Academic health science centre
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
An academic health science centre (AHSC; also known as an academic health sciences centre, an academic health science(s) system, an academic health science(s) partnership or an academic medical centre) is defined by the Association of Academic Health Centers as: "an educational institution that includes a medical school and at least one allied health professional school and either owns or is affiliated with a teaching hospital or healthcare system". AHSCs are intended to ensure that medical research breakthroughs lead to direct clinical benefits for patients. The organisational structures that comprise an AHSC can take a variety of forms, ranging from simple partnerships to, less frequently, fully integrated organisations with a single management board.
In Australia, AHSCs are also referred to as Advanced Health Research & Translation Centres (AHRTCs). AHSCs currently in operation in Australia include:
- Brisbane Diamantina Health Partners (Brisbane, Australia)
- Melbourne Academic Centre for Health (Melbourne, Australia)
- Monash Partners Academic Health Science Centre (Melbourne, Australia)
- South Australian Academic Health Science and Translation Centre (Adelaide, Australia)
- Sydney Health Partners (Sydney, Australia)
- Sydney Partnership for Health, Education, Research & Enterprise (Sydney, Australia)
- Western Australian Health Translation Network (Perth, Australia)
In Canada, AHSCs are also referred to as Academic Healthcare Organizations. AHSCs currently in operation in Canada include:
- Hamilton Health Sciences (Hamilton, Ontario)
- Health Sciences North (Sudbury, Ontario) Only trauma center in Northern Ontario and the neighbouring province of Manitoba.
- London Health Sciences Centre (London, Ontario)
- McGill University Health Centre (Montreal, Quebec)
- The Ottawa Hospital (Ottawa, Ontario)
- Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre (Thunder Bay, Ontario)
- University Health Network (Toronto, Ontario)
- Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre (Vancouver, British Columbia)
- Winnipeg Health Sciences Centre (Winnipeg, Manitoba)
In 2007 a review of healthcare in London led by Professor Lord Darzi, A Framework for Action, recommended the creation of a number of AHSCs. In October 2007 Imperial College Healthcare became the first AHSC to be established in the UK when the Imperial College London Faculty of Medicine merged with the Hammersmith Hospital and St Mary's NHS trusts. Four more AHSCs have subsequently been established in the UK and one is planned.
Funding mainly comes from NHS and work was already "in hand to identify the funding" when expressions of interest were solicited. When contracts were signed with NHS in 2013, AHSCs shared among themselves around £60 million of funding.
With a clear purpose, structure and approach of individual AHSCs is a matter for local decision especially with the contrasting approaches adopted as well as the differences in opinions voiced out by network founders.
- Cambridge University Health Partners (Cambridge)
- Imperial College Healthcare (London)
- King's Health Partners (London)
- West Midlands Academic Health Science Network (Birmingham)
- Manchester Academic Health Science Centre (Manchester)
- Oxford Academic Health Science Centre (Oxford)
- UCL Partners (London)
- Health Science Scotland
- Academic Health Science Partnership (AHSP) (Tayside)
AHSCs currently in operation in the United States include:
- Albany Medical Center, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York
- Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado
- BJC HealthCare, St. Louis, Missouri
- Boston Medical Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California
- Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Geisel School of Medicine, Lebanon, New Hampshire
- Duke University Medical Center (Durham, North Carolina)
- Greenville Health System Clinical University (Greenville, South Carolina)
- Intermountain Medical Center (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore, Maryland)
- Loma Linda University Health (Loma Linda, California)
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women's Hospital, and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School (Boston, Massachusetts)
- Mayo Clinic, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science (Rochester, Minnesota)
- Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina
- Memorial Medical Center and St. John's Hospital (Springfield, Illinois)
- National Academy of Medicine
- National Institutes of Health
- New York–Presbyterian Hospital, Columbia University and Cornell University, New York, New York
- NYU Langone Medical Center, New York University, New York, NY
- Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Ohio State University (Columbus, Ohio)
- OSF Saint Francis Medical Center and the Children's Hospital of Illinois (Peoria, Illinois)
- Providence Alaska Medical Center (Anchorage, Alaska)
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (New Brunswick, New Jersey)
- Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook University- State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY
- Temple University Hospital, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Texas Medical Center (Houston, Texas)
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Tufts Medical Center (Boston, Massachusetts)
- UCLA Health System (Los Angeles, California)
- UC San Diego Health (La Jolla, California)
- UCSF Medical Center (San Francisco, California)
- Uniformed Services University, (Bethesda, Maryland)
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama
- University of Chicago Medical Center, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- University of Connecticut Health Center, University of Connecticut, Farmington, Connecticut
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- University of Connecticut Medical Center (Hartford, Connecticut, and other cities)
- University of Florida Health (UF Health) (Gainesville and Jacksonville, Florida)
- University of Kentucky HealthCare (Lexington, Kentucky)
- University of Louisville Hospital (Louisville, Kentucky)
- University of Michigan Health System, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- University of Mississippi Medical Center, Mississippi
- University of North Carolina Hospitals (Chapel Hill, North Carolina)
- University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, PA
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania
- University of Texas Medical Branch (Galveston, Texas)
- University of Utah Hospital, University of Utah (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- University of Vermont Medical Center, University of Vermont (Burlington, Vermont)
- University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, Wisconsin
- UW Medicine, University of Washington (Seattle, Washington)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee
- Vidant Medical Center, Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University (Greenville, North Carolina)
- VCU Medical Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia
- Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Yale-New Haven Hospital, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
AHSCs currently in operation in other parts of the world include:
- Dublin Academic Medical Centre (Dublin, Ireland)
- Karolinska Institutet (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Copenhagen Health Science Partners (Copenhagen), Denmark)
- Kyushu University Academic Medical Center (Fukuoka, Japan)
- Leiden University Medical Center (Leiden, the Netherlands)
- National University Health System (Singapore)
- Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre (Nijmegen, the Netherlands)
- Trinity Health Ireland (Dublin, Ireland)
- Hamad Medical Corporation (Doha, Qatar)
- Academic Health System Universitas Gadjah Mada (Yogyakarta, Indonesia)
- Wartman, Steven (2015). The Transformation of Academic Health Centers: Meeting the Challenges of Healthcare’s Changing Landscape. Elsevier. p. 290. ISBN 9780128007624. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- Dzau, Victor J; Ackerly, D Clay; Sutton-Wallace, Pamela; Merson, Michael H; Williams, R Sanders; Krishnan, K Ranga; Taber, Robert C; Califf, Robert M (March 2010). "The role of academic health science systems in the transformation of medicine". The Lancet. 375 (9718): 949–953. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61082-5.
- "A Framework for Action". Healthcare for London. Archived from the original on 9 October 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Brisbane Diamantina Health Partners > Home". Brisbanediamantina.com. Retrieved 2017-05-26.
- "University interventions aim to help heal a 'broken' NHS". Times Higher Education. 5 June 2008. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- Academic Health Science Networks: Engaging with Improvement, NHS Confederation, June 2012[permanent dead link]
- Johnson, Sarah (26 April 2013). "Academic Health Science Networks: their role and development". London: The Guardian, 26 April 2013. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "Super trusts: unite and conquer". Health Service Journal. 20 October 2008. Retrieved 6 November 2010.
- "Top hospitals link up with university to form research centre". London Evening Standard. 10 April 2008. Archived from the original on 19 April 2011. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "NHS hospitals to forge £2bn research link-up with university". The Guardian. 7 August 2008. Retrieved 6 November 2010.
- "Home". Cambridge University Health Partners. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Home". Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. Archived from the original on 1 November 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Home". King's Health Partners. Archived from the original on 30 October 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "West Midlands Academic Health Science Network". WMAHSN. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Home". Manchester Academic Health Science Centre. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Health science centre brings University and NHS closer | University of Oxford". Ox.ac.uk. 2013-11-29. Retrieved 2017-05-26.
- "Home". UCL Partners. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Academic health sciences collaboration". The Scottish Government. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Health Sciences Center Home - Health Sciences Center". University.ghs.org. Retrieved 2017-05-26.
- "UCD School of Medicine & Medical Science : Dublin Academic Medical Centre". Ucd.ie. Retrieved 2017-05-26.