Abubaker Kaki Khamis
Kaki Khamis at the 2008 IAAF World Indoor Championships
21 June 1989 |
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||63 kg (139 lb)|
|Event(s)||800 metres, 1000 metres|
|Coached by||Jama Aden|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||800 metres: 1:42.23
1500 metres: 3:31.76
Abubaker Kaki Khamis (born 21 June 1989) is a Sudanese runner who specializes in the 800 metres. He is a two-time World Indoor Champion over the distance and also won gold at the 2007 All-Africa Games. He represented Sudan at the 2008 Summer Olympics. He is a member of the Messiria ethnic minority.
In February 2008 he ran a world leading 2:15.7 in the 1000 m indoors in Sweden. On March 9, 2008 in Valencia, Kaki became the youngest ever World Indoor champion after winning the 800 m final at age 18 years and 262 days. On June 6, 2008 he won the Bislett Games Golden League meeting in Oslo by running 1:42.69, a new world junior record. The previous record (1:43.64) was set by Japheth Kimutai of Kenya in 1997. The following month he entered the 2008 World Junior Championships in Athletics as the 800 m favourite. He was closely followed by Geoffrey Kibet in the final but he managed to pull clear on the final straight to win the gold medal.
Kaki finished 8th in the third semi-final for the 800 m and did not advance to the final at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. In the 2009 World Championships in Berlin he tripped in the semi-final, and did not complete the race.
Kaki retained his title at the 2010 IAAF World Indoor Championships at the age of twenty, becoming only the second athlete after Paul Ereng to complete the feat in the men's 800 m. In the outdoor season, he made his first appearance in the 2010 IAAF Diamond League in an 800 m match-up against David Rudisha. Both runners defeated Sebastian Coe's 31-year-old meeting record, but Kaki was not fast enough to beat Rudisha. Kaki's time of 1:42.23 was a new Sudanese record and, at the time, the fastest 800 m time ever recorded for a non-winning athlete. He won at the Memorial Primo Nebiolo later that month in another quick time of 1:43.48. Since then he made the 800m final at the London 2012 Olympic Games where he finished 7th in 1.43.32 a Seasons Best performance.
|2005||World Youth Championships||Marrakech, Morocco||3rd||1500 m||3:45.06|
|African Junior Championships||Radès, Tunisia||7th||800 m||1:50.30|
|2006||World Junior Championships||Beijing, China||6th||800 m||1:48.46|
|2007||All-Africa Games||Algiers, Algeria||1st||800 m||1:45.22|
|7th||4x400 m relay||3:09.37|
|World Championships||Osaka, Japan||30th (h)||800 m||1:46.38|
|Pan Arab Games||Cairo, Egypt||1st||800 m||1:43.90 (NR)|
|2nd||4x400 m relay||3:06.52 (NR)|
|2008||World Indoor Championships||Valencia, Spain||1st||800 m||1:44.81|
|African Championships||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia||2nd||4x400 m relay||3:04.00|
|World Junior Championships||Bydgoszcz, Poland||1st||800 m||1:45.60|
|Summer Olympics||Beijing, China||24th (sf)||800 m||1:49.19|
|2009||World Championships||Berlin, Germany||22nd (sf)||800 m||DNF|
|2010||World Indoor Championships||Doha, Qatar||1st||800 m||1:46.23|
|African Championships||Nairobi, Kenya||4th||4x400 m relay||3:08.52|
|2011||World Championships||Daegu, South Korea||2nd||800 m||1:44.41|
|800 metres||1:42.23 † ‡||4 June 2010||Oslo|
|1000 metres||2:13.62||3 July 2010||Eugene|
|1500 metres||3:31.76 †||22 July 2011||Monaco|
|800 metres||1:44.81||9 Mar 2008||Valencia|
|1000 metres||2:15.77||21 Feb 2008||Stockholm|
All Information taken from IAAF profile.
Key: † = National record
- IAAF. "Athlete profile for Abubaker Kaki".
- "Darfur athletes train as Olympic row rages", Reuters, April 15, 2008
- IAAF Events Reports, Mar 9, 2008
- IAAF, June 7, 2008: Dibaba’s World record and Kaki’s World Junior mark leaves Oslo in awe
- Halford, Paul (2008-07-11). Kaki given a race in the 800m, First gold for Poland – IAAF World Junior Championships – Day Four Evening Report. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-06-14.
- http://www.iaaf.org/oly08/results/eventCode=3659/racedate=08-21-2008/sex=M/discCode=800/combCode=hash/roundCode=sf/results.html#det Results 08-21-2008 – 800 metres M semi-final
- Middle distance magic in Oslo – IAAF Diamond League. IAAF (2010-06-04). Retrieved on 2010-06-07.
- Sampaolo, Diego (2010-06-13). Kaki scorches 1:43.48, Robles improves to 13.08 in Turin. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-06-14.
- IAAF, Kaki Abubaker biography: Kaki Abubaker biography
- Abubaker Kaki Khamis profile at IAAF
- Read Abubaker Kaki Khamis' Rising Star profile on spikesmag.com