Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010)|
|Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay|
|Presented by||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences|
|Currently held by||Alejandro G. Iñárritu
Alexander Dinelaris Jr.
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014)
The Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay is the Academy Award for the best script not based upon previously published material. It was created for 1940 as a separate writing award from the Academy Award for Best Story. Beginning with the Oscars for 1957, the two categories were combined to honor only the screenplay. In 2002, the name of the award was changed from Writing (Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen) to Writing (Original Screenplay).
Noted novelists and playwrights who have received nominations in this category include: John Steinbeck, Noël Coward, Raymond Chandler, Alain Robbe-Grillet, Edward Bond, Arthur C. Clarke, Lillian Hellman, Neil Simon, Tom Stoppard and Terence Rattigan.
The following 77 screenwriters have received multiple nominations for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. This list is sorted by the number of total awards (with the number of total nominations listed in parentheses).
Richard Schweizer was the first to win for a foreign-language film, Marie-Louise. Other winners for a non-English screenplay include Albert Lamorisse, Pietro Germi, Claude Lelouch, and Pedro Almodóvar. Lamorisse is additionally the only person to win or even be nominated for Best Original Screenplay for a short film.
Muriel Box was the first woman to win in this category; she shared the award with her husband, Sydney Box. The Boxes are also the first married couple to win in this category. Only three other married couples won an Oscar in another category. They are; Earl W. Wallace and Pamela Wallace (for Original Screenplay), Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh (for Adapted Screenplay and Picture), and Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez (for Original Song).
Preston Sturges was nominated for two different films in the same year (1944): Hail the Conquering Hero and The Miracle of Morgan's Creek. Oliver Stone achieved the same distinction in 1986, for Platoon and Salvador.
Winners and nominees
Winners are listed first in colored row, followed by the other nominees.
- Academy Awards
- List of Academy Awards ceremonies
- Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay
- Academy Award for Best Story
- List of Big Five Academy Award winners and nominees
- Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay
- BAFTA Award for Best Original Screenplay
- BAFTA Award for Best Adapted Screenplay
- Will this year's Oscar nominations break any records?
- Instead of the categories "Original Screenplay and "Screenplay", it was combined into one category, called "Screenplay", the award was given to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre adapted from the novel of same name
- In 1949, the category was renamed "Story and Screenplay"
- Upon request of his widow and upon recommendation of the Writers Branch Executive Committee, the Board of Governors voted to restore the name of Nedrick Young to the nomination and award presented to Nathan E. Douglas, which was a pseudonym for Mr. Young during the blacklisting period.
- In 1969, the category was renamed: "Story and Screenplay - based on material not previously published or produced
- In 1976, the category was renamed: "Screenplay written directly for the Screen - Based on factual material or on story material not previously published or produced"
- In 1978, the category was renamed: "Screenplay written directly for the screen"