Abutilon pictum — syn. Abutilon striatum,(disputed) and commonly known as Redvein Abutilon, Red Vein Indian Mallow, Redvein Flowering Maple, Chinese-lantern or Red vein Chinese lanterns, is a species of Abutilon in the Malvaceae family. It is native to southern Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay. The plant has become naturalised in Central America, and common in horticulture.
The yellow to orange-red bell shaped flowers have prominent dark red veining, with five petals 2–4 cm long. It blooms from April to September, and longer in warmer subtropical areas. The flowers attract pollinators, such as native bees and hummingbirds.
Abutilon pictum is cultivated as a popular ornamental plant, for use in gardens in subtropical climates. They are also planted in containers or pots, on patios and balconies outdoors, or as winter house plants.
Note: both Abutilon pictum and Abutilon striatum are susceptible to Abutilon mosaic virus - while A. pictum simply gets crinkly leaves, A. striatium develops a mottled or variegated leaf that is prized, and often sold as a different variety, notably "Gold dust" in Hawaii.
- Abutilion pictum "Mardi Gras" — Mardi Gras abutilion (syn: Abutilon pictum "Aureomaculatum"); very vigorous form to 10 ft. by 10 ft. but can be kept smaller/espaliered, has large green leaves splashed boldly with gold, narrow light orange flowers.
- Abutilon pictum "Thompsonii" — Variegated Thompson's abutilion (syn: Abutilon striatum "Thompsonii"); speckled yellow and green variegated leaves, orange flowers.
- "Abutilon pictum". Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN). Agricultural Research Service (ARS), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- "BSBI List 2007". Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland. Archived from the original (xls) on 2015-01-25. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- "Abutilon striatum". Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN). Agricultural Research Service (ARS), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- PFAF . accessed 5.15.2013
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992.
- Abutilon mosaic
- Monterey Bay Nursery horticultural index: Abutilon species and cultivars Archived December 4, 2004, at the Wayback Machine..
- Gardensandplants.com: Abutilon pictum "Thompsonii" Archived June 1, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- (in Portuguese) LORENZI, H.; SOUZA, M.S. (2001) Plantas Ornamentais no Brasil: arbustivas, herbáceas e trepadeiras. Plantarum ISBN 85-86714-12-7
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Callianthe picta.|
|Wikispecies has information related to Callianthe picta|