|Range of Acacia confusa|
Acacia confusa is a perennial tree native to South-East Asia. Some common names for it are acacia petit feuille, small Philippine acacia, Formosa acacia (Taiwan acacia) and Formosan koa. It grows to a height of 15m. The tree has become very common in many tropical Pacific areas, including Hawaii, where the species is considered invasive.
Its uses include chemical products, environmental management and food and drink. The bark may be ground into a powder and saturated into water to create a tea, or may be spread onto various foods as a spice and taste enhancer. The wood has a density of about 0.75 g/cm³. In Taiwan, its wood is used to make support beams for underground mines. The wood is also converted to charcoal for family use. The plant is used in traditional medicine and is available from herbal medicine shops (草藥店) in Taiwan, but there has been no clinical study to support its effectiveness. It is also frequently used as a durable flooring material.
Phytochemicals found in Acacia confusa:
- Oxalyldiaminopropionic acid (α-amino-β-oxalylaminopropionic acid), which can cause neurological damage, paralysis, and death.
- N-Methyltryptamine, 0.04%
- World Conservation Monitoring Centre (1998). "Acacia richii". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- International Legume Database & Information Service (ILDIS)
- Pacific Island Ecosystems at Risk (PIER)
- FAO Appendix 1
- Li, Thomas S. C. Taiwanese Native Medicinal Plants: Phytopharmacology and Therapeutic Values, CRC Press (2006), ISBN 0-8493-9249-7, p.2. online GoogleBooks preview
- Arthur, HR; Loo, SN; Lamberton, JA (1967). "Nb-Methylated tryptamines and other constituents of Acacia confusa Merr. Of Hong Kong". Australian Journal of Chemistry. 20 (4): 811. doi:10.1071/CH9670811.
- Quereshi, M.Yasin; Pilbeam, David J.; Evans, Christine S.; Bell, E.Arthur (1977). "The neurolathyrogen, α-amino-β-oxalylaminopropionic acid in legume seeds". Phytochemistry. 16 (4): 477. doi:10.1016/S0031-9422(00)94332-2.
- Acacia confusa on DMT-Nexus Wiki
- Erowid Acacia vault
- Acacia confusa Merr. Medicinal Plant Images Database (School of Chinese Medicine, Hong Kong Baptist University) (traditional Chinese) (English)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Acacia confusa.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Acacia confusa|