well located at the bottom of the mountain whose village occupies the summit.
In 1896 the population of 'Abu schechedim was estimated to be about 204 persons.
British Mandate era
In 1945 statistics Abu Shukheidim had a population of 250 Muslims, and a total land area of 1,430 dunams. Of this, 781 dunams were for plantations and irrigable land, 178 were for cereals, while 23 dunams were built-up areas.
The Jordanian census of 1961 found 1,358 inhabitants.
After the 1995 accords, 54.2% of Al-Zaitounah land was defined as Area B, while the remaining 45.8% was defined as Area C. Israel has confiscated 308 dunams of land from Al-Zaitounah in order to construct two Israeli settlements, Talmon and Nahl'iel.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 221
- Finkelstein et al, 1997, p. 406
- Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, 2nd appendix, p. 124
- Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 2, p. 133
- Guérin, 1869, p. 35
- Socin, 1879, p. 142 It was also noted to be in the Beni Harit district
- Hartmann, 1883, p. 126, also noted 14 houses
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 293
- Schick, 1896, p. 124
- Barron, 1922, Table VII, Sub-district of Ramalllah, p. 16
- Mills, 1932, p.47
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 26
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 64.
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 111
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 161
- Government of Jordan, 1964, p. 24
- AL-Zaytouneh Town Profile, ARIJ, p. 18
- Barron, J.B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, C.R.; Kitchener, H.H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Finkelstein, I.; Lederman, Zvi, eds. (1997). Highlands of many cultures. Tel Aviv: Institute of Archaeology of Tel Aviv University Publications Section. ISBN 965-440-007-3.
- Government of Jordan, Department of Statistics (1964). First Census of Population and Housing. Volume I: Final Tables; General Characteristics of the Population (PDF).
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945.
- Guérin, V. (1869). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 1: Judee, pt. 3. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale.
- Hadawi, S. (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center. Archived from the original on 2018-12-08. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- Hartmann, M. (1883). "Die Ortschaftenliste des Liwa Jerusalem in dem türkischen Staatskalender für Syrien auf das Jahr 1288 der Flucht (1871)". Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins. 6: 102–149.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E.H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Robinson, E.; Smith, E. (1841). Biblical Researches in Palestine, Mount Sinai and Arabia Petraea: A Journal of Travels in the year 1838. 2. Boston: Crocker & Brewster.
- Robinson, E.; Smith, E. (1841). Biblical Researches in Palestine, Mount Sinai and Arabia Petraea: A Journal of Travels in the year 1838. 3. Boston: Crocker & Brewster.
- Schick, C. (1896). "Zur Einwohnerzahl des Bezirks Jerusalem". Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins. 19: 120–127.
- Socin, A. (1879). "Alphabetisches Verzeichniss von Ortschaften des Paschalik Jerusalem". Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins. 2: 135–163.
- Welcome to Abu Shukheidim
- Survey of Western Palestine, Map 14: IAA, Wikimedia commons
- AL-Zaytouneh town (fact sheet), Applied Research Institute–Jerusalem (ARIJ)
- AL-Zaytouneh town profile, (ARIJ)
- AL-Zaytouneh aerial photo, (ARIJ)
- Locality Development Priorities and Needs in AL- Zaytouneh Town, (ARIJ)